Expoordition 2011 Thread

cbradley

Adventurer
Took a brief side trip through Broken Arrow Trail this morning. Got some cool shots of the 4Runner. On our way to the Grand Canyon now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbradley

Adventurer
Day 08 - Jerome to the Grand Canyon

I am just feet away from the greatest precipice I have ever seen. As I peer over the edge my stomach gets that uncomfortable jolt of fear and adrenaline reserved for instances of immediate and unanticipated danger. I am but a single misplaced footstep from plummeting to my death, but the sights before me draw me closer and closer to the edge in hopes of drawing in ever so slightly more of what I see and experience before me. Some of the small rocks at my feet tumble off the edge, silently falling to their new resting place thousands of feet below. Except for a small finger of land behind me that was my footpath to my current spot, there is nothing but space before me. I am surrounded on three sides by the majesty of the Grand Canyon.
The sun is setting, painting the northern edge of the canyon with the reds and oranges of its light. A tiny luminescent speck begins climbing the sky to the distant north— Jupiter beginning its slow ascension to prominence in the swiftly approaching night sky. Soon the great carving by the finger of God below will set into the shadows of the night to be replaced the thousands of stars above untainted by the moonless night. I can think of but one word to describe the experience of the Grand Canyon today as I stand at the edge of Havasupi Point: sublime. No other word I can think of is fitting, yet even sublime conveys noting of the experience itself. Words are insufficient tools at this point. Attempts at conveying the experience would be akin to trying to cut a steak with a hammer - —nothing but a foolish endeavor.

Last edited:

cbradley

Adventurer
Day 7 - Prescott to Jerome

The trip from Prescott to Jerome was punctuated by the Smiley Rock Trail, a beautiful combination of rocky trail driving and Fall colors. This is a perfect time to run the trail, which was seemingly empty, despite it's sights.
DSC1088-XL.jpg

Nearing Smiley Rock
DSC1116-X2.jpg

The rocks are starting to appear and would grow bigger in the next few miles.
DSC1144-XL.jpg

Enjoying the trail. Not too technical, but just enough to keep your attention.
DSC1170-XL.jpg

The 4Runner modelling shot
DSC1187-XL.jpg

The sidewalls held up!
DSC1132-XL.jpg

Amazing Fall colors
DSC1168-XL.jpg

DSC1198-XL.jpg

One of my favorite places on the trail. Gotta love the symmetry.
DSC1206-X2.jpg

DSC1213-X2.jpg

DSC1222-X2.jpg

DSC1229-XL.jpg

DSC1244-XL.jpg

DSC1268-XL.jpg

The Fall colors were lost on the far side of Smiley Rock, but the landscape had its own magic
DSC1270-XL.jpg

Where did this prairie come from?

Last edited:

cbradley

Adventurer
Day 8 - Jerome to the Grand Canyon

Running low on time, we realizerd that we were going to have to high tail it to the Grand Canyon in order to make it to the Overland Rally in Hollister. Though it would be cutting it close, we decided to make a quick run through Broken Arrow Trail in Sedona. Though we raced through the trail trying meet our self-imposed deadline of getting to Havasupai point, our camping spot that night at the Grand Canyon, before dark, it was well worth the risk.
DSC1320-XL.jpg

Not a bad place to spend the morning.
DSC1331-XL.jpg

4 wheel drives were not the only vehicles on the trail
DSC1352-XL.jpg

The dynamic lines hewn into the rock from centuries of water runoff
DSC1367-XL.jpg

So much further to go that day...
We made it to the outskirts of the Grand Canyon about two hours before dusk, which would provide us just enough time for the thirty or so miles of washout we would need to traverse to get to our camp site.
DSC1390-XL.jpg

So close, yet so far away...
We arrived at Havasupai Point just before dusk and foudn ourselves surrounded by the majesty of the Grand Canyon on three sides.
DSC1451-XL.jpg

DSC1465-XL.jpg

DSC1504-XL.jpg

DSC1508-XL.jpg

No guard rails, no people, no distractions, just canyon
DSC1516-XL.jpg

cbradley

Adventurer
Day 9 - The Grand Canyon to the Hollister Overland Rally

As undeniably sublime as Havasupai Point was at dusk the day before, the sunrise put the previous vistas in distant memory.
DSC1543-XL.jpg

DSC1574-XL.jpg

DSC1581-XL.jpg

DSC1591-XL.jpg

DSC1627-XL.jpg

Though we had a thirteen hour drive ahead of us, we just had to relish in the moment for a little longer, enjoying a peaceful stretch of time.
DSC1655-XL.jpg

Making up time on the road out of Havasupai Point

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Thanks for stopping by today and giving us the awesome presentation of the trip. Looks epic and im stoked you two were able to do it. :drool:

cbradley

Adventurer
It was really good to see you guys at the Rally. Thanks for the compliments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal