Expeditions West: Moving Back to Canon

Scott Brady

Founder
Well, after two years of hard use and abuse on the Olympus gear, we are shifting back to Canon. There are a few reasons for this, but primary of which is the shocking and disappointing release of the E5. Their flagship camera came to market at 12 mp and with only 720 HDV. That essentially made the E5 about as exciting and relevant for an upgrade as the iPad 2 - or a vacuum cleaner.

However, I do have praise for the E3. It has been the most durable and reliable camera we have ever used. We were purposefully negligent of it, especially towards the end. How much abuse will this thing take? On my last trip to Iceland I kept shooting in a complete downpour, rain running over the camera for at least 5 minutes. It did protest, although only slightly and momentarily as the shutter release would result in 2-3 frames going off in succession. I blew on the button and then it was right again. This camera was also quite compact given its near Land Cruiser build quality, benefiting from the 4/3 sensor size and related lenses. This was especially true at the longer focal lengths.

The Olympus captures some wonderful images and I thank it for that.
164155_10150165450748275_640113274_8566651_3821832_n.jpg

162879_10150165451073275_640113274_8566659_6841118_n.jpg

All told, the shutter released 22,877 times.
Olympus_Kit_Central_America_ExpeditionSM.jpg

While I do have great praise for the durability of the E3 and the quality of the 12-60mm 2.8, 50mm 2.0 and 70-200mm 2.8 lenses, this camera had some significant faults and now in 2011 is nearly completely eclipsed in performance by cameras costing a fraction of the price. Noise at high ISO was always unacceptable, with anything over 640 being unusable in print. That was my biggest complaint. And although 10mp is quite usable, there is so much advantage that comes with 18-22mp images, principally on the cropping side. I needed to alway be so cautious with composition, filling as much of the frame with the intended subject to ensure good sharpness and pixel density. That also resulted in some blown shots, the bumper slightly out of frame, etc.

So I have looked long and hard at what to replace the Olympus with. The Panasonic Lumix GH2 got my attention and I even considered some of the Nikon units. In the end, Canon just does a better job with lenses and HDV (today), and so many of the people I travel with shoot those cameras - nearly all of them actually.

I am giving up some compactness and gaining a whole lotta performance. Given my day job, probably worth the trade.

My new kit will be:
5D MKII
16-35 2.8L
24-70 2.8L
70-200 2.8L IS
60D with 18-135mm IS kit lens (moto and back-up camera)

Maybe for Christmas:
14mm 2.8L

dirty Bakers

Conservative
We were refered to canon and we realy enjoy our eos rebel but we are just beginers any who. My wife and I realy enjoy your photography and I am excited to see if there will be a diference in the pictures you post.

OutaFocus

I shot Nikon while in Photography School, but sold everything off when I took a position at Canon as a Technical Representative. I've been loyal to Canon ever since, so I think you made a great choice.

Your choice of equipment is exactly what I carry. I added only the 100 2.8L IS Macro and the 300 f4L IS.

The difference in IQ going from Micro 4/3 to full frame should be amazing, especially with the quality "L" glass you have chosen.

MatthewThompson

Adventurer
You're not going to be disappointed with the 5D2.

I can't see a reason to upgrade my 5D1 since I have no desire to shoot anything but clean stills. The FF Canon with a fast prime is an elegant tool and the 5D just continues to deliver, job after job.

Check out the Sigma line of EX pro lenses before you shovel out the money for the Canon equivalents. I've been happy with them in all aspects, including a very reasonable price for the negligible performance difference compared to L primes.

ywen

Explorer
If for any reason your canon gear focuses poorly out of the box, consider to get them all calibrated. Canon gear is notorious for poor focus precision, at least that is the reputation in the wedding industry.

Toshio out of NJ is great for this kind of work, or any other Canon equipment repair.. http://www.manta.com/c/mmcyd59/t-f-camera-repair. Send the entire kit to him for calibration and it should come back better than new.

ExploringNH

Explorer
I'm surprised it took this long. While I'm sure the Olympus gear is good stuff, I can't imagine it being in the same category as the Canon gear you are looking into upgrading to. It seems odd to me that anyone who needs to take pictures in a professional type setting would use anything other than Canon/Nikon. I'm looking forward to seeing your future images.

Check out the Sigma line of EX pro lenses before you shovel out the money for the Canon equivalents. I've been happy with them in all aspects, including a very reasonable price for the negligible performance difference compared to L primes.

I agree. Sigma makes some quality glass for a very good price.

Viggen

Just here...
Thats funny as I am moving away from my Canon stuff and back to my old Pentax film 35mm. Planning a big two week trip to Newfoundland or Colorado (kind of heads or tails in toss up right now) and I will be packing my old P30t and K1000 and shooting with them again for the trip. It will be backed up with an Optio WG-1 GPS (that I have pre ordered) that will take great digital photos with geotagging which will help provide locations for the film shots. A little more expensive since I will have to develop and/ or put onto a disc but I like the old feel and that any mistakes are your mistakes since you control just about everything.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I moved back to Canon a few years ago and overall have been very happy. I moved from Canon 35mm and Pentax 645II film cameras to Fuji digital as neither Nikon or Canon had accurate skin color when digital first came on the scene. Loved the Fuji but Fuji never got serious about the bodies and I had to make a decision. I have used just about every digital camera made and have a few different ones as play cameras but I really like the Canon for ease of use and that is what I use at work. When I am teaching on other cameras I do see some benefits that I would like in my Canon, but not enough to make me switch.

The accurate, or to say less than accurate, focus can be an issue. Test your camera and all the lenses when you get them. Canon has gotten better in this area as well, but there are still some issues.

As for film I still have a Pentax 645II but have no desire to go back to film. I can shoot, edit and print up to 44"x100" in minutes with digital. Film does not offer that ability, and it is very hard to find anyplace that is even looking at film today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk