Expoordition 2011 Thread

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Have you nailed down what you'll be taking for photography/video?

He'll be taking me :)

I have a Canon 7D with good glass (HD vid and images) and Chris has a lower end Nikon dSLR (images only). We are hoping to beg borrow or steal a GoPro HD from Scott. The current challenge is sourcing a laptop computer that can process it all..then learning how to create videos. I have legit copies of Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3 and Adobe Premier Elements 9 but don't know how to use either of the last two programs...yet. I am trying to finagle a MacBookAir through my company (I travel a lot and made a business case of out of it), but have not heard anything regarding my request. If I score one of those, we should have the computer side squared away then it's just experimenting with the software to be able to create the videos.

We will uploaded to SmugMug along the way (we both have accounts here and here), and will be posting to a dedicated adventure thread here on ExPo.

Hmmm... are we going to need to an AirCard to be able to upload....?

697224032_7WBeJ-XL.jpg

clcoyle

Explorer
Christopher-

I look forward to reading all about your adventure.

Good Luck and Safe Travels.

God Speed, Christopher

Last edited:

cbradley

Adventurer
Have you nailed down what you'll be taking for photography/video?

I'm working on that now. I've got a fund set aside for a camera, but I had hoped to keep it around for a full frame body. I'm still a bit of a hold over from film and still think in 35mm. Besides, the wide angle options for Nikon are limited on the DXs.

That said, the possibility of saving up enough for a D700, even used, are looking a bit unrealistic. I may go with a used D80 or possibly buy a D5100. The latter would solve the video problem, but give the fund a much bigger hit.

Nathan's Canon could solve that problem if I borrowed it, but I don't think I will be able to learn to use it competently in the little bit of time I may have with it. My fall back option will be to rent a video camera or Nikon body from Borrow Lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Total Chaos arms

snip.........

Upper Control Arms: Total Chaos
As with many vehicles, as soon as you do a suspension lift on the 4Runner, you start having problems getting the alignment back into spec, as well as running into clearance issues with even slightly wider tires. Though I had lusted after those beautiful, aluminum billet Icon control arms, I ended up going with the significantly cheaper Total Chaos alternatives. From a functional stand point, they have worked fine, but truth be told, I hate them. They squeak. A lot. Embarrassingly so, and loudly. I have yet to find the magic grease that will shut them up, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will eventually figure it out.
snip.......

Wow, sorry to hear that and I guess I've been really lucky. I have been running the same upper control arms for a little more than a year/12,000-mi.+ and not a peep out of them... guess I'll pay for typing that ;)

loren85022

Explorer
He'll be taking me :)

I have a Canon 7D with good glass (HD vid and images) and Chris has a lower end Nikon dSLR (images only). We are hoping to beg borrow or steal a GoPro HD from Scott. The current challenge is sourcing a laptop computer that can process it all..then learning how to create videos. I have legit copies of Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3 and Adobe Premier Elements 9 but don't know how to use either of the last two programs...yet. I am trying to finagle a MacBookAir through my company (I travel a lot and made a business case of out of it), but have not heard anything regarding my request. If I score one of those, we should have the computer side squared away then it's just experimenting with the software to be able to create the videos.

]

Along with the go pro, I might suggest 1 or 2 low budget cams that will do time-lapse sequence work. Set at 1- sec, this is a great way to shoot a bumpy trail and avoid motion blur. Great for sun set, camp setups, etc. Also keeps the data to a min.

You might consider 1 light stand for holding a strobe. Maybe a gorilla arm type. This will greatly enhance your evening shots. Just don't forget it trailside as you forge on < lesson I learned the hard way>

I'd also bring an audio recorder. Great for recording thoughts, and B-roll material.

Lance suggested a food squad or two meet you guys along the way. Perhaps a few 'photo ops' could be built in to the schedule as well. I by no means am implying you aren't fully capable to cover the adventure, but you always get more variety with others involved.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Loren, those are terrific suggestions! Thank you.

As I see it, the challenge with an off camera strobe is affording the control unit? I have a Speedlight 580EX Flash (not the 580EX II), and I would have to buy a fairly expensive control unit for it...I think? I'm not very familiar with my flash. I've had it for many years, and it still has the original batteries in it! 99.5% of my shots are in daylight so far. Funding is thin on this trip, so I don't think we'll be buying any remote controller units for this trip. Adding more cameras is also something we are not going to be able to afford, unless they were donated or something. Fortunately, the GoPro can be programmed for timelapse captures, and they work well. I really like your idea of filming camp set up and so forth. We will absolutely do that. I also have a decent tripod, though I could use a better head on it.

As for trip meet-ups, yes, we are going to encourage that, once we know the route. Right now, I only know its in Arizona, and is called the Arizona Traverse, but I have no clue where that is, nor does Chris. Scott Brady is going to send us some route info soon. I hope :)

This weekend Chris and I will be sitting down and working through preliminary logistics, vehicle prep lists, gear lists, and so forth.

cbradley

Adventurer
Along with the go pro, I might suggest 1 or 2 low budget cams that will do time-lapse sequence work. Set at 1- sec, this is a great way to shoot a bumpy trail and avoid motion blur. Great for sun set, camp setups, etc. Also keeps the data to a min.

You might consider 1 light stand for holding a strobe. Maybe a gorilla arm type. This will greatly enhance your evening shots. Just don't forget it trailside as you forge on < lesson I learned the hard way>

I'd also bring an audio recorder. Great for recording thoughts, and B-roll material.

Lance suggested a food squad or two meet you guys along the way. Perhaps a few 'photo ops' could be built in to the schedule as well. I by no means am implying you aren't fully capable to cover the adventure, but you always get more variety with others involved.

As an addendum to what Nathan said, I have a few other thoughts. Thanks for the suggestions. I have a small budget set aside for rental equipment, including for some camera stuff (actually all of it is for camera stuff so far). If I remember correctly, there will be a GoPro camera available (or something like it), so it sounds like that will handle some or all of the video side of things and apparently can do time lapse as well, which is a great suggestion. Most of the modern Nikon DSLRs have intervalometers built in, so I may have coverage there as well.
As for meet ups and the like, Scott already has somethings in mind and I need to touch base with him before making any plans. I've been out of town all but two days in the last two weeks, so I'm a little behind on talking to him and getting some of the planning done. I'll post more information once I get a chance to work it out.
Like Nathan said, he and I are going to meet tomorrow to go over some general trip stuff as well as get a start on some preliminary vehicle preps. I need to get some electrical stuff done as well as do some design work on the rear platform I have in mind. RyanMB21 and I are working on a slight variation to his really well thought out design for rear tie-downs (see post 33 in this thread) and I have to figure out if my variations will actually work.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
... I am trying to finagle a MacBookAir through my company (I travel a lot and made a business case of out of it), but have not heard anything regarding my request. If I score one of those, we should have the computer side squared away then it's just experimenting with the software to be able to create the videos.

We will uploaded to SmugMug along the way (we both have accounts here and here), and will be posting to a dedicated adventure thread here on ExPo.

Hmmm... are we going to need to an AirCard to be able to upload....?

Well, my company said NO to the laptop for my business travel, so we are currently without the ability to upload and/or process stuff along the way. Looked at a few places that offer temporary rentals...wow not cheap. Worst case scenario, if we have cell coverage we could post up an iPhone camera image from time to time.

Scott, that's good news about the tire repair kit. Chris's old KM2's are so threadbare right now, that he might need it just driving to the tire store :)

CRJeepin

Observer
Sounds like a fun trip, best of luck to you guys!

Just wanted to comment that Apple sells a cheap ($35) SD card reader for the iPad, which allows easy uploads if you can get wifi or have a 3G iPad. It's a little slow on importing and uploading, but works well enough.

Good luck!

cbradley

Adventurer
Sounds like a fun trip, best of luck to you guys!

Just wanted to comment that Apple sells a cheap ($35) SD card reader for the iPad, which allows easy uploads if you can get wifi or have a 3G iPad. It's a little slow on importing and uploading, but works well enough.

Good luck!

Any chance it works on an iPhone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal