FlyingWil's FZJ80

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
37s really need a 6" lift or a 4" with some body. With 315s/35s I don't think I'd want it above 4.88s, just personal opinion.

315s are 111% the size of the OEM tires and 4.88s are 119% of the 4.10s, so you're still lower than stock ratios. Really, even 37s at 119% over stock.

You still do lots of highway, thinking 5.29s might be overkill unless it was a trailer queen (just personal preference though)...

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Really depends on your planned use. I ran 37's for a few years now on 35's. I can tell you wheeling with 37's makes things easier but I have found 35's will go the same places. Rotating mass 37" Swamper 128# verses 35" BFG 95#. My two biggest problem with 37's, wheel balancing and tunning the tires on the rims. Makes for a horrible ride home when you spin a 37" tire on the rim.

As for gears if you plan to have a heavy set up go 5:29s 35s or 37s. My running weight with 35's is not more then stock and I can pull the hills at speed with stock gears. Weight is your enemy when it comes to performance on an 80 series.

jjstahl3

Explorer
Got a lead on any other good land cruisers - I think it time for my family to move out of our defender to something with 4 doors!

Just what Im looking for!

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Yup 24 volters. ;) Just wait...

As for the tires, I am still in the trying to decide mode... I'm leaning towards the 315's but at the same time want to jump to the 37's... Gears are in the same debate, thinking of 5.29's as I wish I went to 5.29s on the Tacoma and went with 4.88's instead, so I'm in that debate as well. I have until the ARB lockers arrive to decide.

Yeah the tire size will dictate the gears for sure. I found with my 315's and stock gears that its ok, I lost a bit of power but nothing like I was expecting. I plan to go with 4.88's as soon as my wedding is paid for as most of my time is spend in mountain hwy's so gears will be nice. I found the larger tires had more of an effect on my breaking, I have DBA 4000 rotors and 100 series pads and the jump to 315's made a noticeable change in breaking distance. With 37's it will be even more pronounced.

Really looking forward to seeing this truck come together.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Great cruiser! But 37's ? Really? I was pretty shocked when I read that you want to go that route. 315's do seem at home on the 80 series

fjfar80

37s really need a 6" lift or a 4" with some body

I disagree with this, I know several folks who are successfully running 345/75/16's on OME 2.5" lifts without body modifications and without any significant rubbing.

normal_Moab_Trip_Day_1_381.jpg

I think a lot of folks think 37's and automatically think that you have to go super high on your lift, but it's just not the case.

- Mark

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I know several folks who are successfully running 345/75/16's on OME 2.5" lifts without body modifications and without any significant rubbing.

I run OME850J + packers up front, and OME868s + packers in the rear, and I can easily rub 315s on full articulation or high speed up & downs, especially up front.

YMMV

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
What year would I look for? Same as the Cruiser? Right now I have an open hole in my fender...

Pre 05... i have a new OEM one in stock here I can ship out if interested give me a call.

Great cruiser! But 37's ? Really? I was pretty shocked when I read that you want to go that route. 315's do seem at home on the 80 series

315's do seem to fit just right, and look like they should have came out of the factory that way. Like I said it is a debate at this point.

I disagree with this, I know several folks who are successfully running 345/75/16's on OME 2.5" lifts without body modifications and without any significant rubbing.

I think a lot of folks think 37's and automatically think that you have to go super high on your lift, but it's just not the case.

I think that many people shun the 37's right off the bat, the bottom line is that I need the 80 to be functional, and reliable... thus why I keep leaning back to the 315/75's.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I run OME850J + packers up front, and OME868s + packers in the rear, and I can easily rub 315s on full articulation or high speed up & downs, especially up front.

YMMV

My lift is on its way in to me, after much conversation with Australia. :wings: Again the 315's might be the ticket.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Yeah I have 315's with 850 (heavy) fronts and 860 (med) rears and can rub 315's on high speed bumps and flexed. Its not bad but 37's will rub like crazy at 2.5" lift.

There was a guy that did it but he had to put I believe 4" bump stop spacers and at that point there is almost no need for springs or shocks.

315's fit easy with a 2.5" lift and with the right bump stop work do not rub (2" in the rear). When you make that jump to 37's and 3"+ lift to make it work the cost benefit starts to go out of whack. Start to get into DC front shafts, caster plates or custom arms, sway bar drops, panhard bars and the list goes on and ads up very quickly for the minimal off road difference the 37's will give. With 37's you are also right at the edge of stock birfs and also start stressing steering components quite a bit. if you upgrade birfs then you are into 2wd kits that further complicate and add to the cost not to mention the poor drivability you are getting to at that point.

I went through all of this before I got tires too and settled on the 315's for the reasons above plus availability of tires if I have a problem on the road.

fjfar80

I run OME Heavies (front) and Extra Heavies (rear) am heavy as hell and am running 315/75/16's and I think it is the perfect balance...I have yet to have any rubbing issues...even when running hard 4's at SuperLift. I think 315's with a 2.5" lift and 4.88's is the sweet spot for 80's if you want to maintain that comfortable ride while still being able to beat most trails into submission.

- Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal