FlyingWil's FZJ80

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Can you expand on this a little? Sounds interesting!

Pretty straight forward...pull the low range connector off the switch on the back of the t-case. Looking at the rear of the t-case about 1 o'clock at the rear(check your FSM if not sure). Same benefit as 7-pin (low range without automatic lock must use CDL to lock) but you get OD in low range. With 7-pin no OD in low range on 96-97, maybe 95 also I cant remember.

Be warned this method is not MUD approved, the claim is 7-pin changes the mapping of the shift points. With my method the computer never knows it in low range. I have done my own testing more then once on different 80's I have owned over the years and I cant tell any difference. This claim has never been proven and I have never found anything in the FSM. On MUD there is a big cheering section on it. The myth is endorsed by a couple very popular MUD members who I do respect but.....

I love having OD in low range. It reducing your cruising RPM in drive by ~30% therefor increases your cruising speed in low range.

More then the little info you asked for, sorry

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Does this trigger any dash lights?

Are you saying that in normal, hi range driving, the rpms drop in overdrive a la locking up the torque converter?

Thanks for the info!

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
I have done both (4lo sensor was not working) I did notice that the 1st -2nd shift when the sensor is hooked up took place at a higher RPM and it felt firmer. With it unplugged if I was accelerating slowly it would shift to 2nd at about 1800rpm. With the 4lo hooked up it shifted at 2500rpm so it held the lower gear longer.

I really do not have a preference one way or another though I see a benefit in both.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have done both (4lo sensor was not working) I did notice that the 1st -2nd shift when the sensor is hooked up took place at a higher RPM and it felt firmer. With it unplugged if I was accelerating slowly it would shift to 2nd at about 1800rpm. With the 4lo hooked up it shifted at 2500rpm so it held the lower gear longer.

I really do not have a preference one way or another though I see a benefit in both.

I use 2nd gear start when in low range unless crawling or on steep descents/climbs so I would not notice 1-2 hard shift or higher RPMs. Doh! I will stand corrected.

Did you find the same true for 2-3?

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
It seemed to move the shift points up to the 2500rpm ish area in all gears. I really did not pay attention to the 2-3 shift though it was more the 1-2 that was very noticeable. I too use the 2nd gear start in 4lo when not in a technical spot, keeps the neck form getting sore. :sombrero:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Rack is finally on... Updated post # 102

Next will be to remove the OEM cross bars, and then wire in the Rigid LED Light Bar. After that then snorkel ARB bull bar / snorkel install.

FireGuy

Adventurer
How hard was the install of the rack? I'm probably going to order the same rack here in a few weeks (along with all sorts of other goodies hurry up with the build!)

Are you missing your Tacoma yet or do you find you prefer the 80?

flyingwil

How hard was the install of the rack?
Its a total drive way install... super easy you just need to plan out the bolt configuration before tightening anything. On a 1 to 5 scale (with 5 being the hardest) I give it a 1.5.

I'm probably going to order the same rack here in a few weeks (along with all sorts of other goodies hurry up with the build!)
Everything is waiting on something else. At least it is all in motion.

Are you missing your Tacoma yet or do you find you prefer the 80?
I do miss the Taco, however, I prefer the 80.

FireGuy

Adventurer
Its a total drive way install... super easy you just need to plan out the bolt configuration before tightening anything. On a 1 to 5 scale (with 5 being the hardest) I give it a 1.5.

Everything is waiting on something else. At least it is all in motion.

I do miss the Taco, however, I prefer the 80.

Awesome. My AO rack was a bit of a pain getting everything laid out, and you need a couple sets of hands. The Frontrunner is very similar.

Is the 80 your daily driver?

flyingwil

Wil - what are you plans for running power from the truck to the roof rack?

I'm still not sure on this one at this point. I think I will be removing the OEM rack and will probably use the holes from the OEM rack. I need to play with it a bit more.

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
I'm still not sure on this one at this point. I think I will be removing the OEM rack and will probably use the holes from the OEM rack. I need to play with it a bit more.

I haven't found anything I like yet. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk