Expo / Daily-driver JK build (Pic-heavy)

ventura911

Adventurer
Bike rack

Several months ago, I added a custom bike rack (also made by SMP) to hold one or two bikes. It's low-profile, removable to access the spare, and solid:
photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg photo 4.jpgphoto 2 (1).jpgphoto 3 (1).jpgphoto 5.jpg

Last edited:

ventura911

Adventurer
Tentcot attachment hardware

In the past, I used the nuts and bolts that came with the Tentcot to secure it to the rack. I've now upgraded to wire lock pins, making for quick on/off:
photo 1 (1).jpg

Last edited:

ventura911

Adventurer
Dash cam

A couple of weeks ago, my dad was involved in a collision with a gravel truck. The truck was doing about 65 mph when it drifted into his lane, struck the left rear corner of his Prius, and spun him counter-clockwise 90 degrees and directly in front of the truck. As the truck's movement was constant, my dad was then pushed down the highway, sideways against the truck's bumper, until they came to a stop. Fortunately, my dad suffered only minor injuries from the shattered window. His car, however, ended up with about $12K in damages. Lacking independent witnesses, the CHP was unable to find one or the other at fault. Because of this incident, we each bought a Blackvue DR500GW-HD dash cam. Unlike GoPro and other digital cameras, these are basically install-and-forget cameras that are there to provide recorded evidence in the event of an accident. They run continuously, recording the newest segment over the oldest. While they are usually installed behind (in front of?) the mirror, I've temporarily installed mine on the Vector Offroad JK e-dock with a RAM mount part and zip ties and am looking for a better solution.
photo 2 (2).jpgphoto 1 (3).jpgphoto 3 (2).jpgphoto 4 (2).JPGphoto 5 (1).jpg

Last edited:

ventura911

Adventurer
So how does the tent-cot actually attach to the rack studs? Did you fabricate new leg?

When I had the rack built, SMP took the tentcot and fabricated mounts that attach in place of the legs. Posts 43 and 77 have pics showing how it attaches, but if you'd like additional pics or info, let me know.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I need to come into the Jeep forum more often :)

While most of your upgrades are no good for my truck I do REALLY like the idea of using Pelican rifle cases as roof top storage. For some reason I've always written them off as just for my rifles but now that I see yours it makes sense. They are large but still flat enough to not be intrusive. Great thinking on that one.

I also like your water tank behind the rear seat. Again not useable for me but the idea is transferable.

Cooldanish

Awesome build... :drool: I will be stealing many ideas from you :)
I have an 2012 JKUR that I am slowly building out.

I would love to see some pictures of how you installed the Heston water heater?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice write up on your jeep on the home page of Expo. Good recognition of your well thought out and usable modifications. Congratulations!

r3run33

Adventurer
great vehicle! love all your stuff (functional!) with regards to the dash cam how is it hard wired etc plus with all your gadgets; is there any upgrade to the alternator or battery system? also with regards to your water; is it a powered pump and how would you rate it? is it just for kitchen duties? is it powerful enough for shower?

GhostJeep

I just got off the phone with Richardo at SMP Fabworks who's going to hook me up with the right gear for my needs. I've had the double tent cot for a couple years now and really enjoy it but it's always a pain in the ******** about taking up valuable space. I also have an M416 trailer that I've upgraded and I really had a lightning bolt moment when I saw what you've done! Plans are to mount the tent cot on top of the M416, just couldn't find the right mounting brackets. Hence the call to SMP and their great staff. BTW, I hear your rig is back in the shop, can't wait to see what you're having done now...awesome build, keep the great pics coming.

ventura911

Adventurer
great vehicle! love all your stuff (functional!) with regards to the dash cam how is it hard wired etc plus with all your gadgets; is there any upgrade to the alternator or battery system? also with regards to your water; is it a powered pump and how would you rate it? is it just for kitchen duties? is it powerful enough for shower?

The dash cam plugs into a cigarette lighter. I got the optional "Power Magic Pro." It has a power/cigarette lighter socket as well, but adds a controller that allows you to set how long the unit stays on after you shut the vehicle off. Both run to the fuse box and ignition. I haven't upgraded the alternator or battery, but plan on going to a dual battery set up when this one dies.

The pump is a regular RV-type pump and works well for kitchen and shower needs.

ventura911

Adventurer
I just got off the phone with Richardo at SMP Fabworks who's going to hook me up with the right gear for my needs. I've had the double tent cot for a couple years now and really enjoy it but it's always a pain in the ******** about taking up valuable space. I also have an M416 trailer that I've upgraded and I really had a lightning bolt moment when I saw what you've done! Plans are to mount the tent cot on top of the M416, just couldn't find the right mounting brackets. Hence the call to SMP and their great staff. BTW, I hear your rig is back in the shop, can't wait to see what you're having done now...awesome build, keep the great pics coming.

Glad this might work for you and that SMP's helping you out. I don't know Richardo (Richard? Ricardo?), only Mike and his son, Steven, but there was another guy working there today, too. I only stopped in to see Steven about making a small mounting plate for the e-dock and the dash cam. Sorry, nothing big!

Make sure you post up your work; I'd like to see how it turns out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal