Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Have you looked at the two versions of MARPAT? There is no love for ACU (derided as "garrison camo", office camo, and couch camo, among others"), not even from former soldiers. OD green is a better alternative to ACU.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Have you looked at the two versions of MARPAT? There is no love for ACU (derided as "garrison camo", office camo, and couch camo, among others"), not even from former soldiers. OD green is a better alternative to ACU.
What I like about MARPAT is that it's a darker color than ACU, and I think something darker would look better than ACU on this trailer. But I haven't found MARPAT in a coated nylon fabric, which I would like to have because coated nylon is waterproof and very durable - I've only found it in cotton/nylon twill, which is really "clothing grade" and not idea for a trailer top.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've moved the covered wagon frame inside so it can be close to my sewing room (background). Laid out around the frame are all the zippers, snaps, webbing and Velcro I plan to use, I'm checking my supplies to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

MaterialReview_zpsahcolwos.jpg

I haven't made a final decision on fabric yet, I've got another sample or two I plan to order before deciding.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Some other patterns worth a look.

Italian digital vegatato, in both desert and woodland is outstanding and the Canadian CADPAT, which MARPAT is a derivative is a good option too. For the cover though, a "large" pattern camo, like the Swedish and Finnish pattern would serve well, the only issue being cheap sourcing (I do know a guy in Finland that sews custom military gear......). When it comes to nylon gear, the USMC has stayed pretty true to Coyote Brown a throwback to pre-WWII web gear coloring, which works everywhere and with both USMC MARPAT patterns, desert and woodland and with tan, woodland, and OD. The army, on the other hand went to foliage colored nylon to match ACU..... Now that they are replacing ACU, they'll have to replace their nylon gear too. Someone at NATICK should be executed over the whole ACU fiasco.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
My two favorite, "dude, go away, you're giving away our position" ACU fail pics and a meme.
An interesting read for you,

http://breakingdefense.com/2012/06/army-drops-universal-camouflage-after-spending-billions/

If my goal were to have the trailer hide in the woods, then I'd agree, ACU may not be the best choice. But what I'm looking for is a camo that's got a small enough pattern so repeats due to butting pieces together to make larger panels don't look odd, and also one that isn't objectionable when two pieces are butted 90-degrees to each other. That plus a coated nylon/nylon blend fabric that'll be waterproof and durable. The only thing I don't really like about ACU on this trailer is that it's a bit light in color; if there were a darker variant it would be perfect. I have found a few other camos that meet my other criteria but aren't a waterproof fabric, and I've found some that are waterproof that don't meet my other criteria. I've got a few other samples I'll probably check out before I decide on ACU, I'll post photos of whatever other samples I get.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here are some simulations of a Woodland camo. It's very directional, and intended to be used horizontally. In this first image, to make a panel long enough for the length of the trailer, I've butted two pieces together:

WoodlandsMockup2_zpsfn9umgnk.jpg

In this example I've flipped it 90 degrees so there's no seam in the middle, but the pattern is vertical:

WoodlandsMockup1_zpswsaqakz6.jpg

In the first one the seam and the repeats in the pattern are pretty obvious; in the second the repeats in the pattern are obvious, but there's no vertical seam although the pattern is vertical instead of horizontal.

I like the darker color better than the color of ACU, but the repeats and seams bother me.

Another one that might be worth considering is this Mexican Army camo, it's darker than ACU, and the pattern is smaller than Woodland so the repeats wouldn't be so obvious. It is a horizontal pattern but probably would look ok in a vertical orientation, which eliminates seams in long panels.

MexicanArmyCamo_zpsz75ckrwm.jpg

Camo is complicated :).

screwball48

Explorer
I am not sure how it would work with the fabrics suitable for this application but some individuals have darkened ACU by using different colors of RIT dye.
731ac47ad5be57f42f631f3ebae07782.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I am not sure how it would work with the fabrics suitable for this application but some individuals have darkened ACU by using different colors of RIT dye.
731ac47ad5be57f42f631f3ebae07782.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The type of fabric I plan to use is Urethane Coated Cordura® DWR (DURABLE WATER REPELLANT), so I'm sure it would repel dyes too. I've ordered a few other samples, including the Mexican camo, which is darker, so we'll see how they look.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've ordered two-yard samples of plain olive drab and Mexican Army digital camo, hopefully they'll arrive in a few days and we can see what they all look like and make a final decision.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm planning the construction and sewing details of the covered wagon canvas to be pretty much the same as a Jeep soft top/boat Bimini top. Instead of being like a loosely-fitted strapped-on original military cover, the canvas will be tightly tailored to the bows and tub lie a Jeep top, so it should have good manners at highway speeds.

A few people have said to me that they think the flat front canvas will be a problem at speed - they're concerned in won't take the wind well at highway speeds.

I'm not too worried about that for two reasons - first, it will be towed behind the Jeep, which is taller and wider than the trailer, so the force of the wind on the front of the trailer won't be a full head-on force - it'll be the turbulence behind the Jeep.

The second reason I'm not concerned is that I have a "Plan b" in case the canvas front isn't well behaved at speed. It's a simple matter to insert a thin plywood panel inside the arch of the front bow. It would be held in place with conduit clamps, and the canvas would fit perfectly over it because it's inside the bow. Also being secured inside the front bow as shown below, the bow is still removable - the plywood comes out with it.

So if for any reason it's not well-behaved at highway speeds, I'll add the plywood to teach it some manners. Here's a concept drawing:

AlternateFrontPlan1_zpsynvti48y.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another sample came today, this one is solid olive drab green.

ODSample1_zpsxbdrwnra.jpg

The inset photo above is a sample of this fabric on the trailer.

I've got one more sample coming in, I'll move the covered wagon frame back outside and put it on the trailer when that sample comes and I'll do photos of all the samples on the trailer then.

pkcub

Banned
On all three fiberglass kits we are doing. This is the dry fit for a soft side . we are using a harbor freight tarp . We could have order fromhttp://www.tarpsplus.com/camtar.html for a better choice . I received the tight corners .I wish I used the 13'' are 15''rounded corners on the front of the trailer for better air flow.

27xnwq8.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
All three fabric samples are now here, so today I mocked up each one of them on the covered wagon frame.

ACU:

ACUMockup4_zpsecj5ikrf.jpg

Mexican Army:

MexicanMockup1_zpsktgfwq1l.jpg

Olive Drab:

ODMockup1_zpsblmhnu4c.jpg

Opinions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg