Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

CTSJOE

Getting ready to build my own motorhome on a KW T 300 chassis. Saw your camper build and have been thinking of using the composite panels. Was wondering how insulated they are. We live in Colorado in the mountains so constant changing altitude is also a concerne. Would you use them if you were building your big camper over again?

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Getting ready to build my own motorhome on a KW T 300 chassis. Saw your camper build and have been thinking of using the composite panels. Was wondering how insulated they are. We live in Colorado in the mountains so constant changing altitude is also a concerne. Would you use them if you were building your big camper over again?

The HC core is supposed to have R 1.5 - R 2 per inch for insulation value, although nobody has an actual value for any panel, just theoretical. I wouldn't worry about the altitude at all. Today, I wouldn't use anything else, maybe XPS core for a little more insulation value. One thing to note, as we build commercial bodies with composites, is the floor is engineered, and there is some structure thrown into some walls for equipment installations that may happen in other shops, not everybody is comfortable bonding stuff to walls. If you can grasp adhesives and the proper application, you will have no issues. My big truck would be quite a bit lighter with a panel style construction, and less weight is always better, T-300 is a nice chassis for this type of build, what kind of power?

Jeep

Got a little more done, gravity water fill #1, idea was sound, didn't quite put the fill hose at a nice enough angle so rebuilt it.
Water fill 1.jpg

Version 2.0

Water fill 2.jpg

Got the awning, was nice just to drill and tap all the mounting holes. Using a Dometic 9500 case awning, no arms, fast deploy and retract, auto rain dump, I like it.

Awning 4.jpg

Awning 3.jpg

Awning 2.jpg

Awning 1.jpg

Got the rear storage locker finished and installed, this will hold all 4 jacks plus other gear, or just a lot of other gear, rails extend from horizontal extrusions for more options, bike rack, stuff like that.

Rear storage 2.jpg

Rear storage 1.jpg

And had to pick up a small crane in a hurry today, 3662 pounds! No problem, rear springs were feeling it but that's soon to be a thing of the past.

Loaded crane.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
Mark, you should install out-riggers and the crane on the bed of the Dodge :D

Palfinger or Hiab or ?

Great work as usual. :beer:

PS: I attempted to set two pallets of ceramic floor tiles onto the bed of my Fuso and the springs did not like it one bit. So, we made two trips. The forklift driver and shop owner guessed they were 3,000 to 3,500 pounds per pallet.

Jeep

Mark, you should install out-riggers and the crane on the bed of the Dodge :D

Palfinger or Hiab or ?

Great work as usual. :beer:

PS: I attempted to set two pallets of ceramic floor tiles onto the bed of my Fuso and the springs did not like it one bit. So, we made two trips. The forklift driver and shop owner guessed they were 3,000 to 3,500 pounds per pallet.

Maybe one day I'll build one big enough to take a knuckle boom to get the spare tires and bikes off of the back! How cool would that be?

We like Palfinger, Hiab is good solid stuff too but never really evolved with modern metals, so we end up a lot lighter in the crane dept with Palfinger. I bet a pallet of tiles comes in at 3K, darn rocks are so deceiving!

Jeep

So what latches did you end up with? As everyone else said, endlessly impressive.

Which latches? If you're referring to the ones to lock it down to the bed, I designed and built a set that keep 500 lb of tension on the mount and have 1.25" of travel per latch. I can change the springs out to go anywhere from 100 lb to 1200 lb tension so there will be a little testing after it's mounted on the truck. I should be mounting the unit next week and have some good pics. I had to modify the under deck boxes to work with the latch as the hinge goes right through the flange of the side sill so I decided to just build a new set of cabinets and change the angle around the wheel to 60 degrees from 45, looks better and gain more space.

I checked out your build, looks great! You live in a beautiful place, we love Montana! We ride Pipestone every once in a while, heading there on my way back from Expo, will be driving right through Bozeman.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
"uber-clean" is the correct term for this build.

Looks fantastic Jeep.

Although, your keep adding weight since your "dry" weight numbers *snickers* :D

Jeep

"uber-clean" is the correct term for this build.

Looks fantastic Jeep.

Although, your keep adding weight since your "dry" weight numbers *snickers* :D

Yup, but it's all for function, all that stuff comes in at just over 100 lbs so not the worst for weight. I will still have lots of room left on a 3500. Some food for thought, by going from .125 aluminum to .102 aluminum for the wet bath and the main cabinet and all the little pieces that go with them, we lose almost 100 lbs and no real difference in structural integrity. That awning isn't light, feels like 60-65 lbs but it's big, strong, and 10' long.

Jeep

Making a couple changes and fixing the only worn parts left in this truck!

Rear springs are rated at 2600 lbs per spring, ALMOST the lightest springs you can get in a Dodge 3/4 ton. 4+1 leaf, going to add 2 leafs to each side to bring them into the 3500 pound range. I like to spring the truck for the intended load, my spring expert will take care of the spring rebuild, along with new bushings. New front shocks to match the rears, and a new set of ball joints.

Camper tie downs will go in as well as new lower cabinets with a 60 degree wheel well angle to close things up a bit and get a little extra storage. 5 new Toyo 35x12.50-17 MT's going on too, at this point the rims will be the weak link but at 3460 pounds per wheel capacity that still leaves me with about 1200 pounds left to go. I'd like stick to an all terrain but the load capacity of the Toyo's is so nice, and for a mud terrain they are decently quiet and ride excellent. I guess that's the price I pay for having such a fat camper!

20160331_194344_resized.jpg

20160331_211743_resized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal