FlyingWil's FZJ80

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Welcome to LCs Wil. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Cheers,

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Bunch of goodies rolling in / pulled from the shelves in the store up front. More due in on Monday:

ARB Drawers... (still waiting on the fit kit & Cargo Barrier) ARB RD1045US & RDRF1045US

80ser%252520001.JPG
80ser%252520002.JPG

Safari Snorkel SS81HF & ARB 3411050 Bumper
80ser%252520003.JPG

Viking line & splice kit for Warn Winch.
80ser%252520006.JPG

Warn VR12,000 Winch

80ser%252520007.JPG

OBA system (Extremeaire Magnum & other goodies):
80ser%252520008.JPG

Underhood goodies (PHH kit/ FHH/ Oil Pump Cover Torx, IBS Dual Battery Kit, etc)
80ser%252520014.JPG

Cool pictures of boxes huh? I'll do write ups as get they get installed... just waiting on more boxes and more parts.

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
Do you have an idea where you're going to mount that ExtremeAire Magnum? It's a monster physically and it draws a huge amount of current! I thought about the smaller version but couldn't find a spot I liked.

Also, if you're planning on mounting a refrigerator on the ARB roller floor, it doesn't slide all the way out. It might be an issue if you have a larger refrigerator and want to build a shelf over it like Ben from Equipt - which is handy for maximizing storage for a family.

5764596035_e13645890f_b.jpg

Last edited:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I'm guessing, but there are strip prone Phillips head screws on the oil pump cover. Some guys replace with factory new, some guys put Torx or Allen head so you can get to them with a ratchet at a later time if necessary.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing, but there are strip prone Phillips head screws on the oil pump cover. Some guys replace with factory new, some guys put Torx or Allen head so you can get to them with a ratchet at a later time if necessary.

OK with that said why and when would you need to remove oil pump cover?

flyingwil

WOW Lots of cool stuff!

What is a Oil Pump Cover Torx and why is it needed??

Mainly if it is leaking. He may be doing this as a PM.
There is a really good thread on Mud about this.

Correct... It is more of a PM than anything else, no leaks, but unknown service history. From what I have found in my research is that the Phillips head screws get locktite from the factory, thus making it hard to service with out issues with the 7 factory screws (part # 15183-66020). Since the 80 is getting a once over with unknown service/pm history other than the VIN print out, I want to give the 80 a once over before driving it, and $7 now can save some frustration down the road.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
It is going to be an all purpose vehicle, meaning I want it to be prepared for what ever might come around the next bend. As for tires, I think the 315/75R16's are a perfect match for the 80, as mentioned above, 37" tires is the next size larger than the 315's, thus why they are in the running.

Here is my take so far on each of them:
315's:
+ Can keep factory wheels
+ Tires are easily available
+ Sometimes lighter weight than 37's
+ Available in load range E
- Might be a tad small with the lift

37's:
+ most are closer to a 36"
+ Many people wish they went with 37's rather than 315's
+ Almost all load range D
- almost always heavier in weight
- requires a 17" rim (could be a + for larger brakes)

You don't have to go with 17" rims. Trxus MT's come in a 37/12.5/16, or KM2's in a 345/75. You will probably need a 1" spacer, but definitely doable if you prefer the OEM alloy rim.

Congrats on the new ride.

flyingwil

You don't have to go with 17" rims. Trxus MT's come in a 37/12.5/16, or KM2's in a 345/75. You will probably need a 1" spacer, but definitely doable if you prefer the OEM alloy rim.

Congrats on the new ride.

With 17" I think there is more options than the 16"s. I have seen a large increase in 17" tires moving to Mexico from our distributors (yeah maybe spying, but its also planning). I really do not see a tire size larger than 315's to be any different than the 255/85R16's I was running on the Tacoma.

From history I am not a fan of Interco Tires... just never had good luck with them in the past, so the M16's and Trexus tires are out of the loop, IMO.

I still haven't decided on the tire size! Augh! right now I have it all pending on the availability of the ATX Chamber Pro wheels. I should know on Monday or Tuesday.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Toyota Turdra 17" is one of the best choices for 37's due to there 7" width and alloy construction. The narrownest fits the inside of the wheel well much better. You do need a spacer is the only down side but well worth it if you want to wheel 37's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk