FlyingWil's FZJ80

FireGuy

Adventurer
My lift is on its way in to me, after much conversation with Australia. :wings: Again the 315's might be the ticket.

What lift are you going with? I have a white 80 just like yours and I'm just starting to gather parts for the build. Already have 4.88's and a ARB in the garage. Biggest hurdle for me is deciding what lift for Toyo 315 MT's. Has to do well on expedition trips when I have the RTT mounted, as well as on days when there is no tent, I'm running light, and out rockcrawling.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
37's 2" rear bump stop full compression no contact
Note: upper and lower rear control arms were modified

Attachments

• MVC-796F.JPG
    MVC-796F.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 78
  • PC110121.JPG
    PC110121.JPG
    893.6 KB · Views: 64

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
37's 2" rear bump stop full compression no contact
Note: upper and lower rear control arms were modified

To be fair those tires look pretty worn out and interco is known for listing a tire as one thing and having it measure something totally different. The only interco's I have seen measure about the same as what the tire says are the Truxus MT's.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
To be fair those tires look pretty worn out and interco is known for listing a tire as one thing and having it measure something totally different. The only interco's I have seen measure about the same as what the tire says are the Truxus MT's.

The 1st stuff in my previous post is a BFG

1st 37x12.5x17 BFG

2nd 37x12.5x17 Cooper front stuff

3rd 37x12.5x17 cooper rear stuff

If you need more PM me

Sorry Will for the hi-Jack

Attachments

• 80 flex.jpg
    80 flex.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Pyeatt draw '09 006.jpg
    Pyeatt draw '09 006.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Gap 12-30-07 060.jpg
    Gap 12-30-07 060.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 78

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
The 1st stuff in my previous post is a BFG

1st 37x12.5x17 BFG

2nd 37x12.5x17 Cooper front stuff

3rd 37x12.5x17 cooper rear stuff

If you need more PM me

Cool not sure how you did it I test fit 37's on mine and there is no way they were fitting with 850/860. Not with out a lot of fender and bump stop work.

Do not think we are hi-jacking the thread, he is deciding on tire sizes.....:confused:

What a wrote earlier is what I went through to pick tires that best suited me and my needs. If I was not using my truck for hours on end on hwy and rock crawled I may have done the 37's.

In the end its his decision I just though writing out my reasoning for the 315's maybe helpful if not I will remove it.

pic # has a 3- 4" bump spacer in it as well :snorkel:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Not to be a tease, but it will need to wait a bit until I get it in. :box:

popcorn2.gif

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Cool not sure how you did it I test fit 37's on mine and there is no way they were fitting with 850/860. Not with out a lot of fender and bump stop work.

Do not think we are hi-jacking the thread, he is deciding on tire sizes.....:confused:

What a wrote earlier is what I went through to pick tires that best suited me and my needs. If I was not using my truck for hours on end on hwy and rock crawled I may have done the 37's.

In the end its his decision I just though writing out my reasoning for the 315's maybe helpful if not I will remove it.

pic # has a 3- 4" bump spacer in it as well :snorkel:

Correct you cant just put springs on and bolt 37's and expect them to work. My 80 and my friend LX have many mods to make them work that are not available over the counter.

FWIW - Any 80 with 35's needs min 2" rear bumps if you want to avoid contact if you plan on wheeling it.

fjfar80

FWIW - Any 80 with 35's needs min 2" rear bumps if you want to avoid contact if you plan on wheeling it.

I run 315/75/16's (35") and do not run 2" bump stops on the rear. I have no rubbing issues and anyone that knows me will tell you that I wheel my truck.

- Mark

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
No hi-jack at all.
:iagree:

Funny part is that 37s are the next step up from the 315's and instantly shunned. The lift coming in is more than the typical 2.5" thus why the 37s might be a good fit. The kit will include everything needed to basically to run 37's at a higher weight like I am planning. Again, remember that 37s are just one size bigger than the 315's.

As far as gearing goes; the 80 will be heavy and 4.88 to 5.29 I think will do the trick based on the calculators here: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html.

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
The lift coming in is more than the typical 2.5" thus why the 37s might be a good fit. The kit will include everything needed to basically to run 37's at a higher weight like I am planning.

Wil - please tell us about this kit. Is it something new? OME J Springs? Details, please!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Wil - please tell us about this kit. Is it something new? OME J Springs? Details, please!

Don't get me wrong... I have driven in multiple OME lifted 80's and we seem to install an OME lift a week at our shop. The OME is a great lift, and great solution. I am trying to go outside of the normal box a bit with this build. I am going with Ironman 4x4 Competition Lift.

I found that with my Tacoma that I was always wanting to go a bit larger, or take the more challenging route. I built it with 255/85's on it and always had the thought that if I were to need a tire outside of the US it would be challenging, heck, even getting 255/85s in the US was challenging at times. So, the whole tire availability thinking is tossed out the window.

Last edited:

rain76king

Adventurer
Wil, Glad to see you finaly snagged one.
I see alot of people here have the typical 80 series build mindset. I'm glad your going outside the box. I have been in touch with Eli about a larger lift myself, or at least a better valved lift to help handling the amount of weight I travel with.

Build Suggestions- (yep....everyones got em)

*Metal Tech sliders - Spendy yes but bombproof, their powdercoating is some of the best I have seen (I live in New England and need to worry about rust).
*Iron Pig Off Road(IPOR) - I run their 80 series Skidplate, the thing is tough! A little heavy but well worth it for the 80's delicate underside. I also run the Iron Pig rear swingout bumper but i see you have that covered. IPOR'S bumper takes a beating! Ask the guys who wheeled with me at the Coal Mine Cruiser Classic at Rausch Creek last weekend.
*ACC Toyota - Will has been amazing when it comes to getting me OEM parts cheap and fast. He's not just a parts guy working at a counter, he knows these 80's inside and out and is always willing to give advice.

I'm sure your company can cover the rest. FWIW the dual battery system (IBS) I bought from you and my Blue Sea aux fuse box have been my favorite mods to date.
Hope to check it out when I head out your way to the ExPo next year, good luck with your build!

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal