FlyingWil's FZJ80

Viggen

Just here...
You carry Ironman stuff, right? Im guessing thats why you went with them? I like it when people go with something other than OME.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
You carry Ironman stuff, right? Im guessing thats why you went with them? I like it when people go with something other than OME.

Yes, we just recently started carrying Ironman 4x4 equipment... I have nothing but good things to say about OME, and still recommend it. Ironman products seem to have an equal reputation overseas, and other than driving the Ironman Disco and FJ after we did some work on it, I thought best way to get first hand information on it is to have it on my own vehicle.

Box Rocket

Back on the 37's topic, I think you can get those to fit (and work) really nicely with that suspension setup. Sounds like you are already planning on swaybar drops and adjustable panhards as well as caster correction for the amount of lift from the Ironman parts. They only thing I can see as a possible addition to your plans would be to add just a little length to your rear lower control arms to push the rear axle back slightly (it will also help with ujoint angles) but when done right will put a 37's dead center in the wheel well with little or no rubbing when stuffed.

I have thought about going to 37's on my own 80 and I'm sure they would fit fine with my own setup. I have OME J springs and 1.5" coil spacer in front, OME trim packer in the rear, OME L shocks along with all the other swaybar/panhard mods listed. The truck has had 315's for 10 years now and I'm certain that 37's would fit. You should be in the same ballpark with the Ironman suspension and if necessary some proper bumpstops will solve any rubbing issues that might occur. I'm hoping you go for the 37's and I'm anxious to hear your thought on it after a little seat/trail time.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Well cool wil. I don't own a tpyota but welcome to the family hauler arena. Hope all goes well and if you need anything just call.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Sweetness! Congrats brotha!

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the lift. I'm due for a new suspension...

theksmith

Explorer
this thread needs way more pictures - go put on a sticker or mount up a switch or something at least and take more pic!!!

;)

FireGuy

Adventurer
Is this 80 going to be geared more to rockcrawling or expedition style wheeling? What are the thoughts on using a 80 on 37's for expedition stuff? Overkill?

Viggen

Just here...
Is this 80 going to be geared more to rockcrawling or expedition style wheeling? What are the thoughts on using a 80 on 37's for expedition stuff? Overkill?
'

I like the idea of bigger rubber. Of course it all depends on where you live but 37s are cool. It seems that for larger rigs, 35s are more the minimum now. 37s on a Taco no but 37s on a bigger Cruiser? Sure. I want 35s on my 60. I need a little more oomph though.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions

It is going to be an all purpose vehicle, meaning I want it to be prepared for what ever might come around the next bend. As for tires, I think the 315/75R16's are a perfect match for the 80, as mentioned above, 37" tires is the next size larger than the 315's, thus why they are in the running.

Here is my take so far on each of them:
315's:
+ Can keep factory wheels
+ Tires are easily available
+ Sometimes lighter weight than 37's
+ Available in load range E
- Might be a tad small with the lift

37's:
+ most are closer to a 36"
+ Many people wish they went with 37's rather than 315's
+ Almost all load range D
- almost always heavier in weight
- requires a 17" rim (could be a + for larger brakes)

Viggen

Just here...
Theres a guy in my local club running Sequoia wheels and 37s on his 80. Looks really good and does really well on the trail. Are you going to lose any room to flex or are the wheel well openings big enough for the entire 37?

FireGuy

Adventurer
It is going to be an all purpose vehicle, meaning I want it to be prepared for what ever might come around the next bend. As for tires, I think the 315/75R16's are a perfect match for the 80, as mentioned above, 37" tires is the next size larger than the 315's, thus why they are in the running.

Here is my take so far on each of them:
315's:
+ Can keep factory wheels
+ Tires are easily available
+ Sometimes lighter weight than 37's
+ Available in load range E
- Might be a tad small with the lift

37's:
+ most are closer to a 36"
+ Many people wish they went with 37's rather than 315's
+ Almost all load range D
- almost always heavier in weight
- requires a 17" rim (could be a + for larger brakes)

All good points. I too have gone back and forth about 37's. For me, 315's are easier to find in the western states should I need a replacement without waiting to order them. That being said, I spend a lot of time in the rocks too, so 37's would be great. I'm just getting ready to order a lift so I'm following your build closely. Have been looking hard at the Slee 4" so I'm interested to see your thoughts on the Ironman lift. Who knows, maybe I'll go that way instead.

gahi

Adventurer
I run slee 4" springs and 315 KM2's, I like it a lot. I havn't regeared yet ( I have them sitting in the shop) and it feels really good. The ride is way better over rough and washboard then stock. I'm sure a lot of that is the larger tire size.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Theres a guy in my local club running Sequoia wheels and 37s on his 80. Looks really good and does really well on the trail. Are you going to lose any room to flex or are the wheel well openings big enough for the entire 37?

Tundra wheel are an excellent choice IMO. Having owned them in the past they do not have the same back spacing as factory wheels,you will need spacers to make 37's work.

Wilbur

Adventurer
Nice find! I'll put my 2 cents in just seeing trends. I know a bunch are jumping to 37s but I think 35s will be perfect. Take BoxRocket for a min, has good setup with few changes and same tire size for 10 years.

Box Rocket

Nice find! I'll put my 2 cents in just seeing trends. I know a bunch are jumping to 37s but I think 35s will be perfect. Take BoxRocket for a min, has good setup with few changes and same tire size for 10 years.

wow! you're right, I've been dinking around with the same setup for waaaay too long. Guess it's time to mix it up. 37's here I come! :victory:

Ok I can't lie. It's been a great setup which is why nothing has changed on the truck for 10 years except for the addition of a rear bumper.:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal