Expoordition 2011 Thread

cbradley

Adventurer
Day 5 - Part 1 - Wickenburg to Crown King

DSC0706-XL.jpg

It turns out that those warning labels are actually worth reading. Instead of a calming cup of morning Joe, I created an explosive volcano of house blend. Funny, but messy.
DSC0709-XL.jpg

I've always been fascinated with Fall branches for some inexplicable reason.

DSC0716-XL.jpg

Airing down for the next leg of the journey. The next eighty five miles will be mostly in four wheel drive low, in first gear. Our tires at eighteen psi, certainly made the going more comfortable and the added traction was welcome as well.

DSC0731-X2.jpg

At this point in the journey, the landscape had made a decided change from the characteristic Sonoran fauna to the more verdant higher desert greenery.

DSC0738-XL.jpg

The occassional gate was our only reminder that people had been along this road in the last century or so.

DSC0773-XL.jpg

It seems like a bit of an oxymoron, but the cactus forests we encountered were amazing. We had to take a few minutes to simply enjoy the sight.

cbradley

Adventurer
Day 5 - Part 2 - Wickenburg to Crown King

DSC0781-XL.jpg

The gravesite of the Isaac Bradshaw
DSC0780-X2.jpg

A proper monument to Isaac Bradshaw, overlooking his grave.
DSC0789-XL.jpg

The road ahead, as we embark upon the last leg of the journey to Crown King.
DSC0791-XL.jpg

Another breath taking moment along the way: more cactus forest highlighted by the buttes of the Bradshaw Mountains.
DSC0890-XL.jpg

Lead footing it a bit.
DSC0898-XL.jpg

My favorite shot of the day.
DSC0799-XL.jpg

Stopping for a late lunch under the only shade we could find. Hummus, flatbread, salame and smoked gouda, a strange combination for sure, but it was wonderful.
DSC0899-XL.jpg

Ah yes, a fire road, asking for a little speed.
DSC0902-XL.jpg

Finally made it to Crown King, home of Arizona's oldest saloon and (operating?) brothel. I can't speak to the qualitied of the latter, but the former served an excellent burger and a timely pitcher of cold Blue Moon.

Last edited:

cbradley

Adventurer
Day 6 - Part 1 - Crown King to Prescott

We woke up early Tuesday morning in anticiaption of getting to hang out with the Overland Journal folks later that day. We grabbed a much needed hearty breakfast at the saloon. Though I would like to think that we had the foresight to plan such a thing, we left at an ideal time to catch the morning sunlight filtering through the trees on the way up to Prescott. Though the photographs are but a dim reflection of what we actually saw, they do give an idea of what an amazing morning we had as headed up the Senator Highway.
DSC0911-XL.jpg

DSC0939-X2.jpg

DSC0937-X2.jpg

DSC0966-XL.jpg

DSC1011-XL.jpg

DSC0940-X2.jpg

DSC1033-X2.jpg

DSC1028-XL.jpg

Last edited:

cbradley

Adventurer
Day 6 - Part 2 - Crown King to Prescott

As we left the forested area immediately outside Crown King, we started to smell smoke. Initially we figured it was a particularly pungent camp fire, but as the smell intensified, we began to wonder where the forest fire was. It can be seen in the background of several of the photographs below.
DSC0974-X2.jpg

DSC0994-XL.jpg

DSC0997-XL.jpg

As we continued on, we realized that we would be headed toward the fire and began to wonder if we needed to rethink ourroute to Prescott. Soon we passed a group of firefighters in full gear, obviously discussing the fire. As it turned out, we had caught the forestry service doing a number of controlled burns that morning. Though our lungs may be the worse for it, we took the opportunity to get close to the burns and get a couple shots.
DSC1056-X2.jpg

Our last views as we were about to hit "slab" (which this neophyte, until recently, didn't know was a reference to pavement), were once again clear to the mountains beyond.
DSC0973-XL.jpg

clcoyle

Explorer
Great photos and write-up guys, it looks like you're have a really great trip.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here are a few photos from my gallery from the past few days:

Dripping Springs canyon - Chris plans his accent up the dry waterfall
Expoordition-Day03-35-XL.jpg

Expoordition-Day03-37-XL.jpg

Tons of petroglyphs at Dripping Springs
Expoordition-Day04-07-XL.jpg

Looking back on the canyon
Expoordition-Day04-25-XL.jpg

Dredded Cholla
Expoordition-Day04-33-XL.jpg

Really cool sandstone walled canyon wash
IMG4068-XL.jpg

The fires outside of Prescott
Expoordition-Day06-10-XL.jpg

Working on the rig at OJ's headquarters
Expoordition-Day06-18-XL.jpg

Expoordition-Day06-15-XL.jpg

Too much gear, and too little space!
Expoordition-Day06-16-XL.jpg

Expoordition-Day06-17-XL.jpg

Chris fullfills a dream...partially at least (working at OJ)
Expoordition-Day06-20-XL.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Got a late start out of Prescott, but got a lot done digitally. Hit the road around noon. Finished Smiley Rock trail today. Awesome. Really really really cool. Basically driving down a boulder strewn riverbed. Not dirt, just solid rock. Like really big cobble stones. Full overhead tree canopy with fall colors the whole way. Probably took 600 photos between the two of us.

Last edited:
Awesome guys! It was great to meet you at The Raven last night and I look forward to seeing what the rest of the trip has in store for you two.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Dinner in Jerome. What a quirky place. Pretty cool though. Will try to tske photos tommorow morning. We are really running short on time. Tomorrow we'll take pavement through Sedona (maybe do Broken Arrow?) to Flagstaff to Williams, then due north to GCNP. We have about 8 hours of driving tomorrow, then 14 hours of driving to Holister Hills in CA on Friday. Whew!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Between the two us, we got a LOT of great photos today. The Smiley Rock trail in the autumn color season is just superlative beyond all description. Miles and miles of attentive trail driving in one of the most beautiful little wooded gulleys I've ever experienced. The trashcan sized rocks only added to the joy. Here are a few of my photos. Chris will upload more tomorrow. I think he's too tired to finish his images tonight :) I've seen some of his shots though, and they are really good. Mine are just placeholders until he finishes sorting through his hundreds of images.

Near the beginning of the Smiley Rock trailhead. Elevation 7,000 feet. Just beautiful.
Expoordition-Day07-04-XL.jpg

With all the amazing fall colors bursting around us, we made very frequent photo stops!
Expoordition-Day07-07-XL.jpg

The more famous part of the trail. I would guess there is about 4 or 5 miles of this cobble stone paving. Wonderfully fun. The 4Runner had no problems at all
Expoordition-Day07-08-XL.jpg

Chris looking a bit apprehensive as the line is scouted. No problems though. The 4Runner stayed on the tops of the rocks just like we hoped and planned :)
Expoordition-Day07-09-XL.jpg

Rather than exiting east to Jerome through many more miles of trail....in the dark, we opted to head northwest out of the trail and into the beautiful cattle country of Chino Valley...then we circled back into Prescott and took the 89A over to Jerome. MUCH faster this way :)
Expoordition-Day07-10-XL.jpg

Last edited:

cbradley

Adventurer
Got some great images on Smiley Rock Trail yesterday. Sadly, Lightroom wouldn't play nice with SmugMug last night and this morning. Hopefully I can get them posted later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal