F150 Tremor vs diesel Silverado ZR2?

Diesel ZR2 or F150 Tremor

• Total voters

Nikilrho

AT4 is just a less off road, more expensive ZR2. If you do the AT4X package, it makes it the zr2 bison and that reduces your payload and towing due to the steel bumpers (and extra weight.). Unless you want to spend more money for an off road Denali it’s not worth bothering for.

If you want towing capacity, do the ford. If you want off-roading out of the box, do the Chevy.

Or better yet, drive both and decide which one feels best for your daily life. You can always put on bigger tires and throw a lift kit on if you want to off-road. I mean that’s what we’ve done with every Jeep.

montechie

We've been looking at the same comparison (ZR2 vs Tremor), here's some points I've come across that haven't been mentioned much, at least in detail and might help:
  • ZR2's fuel tank is tiny at 24 gallons, although Titan makes a replacement tank that's 43 gallons for the Duramax 1500s. That would be quite the range.
  • The ZR2 does have a slightly longer bed by 3" (70 vs 67), and the width of the truck is wider too, but with the F150 having a higher roofline, if any of that matters to you for garage/trails.
  • Besides a front locker, the ZR2 comes with 4auto at all levels, the F150 you need to upgrade to the "High" package in '24 to get a full-time system and the Torsen, another $11K upgrade. We use our current front locker frequently, but like to play in the snow with our trucks, not too mention get out on icy/snowy highways daily.
  • Unlike the F250 Tremor, the Tremor doesn't give much over an FX4 to validate its price that I could find. Different upper control arms (still stamped I think) and coils for the extra lift, retuned monotubes, and 33s. The Torsen would be nice, but less so now that it's rolled into a luxury package, and I prefer a front locker anyways.
  • The shocks don't compare between the ZR2 and Tremor, the Tremor just has retuned monotubes ...that are black.
I'm a bigger fan of the Ford's payload, especially with Max Tow and not dealing with diesel/DEF, but will probably skip the F150 Tremor for a Lariat FX4 with my pick of better suspension and wheels/tires. It's also easy to find low mileage used Lariat FX4s, which gives me more budget to add my preferred capability.

If someone knows there are other functional differences between the FX4 and Tremor, would love to hear it. FX4 you can get the same drive modes, skids, rear locker, and gear ratio as the F150 Tremor. For what they're up-charging over an XLT, I would expect stronger IFS components and a lower gear ratio to match the larger tires/purpose.

phsycle

Adventurer
Reviving this thread as we are in the exact same decision process....

lasoundguy, OP, curious what you ended up with?

Tex68w, which Ford engine specifically are you referring to?

McCarthy, what about the Tremor wins for you?

To all and the OP, what about the AT4 package on the GMC?

What are your priorities? Rock crawling? Payload? Fuel range/MPG?

I travel with kids. I don’t rock crawl or do anything hardcore with the family. I save that for mountain bikes and UTV’s.
I want cargo capacity first and foremost. The backcountry roads I frequent in Utah can be done in pretty much most 4wd’s.

If I were shopping today, I’d get whatever full size truck you like, just get one with a rear locker. If Ford, I’d just get an XL or XLT and add the locker. Thank goodness Ford still keeps that a la carte option available. I’d get a Crew cab with 6.5’+ bed. Then the only things I’d do is better suspension (not necessarily for the lift but the ride), and tires. Then a high-rise shell. Done. It’ll do 95% of the trails in the West. Comfortably and with all the stuff you and your family need.

skrypj

We've been looking at the same comparison (ZR2 vs Tremor), here's some points I've come across that haven't been mentioned much, at least in detail and might help:
  • ZR2's fuel tank is tiny at 24 gallons, although Titan makes a replacement tank that's 43 gallons for the Duramax 1500s. That would be quite the range.
  • The ZR2 does have a slightly longer bed by 3" (70 vs 67), and the width of the truck is wider too, but with the F150 having a higher roofline, if any of that matters to you for garage/trails.
  • Besides a front locker, the ZR2 comes with 4auto at all levels, the F150 you need to upgrade to the "High" package in '24 to get a full-time system and the Torsen, another $11K upgrade. We use our current front locker frequently, but like to play in the snow with our trucks, not too mention get out on icy/snowy highways daily.
  • Unlike the F250 Tremor, the Tremor doesn't give much over an FX4 to validate its price that I could find. Different upper control arms (still stamped I think) and coils for the extra lift, retuned monotubes, and 33s. The Torsen would be nice, but less so now that it's rolled into a luxury package, and I prefer a front locker anyways.
  • The shocks don't compare between the ZR2 and Tremor, the Tremor just has retuned monotubes ...that are black.
I'm a bigger fan of the Ford's payload, especially with Max Tow and not dealing with diesel/DEF, but will probably skip the F150 Tremor for a Lariat FX4 with my pick of better suspension and wheels/tires. It's also easy to find low mileage used Lariat FX4s, which gives me more budget to add my preferred capability.

If someone knows there are other functional differences between the FX4 and Tremor, would love to hear it. FX4 you can get the same drive modes, skids, rear locker, and gear ratio as the F150 Tremor. For what they're up-charging over an XLT, I would expect stronger IFS components and a lower gear ratio to match the larger tires/purpose.

The tremor high t-case is more than just 4Auto though, its the t-case from the raptor. So it has 4Auto, but also mechanically locks into 4Hi/4Lo instead of just using the clutches to do it in like other 4Auto cases.

That said, its not super hard or super expensive to swap the raptor t-case into any newer F150.

You can only get 3.73's with an FX4 if you go with the 5.0. A 3.5L Ecoboost with have 3.55's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner