FlyingWil's FZJ80

Box Rocket

Unfortunately not, the plan is to ARB lock it along with gears. Starting the shake down phase now...

Nice find. I heard you sold the Tacoma so I've been anticipating some news of a new rig. I'm partial to white 80 series so of course I think you have a great start.

As to lockers. I bought my 80 back in 2001 and it didn't have lockers. I wheeled it like crazy with open diffs and I was amazed at the places it went in spite of not having lockers. Many times I was making lines that guys with locked trucks were not. I didn't add a locker until just a few years ago when I put an Aussie locker in the rear diff. It's nice to have and I've been pleasantly suprised at how transparent it has been given that the truck is my wife's daily driver and gets lots of road miles. I don't expect you to choose an Aussie over ARB's (the only reason I did was cost) but I mostly just wanted to give my opinion that the lockers could easily be lower on the list of priorities judging from my own experience.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Right on... got some things on order, now awaiting delivery.

:box:

My goal is to have the 80 mostly built by October.

flyingwil

LOL as I hit submit, we got our delivery in from Toyota:

80TLC%252520006.JPG

80TLC%252520001.JPG

C-Fish

Adventurer
:smiley_drive: Saw you on the 60 on Tuesday...You were about to merge onto the 101, I was in the #1 lane heading to the West side...

Good looking rig...

Last edited:

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
24v lights

24V lights?

Welcome to the bigger side of things. I switched from my SAS 4runner to the 80 last fall and am so happy I made the switch.

Looking forward to what you have in store for it.

I would recommend the 315's personally, I did that with mine and am so happy with the results. If you are adding weight though I would re gear to 4.88 at the same time you install the lockers. I plan to do mine once I get the ARB on the front and a few others things.

flyingwil

24V lights?

Welcome to the bigger side of things. I switched from my SAS 4runner to the 80 last fall and am so happy I made the switch.

Looking forward to what you have in store for it.

I would recommend the 315's personally, I did that with mine and am so happy with the results. If you are adding weight though I would re gear to 4.88 at the same time you install the lockers. I plan to do mine once I get the ARB on the front and a few others things.

Yup 24 volters. ;) Just wait...

As for the tires, I am still in the trying to decide mode... I'm leaning towards the 315's but at the same time want to jump to the 37's... Gears are in the same debate, thinking of 5.29's as I wish I went to 5.29s on the Tacoma and went with 4.88's instead, so I'm in that debate as well. I have until the ARB lockers arrive to decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal