Favorite Recovery Strap

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
ntsqd said:
There is at least one knot used on flat webbing that is OK. It's called a "Water Knot" and there is a second name for it that at the moment escapes me.
There are several climbing knots that work on webbing. The ring bend (is that the other name for water knot you are thinking?), the clove hitch, girth hitch, slip knot or even a figure-8. Their effectiveness varies with the width of the webbing, though.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Ring Bend sorta rang a bell so I searched it. Simple Ring Bend or Water Knot:
watera.jpg

How it would be used in joining a parted strap:
waterc.jpg

What it looks like cinched down tight:
waterd.jpg

The Search & Rescue page those pics came from recommends backing up the tails with overhand knots. Though it certainly wouldn't hurt to do so, I can't recall being told to do that in my BMTC days, but then again that was about 1979........

I have used this knot in wide strap and it does get ungainly. Onced a load has been put on a wide strap it usually requires a Marlin Spike to get the knot loose. Climbing width webbing isn't nearly as troublesome.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
ntsqd said:
The Search & Rescue page those pics came from recommends backing up the tails with overhand knots. though it certainly wouldn't hurt to do so, I can't recall being told to do that in my BMTC days, but then again that was about 1979........
Backing up the knot is essential, particularly for climbing. A ring knot can loosen and you don't want the knot slipping. The knot itself is very strong when it's under tension, tying the tails isn't for knot strength but as protection.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Which is why I haven't seriously climbed since about '84

Time for a refresher course.

Some of the local 4x club members insist on a 3" strap for their CJ's. Their experience is that the 2" straps just aren't up to the job. Counter that with knowing that most of the trails they prefer have names with "hammer" in the suffix.
So, YMMV

shawkins

Adventurer
Well, time to revive this thread!

Someone earlier posted this:
straps001%20010.jpg

With all of the snow I have been encountering lately in the offroad travels, I was thinking about picking one up. I also saw it used in the Top Gear arctic expedition video and it looked like it worked quite well for recovering a vehicle in deep snow.

So what do you guys say? Should I get one? Is the one from Expedition Exchange good or should I look for one somewhere else?

Thanks,
Stephen

ckkone

Explorer
Looks like Wil carries the Black Rat Snatch Strap

From the 4wd monthly article:

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Black Rat 8000kg (Best stretch in the 8000kg class ? 23 per cent)
Mean Green 8000kg
Terrain Tamer 11,000kg
Megastrap 8000kg
Super Cheap Auto 8000kg

RECOMMENDED
Megastrap 11,000kg (Best stretch in the 11,000kg class ? 24 per cent)
Mean Green 10,000kg

NOT RECOMMENDED
Terrain Tamer 8000kg
Ox 8000kg
Repco Mortorguard 7500kg
Megastrap 9500kg
ARB 8000kg
ARB 11,000kg

Super Cheap Auto 9000kg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I have a BEARD strap. I didn't even know they made straps until i went shopping. I thought they just made seats and limiting straps. I have yet to use this particular one yet.

recoverystraps.jpg

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
shawkins said:
I am wondering what your guys favorite recovery strap is?

Thanks!

My favorite is the one long enough to get me out! :D

Seriously though I have used some from a farm store for a while and they are really nice for a lot less than the 4x4 shops.

Just another .02

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Sorry for the resurrection, but what is the ideal length? 20ft? 30? Long as possible? I'm looking at the Keeper 2"x30' or 2"x20' on Amazon.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I recommend the 30' length. You can always make it shorter creatively, but it gives you the ability to extend the strap over the obstacle that is snaring your buddy. Also, should something break, that extra 10' might make a difference.

With a 20' strap, I frequently had to double gang two straps together on the trail for a pull. With the 30' strap, it is usually enough to reach and get the job done.

My preference is for 3" x 30" straps. I have the yellow one from Expedition Exchange and it's gotten a LOT of use over the past few years and is still in pretty good shape. I also have one of the newer blue ARB straps, but thus far, its so pretty and clean I have not used it :)

4hilux

Observer
Hi, I have 6 differant ARB 9m 8,000kg snatch straps, some of which have done some seriously hard work at times. Have never had any 'issues', & even ones that have been used well in excess of 50 times, are showing no wear, or stress areas. (The oldest / most used ones are now due to be 'cut up' more for peace of mind than anything else).
Bear in mind, this gear is in constant use on 4WD training courses.........

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Remind me to ask my hummer mate here in oman which one he used last weekend.........:oops:

so we don't buy it......as knowing him it was the cheapest in the shop

8 hrs stuck......and the last 10ft leftover was the one the bit that managed to pull him out.

Two beginners a nice coral sand beach- a Hummer and a Toureg

rocks 50 feet away and jacks in the trucks, eventually rescued by a goat herder in an old LC 60

and no he won't give me the photo's:shakin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob