FlashHole's M416 trailer Build

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments guys!

Don, have you had any weight on your bumper? If so, have any issues?

I have used a bike rack with 2 mountain bikes and that was nothing at all. No flex in bumper or frame, no balance issues but the bikes are light. I have also put a basket rack on the back to haul a deer during the hunting season. That did change the balance and I moved some weight to the front to stop any sway. I would say I have put about 150 lbs with 2 deer in coolers and it did not affect frame.

As you stated this is not a tow point but works great for small weight items.

Flashole

Adventurer
I have used a bike rack with 2 mountain bikes and that was nothing at all. No flex in bumper or frame, no balance issues but the bikes are light. I have also put a basket rack on the back to haul a deer during the hunting season. That did change the balance and I moved some weight to the front to stop any sway. I would say I have put about 150 lbs with 2 deer in coolers and it did not affect frame.

As you stated this is not a tow point but works great for small weight items.

That's what I suspected, but it's good to hear. A full cooler is about as heavy of a load as it will ever see. The balance issues are to be expected, but like you said, you just need to balance your load.

Flashole

Adventurer
And it looks cool!!!!!

I may have to steal the light idea this fall when it is not 250 degrees in the garage!!!!!

I do like the lights in the bumper like that. But you still have the M416 lights don't you? I think the stock lights look cool, but one of mine was broken.

And yes it's damn hot out! I thought I was going to have a heat stroke wiring that thing up today.:campfire:

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Yes I am still running the military lights and I like them but in reality@ night they are not very bright. I may try LED bulbs first.

sneakytj

Observer
Flashole,

On the U bolts for the tongue to frame, would you happen to have all of the dimensions? I see that you state that it is 7/16 rod. Mine are completely missing and I need to get some either made up or find something that will work.
Terry

rispony

Update

The big brown truck dropped off my new lid latches tonight. So, after taking the long memorial day weekend off, it was time to get busy.

Installing the latch on the lid was a pretty straight forward endeavor. But, installing the hinges on the other side pushed the lid over far enough that the latches wouldn't latch all the way. After a quick diagnosis of the problem, I decided that shimming the latch hook out would be the easiest way to solve the problem. Why can't things just be easy for once:violent-smiley-031:

Welded up. I will blend it all in with body filler when I do all the final body work.

I really like the way these latches look. Much better than the De Sta Co style latches that I originally purchased. Plus they lock, so that solves that problem.

Tomorrow, my lift supports should arrive. Once those are mounted, I think I'm ready for dis-assembly, final body work and paint.

Hey man, this build is amazing, I just went through this whole thread and you killed it!

Question about these toggle latches, do you remember where you got them or who makes them? I can't for the life of me find ones that are adjustable AND lockable in the right size. Any info would help!

Maximum Carnage

I just read the whole thing and it's an awesome build.
I'm in the first stage of restoring my M416 just got it 2 wks ago. I know it's an old thread but anymore updates??

Flashole

Adventurer
Hey man, this build is amazing, I just went through this whole thread and you killed it!

Question about these toggle latches, do you remember where you got them or who makes them? I can't for the life of me find ones that are adjustable AND lockable in the right size. Any info would help!

I'm sure you've figured something out by now, but just in case, I ordered them from McMaster-carr. I don't recall what they were called. http://www.mcmaster.com/

Flashole

Adventurer
I just read the whole thing and it's an awesome build.
I'm in the first stage of restoring my M416 just got it 2 wks ago. I know it's an old thread but anymore updates??

WOW, I thought this tread would have long been gone by now. Glad to see it's still out there, and hopefully providing somebody with a little inspiration.

No real updates on the trailer. Got burned out working on it. Between that, having a kid, and then up and moving from TX to TN, my time has been completely absorbed by other things. We are finally settled here in TN and although I haven't done anything more to the trailer, I have had the opportunity to actually use it a couple of times. Half the reason we moved was to get near better places to camp. I still have a few things I want to do to it, so some day, I'll get motivated enough to work on it again.

Since everybody likes pics. Here she is about to get loaded up for a camping trip up in Kentucky last weekend. Met some buddies at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot. Those of you that are into guns will understand.:REOutShootinghunter

mstreete

WOW, I thought this tread would have long been gone by now. Glad to see it's still out there, and hopefully providing somebody with a little inspiration.

No real updates on the trailer. Got burned out working on it. Between that, having a kid, and then up and moving from TX to TN, my time has been completely absorbed by other things. We are finally settled here in TN and although I haven't done anything more to the trailer, I have had the opportunity to actually use it a couple of times. Half the reason we moved was to get near better places to camp. I still have a few things I want to do to it, so some day, I'll get motivated enough to work on it again.

Since everybody likes pics. Here she is about to get loaded up for a camping trip up in Kentucky last weekend. Met some buddies at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot. Those of you that are into guns will understand.:REOutShootinghunter

Flashole
Great job on the trailer, i'm building one using a fiberglass tub from Dinoot. I really like your lid, would you mind if I steal your design? Again great job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater