Expeditions with Jeep

HAFICON

Adventurer
I enjoy the build for the most part. Sadly here in the US you are not going to go off the grid very far. But it makes for a fun daily driver, and knowing that the capability is ever there if I need it.

Most of my trips are weekend camping, sadly there is little offered here for primitive camping which puts me at camp grounds. But the kid doesn't care and that is what matters. He is 12 years and learning how to bake bread and cornbread over a fire, cook other good food, using resources in moderation, and getting exposure to a world without electronics.

IMG_5660.jpg

Chicken and dumplings in the fire, cornbread on the side.
IMG_5904.jpg

If I could find a place 100 miles from any town, I would load up on gas, water, food and whatever else and go. Sadly military life, schedule, and location does not work with my plans so I make the best of what I got. If weekend trip is all I can do that is ok they are pretty dang fun. Maybe oneday I will put my rig and gear to the real test.
IMG_5895.jpg

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The Jeep is a great multi-role vehicle

I'm not an "expeditionist", but really enjoy getting out to explore stuff.
Best vehicle previously owned for this was a Eurovan Camper. With it, I could get out of the house in less than 20 minutes. Go explore for a weekend, or a week.
It was used a lot.
The Jeep is getting built to be a more off-road centric version. I've already done a week trip (2,500 miles with 400 of that off road).
After this hunting season it will be utilized quite a bit. It's a great vehicle for more than just off-road adventure. It's also a great sight-seeing vehicle. :smiley_drive:

toymaster

Explorer
....now last year i take the same trails and its crowded with UTVs hauling *** here and there. It used to take time and work now we have engineered a way for lazy people to go way far off the beaten path in short time. Same thing has happened to me in many places in az. the RZR's are very good at what they do. Put a cost to an F150, FWC type camper with trailer and RZR you get to cruise at freeway speeds in comfort, sleep in comfort, haul ***, cover a lot of ground with a RZR. compare that to a jeep with an off road trailer, or sports mobile. sorry for the rant. its friday, i am having some damn good IPA and challenging everyone who seems to have it all simply figured out.

I believe your first question was concerning expeditions (one can only assume vehicle based since we are on that type forum) now it seems you have changed to a base camp scenario. Don't get me wrong here, I like doing both.

An expeditions is where you keep going vs. coming back to an origin, to your base camp. A RZR is not setup for expeditions due to limited fuel range and cargo. Kind of comparing apples to oranges here.

I guess one needs to examine what type of exploring one wants to do then get a set-up to support that. Or, better yet have both kinds :coffeedrink:

goin camping

Explorer
Haficon, Come out west and you'll be able to go from So Cal into Nevada on dirt and boondock camp wherever you like en route.

NMBruce

Adventurer
The JK is a very good vehicle for expedition trips, except maybe the seats. My 2013 JKUR with a 2.5 lift and AEV bumpers and much more has taken me through trails in SW Colorado that I didn't think it would and then up to Alaska and back, pulling a trailer and avg 17.8 mpg. But lately I find that I can't handle more than about 6 hours in the drivers or passagers seats, with out my back hurting. Passagers seat is worst. So there are times we move on, for me I want something that can do about 90% of my JKUR and do it in a more comfort way. The key is finding that vehinthat you want and fits you.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
We go exploring about 3-4 times a week. Weekend trips are normal, and we love the adventure thing. We would do more, but with a son with autism, we need to do certain things, at certain times. But overall, We LOVE adventure trips...

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
After zero hours spent modifying, I drove a bone-stock TJ from Alaska to Argentina.....

Holy crap! I drove a bone stock TJ from San Jose to Sacramento and felt like I needed back surgery afterwards. You must have viscous dampeners in your sacroiliac.

-

It's a love/hate thing but I enjoy building and wrenching as much as adventuring. Dreaming, designing, planning, and researching ideas, where to get mods and parts, etc. takes up far far more time than the actual adventures. Proper prepping for a safe and comfortable adventure is what ensures a successful adventure - even if it takes months in the garage or in front of the computer to prep for a two night trip in the mountains. Its all part of the experience IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3