FlyingWil's FZJ80

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Wil - what were your thoughts on the winch pick? I am sure you have a wide variety of products available and am curious about this seemingly 'budget' oriented pic vs some of the much more spendy units. The specs look really good and the price seems amazingly good for the specs. Just seems too good to be true is what I guess I'm getting at...
:sombrero:

N

NorCalBorn

:D I don't know how I missed this whole thread but damn, nice choice in vehicle change, I'm jealous. (Subscribing now. Still only driving a 4Runner, no Sequoia yet since it looks like the neighbor's 80's been sitting I'll consider making an offer eventually.) How's the difference in available space feeling so far. :wings:

As for that little note about stereo knobs, did you ever get some b/c IIRC Gary Kardum might have a couple stereo's sitting around he could stand to share the knobs off of. Give mudrak a call and see?

Also, you didn't mention how the baseline's are on the rig. Check the trans pan and make sure if it has been serviced nobody's tried a cork gasket instead of FIPG. As you know, flush everything. Heck, flush the coolant too at the end of the summer, use the cleaning agent stuff Toyota's been using and throw some red stuff back in and you should be good to go. :D

As for the Rigid Lightbar, impressive, I won the set of floods at the Tracy Toyota Meet and Greet and they simply rock. I even used an old deck light switch to integrate it all in. :coffeedrink:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Wil - what were your thoughts on the winch pick? I am sure you have a wide variety of products available and am curious about this seemingly 'budget' oriented pic vs some of the much more spendy units. The specs look really good and the price seems amazingly good for the specs. Just seems too good to be true is what I guess I'm getting at...
:sombrero:
I went with the VR line because it's new. That simple... I like to be able to give customers real world feed back in helping them learn about options available. A good example is we have probably installed about 7 VR8000 which look identical to the M8000, with small cosmetic changes... According to Warn, the solenoid packs in the M8000 have been changed and now using contractors in place of the solenoids, and the VR is using the solenoids. The VR line seems to be up to par with Warn name, and is backed by their lifetime warranty. :victory:

:D I don't know how I missed this whole thread but damn, nice choice in vehicle change, I'm jealous. (Subscribing now. Still only driving a 4Runner, no Sequoia yet since it looks like the neighbor's 80's been sitting I'll consider making an offer eventually.) How's the difference in available space feeling so far. :wings:

As for that little note about stereo knobs, did you ever get some b/c IIRC Gary Kardum might have a couple stereo's sitting around he could stand to share the knobs off of. Give mudrak a call and see?

Also, you didn't mention how the baseline's are on the rig. Check the trans pan and make sure if it has been serviced nobody's tried a cork gasket instead of FIPG. As you know, flush everything. Heck, flush the coolant too at the end of the summer, use the cleaning agent stuff Toyota's been using and throw some red stuff back in and you should be good to go. :D

As for the Rigid Lightbar, impressive, I won the set of floods at the Tracy Toyota Meet and Greet and they simply rock. I even used an old deck light switch to integrate it all in. :coffeedrink:

I do miss my Tacoma, the seats in the 80 are much better, but I am hating the leather. As the build goes I am slowly starting to like it more and more, but for now it still seems like a Soccer Mom vehicle with and roof rack and snorkel to me, and not yet my truck.

As far as the baseline go on the rig, all have been swapped and cared for.

The Light bar is awesome, still need to figure out how I wiring everything, other than a temporary external wiring to test the bar's aiming/windshield glare, the bar has not been used for more than 2 min.

N

NorCalBorn

The Light bar is awesome, still need to figure out how I wiring everything, other than a temporary external wiring to test the bar's aiming/windshield glare, the bar has not been used for more than 2 min.

I just did mine logically and sort-of easy (read semi-quick-and-dirty). I just cut their harness down to remove all their excess line. Soldered and sealed the junctions. Ran both the ground and hot to the interior inside of the factory headlight harness. Tapped the dash light dimmer/adjuster for the power and switch illumination and wired all 3 wires to the factory deck light switch. Yes, I only can use the flood's if my parking lights are on, but they only draw like 1w, it's a fused circuit already, and the light harness itself has a secondary inline fuse. Besides, honestly if I need to use those in any other situation where I am not using my parking or other light's something is up. Then it's as simple as pull the harness's inline fuse and jumper it off the side closest to the battery and I have hot lighting. (*Emergency only situation, since I'd be bypassing the fused circuit etc.)

But, you likely already knew all that. :ylsmoke:

Shane

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Outback Drawers, 80 Fit Kit, and Cargo Barrier

Well it's finally in, the Outback Solutions Modular Roller Drawer Systems.

I opted for the RD1045US and the RDRF1045US with the 80 Series Fit kit. It only comes in grey, but I really like how it turned out.

Install was fairly simple once I figured out how it was supposed to go, (read after 3 test fits) and following the instructions. It mounts using the rear two tie down points and the forward 3rd row seating latch on the cargo floor.

Here you can see it attaching using the third row seat latch:
tlc%252520002.JPG

It uses several fully sealed bearings that make it a "no rattle" drawer system.
tlc%252520005.JPG

The fit kit fit perfectly, and the side compartments unscrew using a large dial screw to not waste any space.
tlc%252520009.JPG

The slam latches are a higher quality than I was expecting, and seem like they will last a lifetime.
tlc%252520011.JPG

I opted for the the Roller Floor to be on the driver's side so that when the fridge is on top it will not block the rear view as much as if it were on the passenger side:
tlc%252520007.JPG

Again the fit is very good. I was concerned about the fit, and never should have been.
tlc%252520012.JPG

In addition to the the drawers I added a cargo barrier. Again another easy no drill installation. The top brackets are installed behind the OEM rear (3rd row) seat handles:
tlc%252520013.JPG

The bottom brackets are installed to the drawer modules.
tlc%252520016.JPG

(disregard the German Shepard Dog hair... I had a helper)
tlc%252520018.JPG

Here you can see the secondary bracket, the one on the left is a "catch" in case of an impact, the top also has impact zone created into the mount as well.
tlc%252520020.JPG

Here it is all installed:
tlc%252520021.JPG

tlc%252520022.JPG

Last edited:

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
The drawer system and cargo barrier look really nice. I am thinking the same for my wife's 80.

One quick question: Where is the cargo barrier from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach