Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I like your split down the middle lengthwise as I have a kitchen setup that hangs from the lip on one side of the trailer. Would allow the other side to remain covered but still easily accessible (assuming the extra hardware to allow both sides to open at once). Although I would like the option for a rack on top, it's not for a RTT - they're a bit too tedious to get in/out for my old bones, rather just extra storage.

Very creative and love the insight into your design process!

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like your split down the middle lengthwise as I have a kitchen setup that hangs from the lip on one side of the trailer. Would allow the other side to remain covered but still easily accessible (assuming the extra hardware to allow both sides to open at once). Although I would like the option for a rack on top, it's not for a RTT - they're a bit too tedious to get in/out for my old bones, rather just extra storage.

Very creative and love the insight into your design process!
Thanks!

Do you have a photo of your kitchen setup? I'll do a drawing of it as you describe if I have a photo to work from.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If all goes according to plan, on Wednesday the doctor will tell me I don't have to wear the sling anymore, and I'll start molding the first tub kit on Thursday.

I've been working on the prep/setup for molding the parts, if you're interested in the fiberglass molding process I've been covering the details of that in the main build thread in the Trailer Adventuring Forum: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-119.html.

GlassLayersSide_zps9b5a0e8a.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been asked a number of times if the cover I'm designing will fit an original M416 (or M100 or M101cdn). Those tubs are a bit larger in outside dimensions than the fiberglass tub because they have outward-facing lips on the top of the tub. On the fiberglass tub, the lip faces inwards, resulting in a few inches less in overall width and length.

My plan to make the same basic hard cover fit the original military trailers is to add a small lip around the edge of the cover, which will make up the extra length and width, and also go over the edge of the tub a little bit. It would look like this (I've drawn this on the model of the fiberglass tub, but it shows the idea of the added lip:

LippedCover_zps168f9638.jpg

When installed on the fiberglass tub, the cover wouldn't get the lip, the edges would be flush with the side of the tub, like this:

SplitCoverClosed_zps65da6027.jpg

The lip would also work fine with the split covers I've shown over the last few days; it would be split in the same place as the cover halves.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I think the lip is fine - a lot of folks, well maybe 50/50, end up with a lip so that the vertical edges are in the same plane. Sure hope somebody picks up your design and builds these! Nice work.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think the lip is fine - a lot of folks, well maybe 50/50, end up with a lip so that the vertical edges are in the same plane. Sure hope somebody picks up your design and builds these! Nice work.
Thanks for the feedback. The lip design helps keep the cover affordable - doing it this way, the main cover is one mold for all military-style tub variants, and the lip is the only thing specific to the different models. The investment in the main cover mold could be amortized over all of the different versions, meaning the fixed cost of the main mold gets spread over all versions. The lip mold(s) are fairly easy and relatively inexpensive to make up for each different tub.

Assuming, of course, that some company/someone decides to pick these up and bring them to market :).

Now I just have to decide if I make the molds so the cover splits lengthwise or crosswise. If a company is interested maybe I'll let them decide...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got the ok from the doctor to stop wearing the sling and finally start motion exercises and therapy for my shoulder, so this afternoon I prepped the molds. Tomorrow I'll mold the first actual tub kit parts, seems like good therapy to me :).

PVASideMold_zps8636399a.jpg

PVASolidEndMold_zps6107e59a.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
AWESOME!!!!

I really enjoy reading about your work!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!!

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy it.

I'm just looking forward to being done with the fiberglass work :). It's "work", not really fun, but it's a necessary evil to turn my design work (which is fun) into a real prototype to prove the design (which is also the fun part). If all goes according to plan, Thursday and Friday will be the "molding days" and then I'll be able to enjoy the fun of assembling the first trailer from the kit :).

I'd be happy to be a beta tester for you!

Thanks - I don't think I need any beta testers because I'm only making one or maybe two test prototypes, but I'll make sure that if one of the companies that's expressed interest in bringing this to market decides to move forward with it they know of your interest ;).

markrez

Observer
Thanks - I don't think I need any beta testers because I'm only making one or maybe two test prototypes, but I'll make sure that if one of the companies that's expressed interest in bringing this to market decides to move forward with it they know of your interest ;).
What about someone to test putting it together after getting one shipped?
When you are done with the prototype, I can buy it from you so you can test how they ship. I will then put it together and take it for a test camping trip! :smiley_drive:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What about someone to test putting it together after getting one shipped?
When you are done with the prototype, I can buy it from you so you can test how they ship. I will then put it together and take it for a test camping trip! :smiley_drive:
:)... I've designed the kit so that it can ship unassembled via UPS Ground to keep shipping costs/purchase costs as low as possible. I did a draft of the shipping box size even before I finalized the tub design to make sure I could meet the UPS Ground goal. And with the experience that Compact Camping has shipping the Jeep-tub Dinoot trailer kit I designed, I'm pretty confident this kit will ship just fine :).

Anyway... I do think I will sell the first prototype (I've already got too many trailers, and I also plan to sell one of my Jeep-tun trailers this year), but I think I'll sell it as a completed, ready-to-roll trailer, I don't plan to sell just the tub parts. So if anyone wants to buy a ready-to-roll fiberglass military-style trailer, they should stay tuned...

I haven't decided yet, but I may also make a prototype of the M48 4'-long version of this kit as well, and if I do, I'd probably be selling that one too.

markrez

Observer
Anyway... I do think I will sell the first prototype (I've already got too many trailers, and I also plan to sell one of my Jeep-tun trailers this year), but I think I'll sell it as a completed, ready-to-roll trailer, I don't plan to sell just the tub parts. So if anyone wants to buy a ready-to-roll fiberglass military-style trailer, they should stay tuned...
[Jumps up and down with hand raised high] "Pick me, Pick me!" :wings:

grimbo

Explorer
With the intention of hopefully having a retailer taking on the sale of these do you go looking for them or hope they find you? I realise these projects of yours are more just exercises in turning your thoughts etc into a physical thing for the joy of doing it, but was interested in your approach from there.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
With the intention of hopefully having a retailer taking on the sale of these do you go looking for them or hope they find you? I realise these projects of yours are more just exercises in turning your thoughts etc into a physical thing for the joy of doing it, but was interested in your approach from there.

Well first I should say that the only reason I do these projects is for my own enjoyment - I love the process of designing something unique, and I enjoy building my designs to turn them into reality. If all that happens with any of my projects is that I do a design and build something to that design that I'm proud of, that's enough for me. I've never designed or built anything because I wanted to end up with a commercial product.

But, everything I design I also do with commercialization in mind, and that's mostly because I'm a practical guy and I don't see the point of building anything that couldn't be produced.

So to specifically answer your question, mostly companies contact me about marketing my designs. Here are some examples...

1. Safari Cab modular hardtop. I built this because I was unhappy with the design of the factory "upside-down bathtub" hardtops; I thought a top for a Jeep could be so much more, so I imagined something better, designed it, and built it. The Safari Cab is modular, so it's got features like removable hard side panels that can be swapped for soft roll-up side panels, and it's the only fiberglass hardtop that I am aware of that can natively support a roof-top tent. Fairly early in the project, I was contacted by Gr8Tops, and I licensed the design to them. A few weeks ago, they announced their first production run and availability of the tops. I've had the Safari Cab on my Jeep now for almost 3 years, and I can't imagine ever going back to a boring factory hardtop :).

SafariCab3.jpg

After I finished building the first Safari Cab for my Jeep, I went on to design a tailgate reinforcement/larger spare carrier (also for my Jeep), and I suggested to Gr8Tops that they ought to be interested in it. They were, they licensed it, and it's been on the market for almost two years - they named it the Exogate. I also designed and built a secure trunk box for my Jeep, and then suggested it to Gr8Tops, so they picked that one up too.

2. Jeep-tub trailer. I designed and built my Jeep-tub trailer kit because I thought it would be fun to build; I actually didn't need another trailer, but my experience in building a Jeep-tub trailer in metal out of two actual Jeep tubs convinced me that there had to be a better way. So I designed a fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit that bolts together, and during the project I was contacted by Compact Camping, who when on to license it from me. They named it the Dinoot, and it's been on the market for almost a year now in two different lengths, and it's turned out to be a pretty popular kit.

TwoTrailers1-1.jpg

3. CJ Grille Kit for the TJ/LJ. My next big project was a custom fiberglass front clip kit for the TJ/LJ that backdates the styling of the Wrangler to the CJ era; it's a complete bolt-on kit that integrates a factory CJ grille with the Wrangler. I build this because I thought it would be really cool to backdate the styling of my Wrangler, and I thought it would be a very fun and interesting challenge to build a kit that was completely bolt-on, requiring no modifications to the Wrangler other than using a wrench to remove factory sheet metal and install the fiberglass parts.

During my work on that project I was contacted by a company that was interested in marketing it, they even sent me documents describing how they would package and market it as product. In addition, when I went to the SEMA show in Las Vegas last year, I talked to another company that I thought might be interested in it (I approached them at their booth at SEMA). But also, through my other contacts at SEMA, I was able to get industry sales data for fiberglass Jeep body parts (custom and OEM-replacement), and based on that data I decided that the market for my CJ Grille Kit would be fairly small, so I decided it wouldn't be worth my trouble to license it to a company and work with them to help them commercialize it. So I haven't licensed the CJ Grille Kit to anyone. (The photo on the right below shows the test-fitting on my LJ, two days after I fitted and then removed it for painting I had my bicycle accident and since then I haven't recovered enough shoulder strength to paint and reinstall it. Hopefully soon!)

CJGrilleKit1_zpsea080052.jpg

So my current project is this military tub kit, and I don't have a firm commitment at this point from a company that's interested in marketing it. I have suggested to one of the companies that's licensed one of my other designs that they might be interested in adding the military tub kit to their product line, and they are interested, but I've also been contacted by others who are interested. So we'll have to wait and see what ultimately happens with this one. If nothing happens other than I build one or two prototypes and sell them when they're finished (because I've already got too many trailers), then I'll be happy. For me, it's all about the challenge of design and then building, it's not about commercialization.

Sorry for the long-winded answer, but I'm sometimes accused of doing this as a business and I wanted to give some examples showing that this really is only a hobby for me :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk