Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Generally there is no real benefit to consider a DRW or super single until you actually start encroaching on the tires max load rating.

In all honestly, I do not thing Mark's rig will require a DRW, but if he really is intending to haul around another 2,000lbs of junk, then something other than a standard SRW will be needed.

Then again, a 19.5 swap is always an option as well...

If I had the need for more tire capacity, it would be at the top of the list...
You gain a huge bump in load capacity in the wheel and tire, and hauling the spare is easier to manage than a super single spare.

1. 19.5 swap
2. super single
3. DRW

DzlToy

Explorer
Generally there is no real benefit to consider a DRW or super single until you actually start encroaching on the tires max load rating.

not entirely true..... if you have a large slide in camper or Earthcruiser type box on the chassis, a dually rear end does wonders for stability on the road. Think bridges, high winds, windy roads, semi's blowing by at 80 mph, etc. This is also true if you are towing, even if you are well within the weight limits of the truck, tires, etc.

It is a Catch 22, however, as the DRW is of course much wider, and therefore somewhat more difficult to manoeuver in narrow spaces than a SRW truck. They can be troublesome off road, due to space and constraints of DRW. It really depends on your travel plans. I learned years ago, there is no perfect truck, regardless of your budget, plans, etc. You will always give up or sacrifice in one way or another.

With a 2,000 pound camper, there is certainly no reason to add two more tires in the rear and 19.5's are an option for a SRW, f you do not intend to air-down. They have a different bead than a light truck tire and typically a heavier carcass. Therefore they do not do well aired down and can actually be damaged with low pressures.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
not entirely true..... if you have a large slide in camper or Earthcruiser type box on the chassis, a dually rear end does wonders for stability on the road.

Splitting hairs...

Your talking about sway, which is a result of tires and suspension loading/unloading. Most is a result of suspension.

If the tires and suspension are both up to it and in check, then DRW provides very little advantage with regards to stability.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Mark,

Do you plan on getting a SRW 3500 or possibly DRW and converting to super singles? Regular truck bed and removing it or Chassis Cab?

I'm just going to pick up a 3500 box truck for this one, I will be well under stated GVW and tire capacity with this unit. If I go a 60" CA truck there is an extra foot of length (frame) behind the wheels, so the camper could be a foot longer. A 3500 CA truck does present some really good options though, GVW is higher yet and a single wheel conversion is dirt cheap and looks great.

Jeep

Awesome build, I appreciate the pics of the business side of things, I wanted to ask a while back, but didn't want to be rude.
There were several background shots and references to your work, that gave big hints, but I never really put the whole big picture together.
Of course you may have spelled it out in black and white and I just missed it :)
If you don't mind me asking? Is this something you plan to manufacture, or just a one-off for yourself??
Again great work, and the time to keep this thread updated is considerable and also appreciated!!
Keith in CT USA
Sent from my Passport

Thanks, and if you read a little above, Cascadian might have just answered your question! Oh well, it was going to get out soon enough, look for us at ExPo West.

ripperj

Explorer
Thanks, and if you read a little above, Cascadian might have just answered your question! Oh well, it was going to get out soon enough, look for us at ExPo West.

Not so sure, I'm in a Sudafed induced daze, your build was sold to Cascadian? Then what are you buying another truck for? Or did you build two?

Sent from my Passport

Jeep

Not so sure, I'm in a Sudafed induced daze, your build was sold to Cascadian? Then what are you buying another truck for? Or did you build two?

Sent from my Passport

I'm buying another truck for myself, and built one for Cascadian. Pic of a 3500 60" CA truck, SRW conversion, 35's, no lift. Super nice truck with a lot of capacity.

JO1.jpg

Darwin

Explorer
Jeep, what wheels are those? And can they be swapped from front to back and vise versa with the different offsets? I understand the dually rear axle is of a different length requiring two different offset wheels to maintain the same track.

Thanks.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Actually most OEM DRW setups use identical wheels front and back.

Just requires a specific hub adapter on the front axle.

Jeep

The wheels are Buck Stop, pretty stout wheels. On the 3500 dually all you have to do is remove the factory wheel spacers on the front, and replace the front studs with rear studs as they are about 1/2" longer and make it through the lug nut nicely.

E_Ak

Jeep,
fantastic build! If those campers go on sale at any time in the next couple years, I'd be interested.

The wife and I are starting to plan a long trip, most likely the Pan-Am adventure and have been looking at trucks and truck campers currently. The build quality you've put into this thing is impressive. Wish other manufactures we've looked at would take some notes.

Anyways, great build and thanks for sharing!

Erik

Jeep

The benefit of designing everything from the deck to the camper lets you come up with some pretty neat and clean systems, at least I think it's neat. I was going to use a pretty stout Destaco latch, but there was no real security features to it, I wanted something positive, but I also wanted something that would give a bit. So I designed a latch and receiver, the receiver is spring loaded, the latch has a lock location that will accept anything from a pin to a pad lock, the connector link will have a quick pin so it will come off easy, and everything is pinned, no open hooks anywhere. The latch could become undone although highly unlikely, but would still connect both units together. The spring was sized according to weight and in case it needs to be heavier or lighter there are several rates to choose from on either side of the spec. I'm thinking of coating the handles red so I can appease my OCD with a glance in the mirror!
20160318_142955_resized_1.jpg
20160318_142936_resized_1.jpg

Jeep

Jeep,
fantastic build! If those campers go on sale at any time in the next couple years, I'd be interested.

The wife and I are starting to plan a long trip, most likely the Pan-Am adventure and have been looking at trucks and truck campers currently. The build quality you've put into this thing is impressive. Wish other manufactures we've looked at would take some notes.

Anyways, great build and thanks for sharing!

Erik

Thanks Erik. Production has actually started.

Jeep

Got the roof rack on, worked out good. The extra width of the flange on the passenger side over the door is for a Dometic 9500 case awning.

20160322_185250_resized.jpg

20160322_185147_resized.jpg

Got the ladder on, the bottom 3 feet fold down and reach 18" below the bottom of the camper. Everything is nice and light and super strong. Rear storage locker and accessory rack go on the left side and below the rear window tomorrow.

20160322_185058_resized.jpg

20160322_185119_resized.jpg

Rubber catch, positive and quiet.

20160322_185127_resized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal