For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Anytime I go out to explore or what not I bring my rifle now. Probably doesn't serve much for protection considering it's packed away and in takedown form, but I guess it's just there as a safety blanket. Once I turn 21 I plan to get a CHL and purchase a pistol or revolver since they serve as better "protection".

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Well, for those who happen to have a Springfield XDS 3.3". They are being recalled for a repair to the grip safety. Super easy process. Took about ten days total. They sent back a high cap magazine as a "Sorry about that" gift. Nice.
Oh and ya I have lots of guns. I always carry. (Never open!!). Besides the fire service career, I was in the Army and also a State Policeman. I know how to use a firearm better than the average criminals do. There are violent awful people in this world. I have seen them in person working the streets. I've seen what these people have the capacity to do to the unprepared. Having said that, I have NEVER needed to use one yet while camping. I for sure don't wear it strapped around camp! It's always just in my rig. No reason to strap that thing. (While camping). But my .45 did potentially save my life late one night in Albuquerque in a Walgreens parking lot while sitting in my truck. Guy tried robbing me at gun point. I pointed my .45 at his forehead and asked if he wanted his head to become a f'ng canoe. He backed down. Anyhow. To each his own. Cheers.

PS.. Last year there was a little boy killed that went to the school my daughter goes too. He had been on a camping trip with family. Somebody left a loaded gun unattended on the picnic table. Tore up the community. Makes me sad that adults can be so careless. You HAVE TO be careful with weapons, period. There are no excuses. Zero.

Last edited:

M35A2

Tinkerer
These threads are always interesting.

I think to myself, 'does anyone NEED a gun'? No, of course no one needs a gun.

Just as no one NEEDS religion, and no one NEEDS free speech, or any other freedom identified in the Constitution.

You see, none of them are NEEDS, they are RIGHTS:

- It is your right to have or not have religion.

- It is your right to exercise or not exercise free speech.

- It is your right to keep and bear arms if you wish to do so.

I saw this somewhere: what if state laws were passed that said you needed a permit to be Presbyterian, it was unlawful to conceal the fact that you were Jewish, and Muslims were banned because Islam is an assault religion. That would not fly, right? But the First Amendment (includes freedom of religion) is just as equal an amendment as the Second (the right to keep and bear arms). So why do states limit the Second Amendment? (If it is that bad, repeal it at the Federal level - there is a process for that.)

My thoughts are that folks should take advantage of their rights as they see fit.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Two incidents brought me to that conclusion. The first was in Alaska at a popular campground. A bear wondered through camp and one particular camper, unknown to any of us, took it upon himself to take a couple of shots at it with one round going into another camper's pickup through the trees.

The second was with a group of overlanders I didn't particularly know well. Sitting around the fire in the dark, we heard a noise in the woods. I looked up to see a dude with a pistol in his hand. The noise was his dog walking through the bushes.

I have since had a few overlanders tell me they were bringing a firearm along and had the courtesy to ask if I minded if they did so. That alone made me feel better. Just having a gun in any setting doesn't inherently make that setting safer.

Doesn't inherently make it more dangerous, either. You keep placing your fears ahead of other people's Rights and privileges and choices, in your comments. You can couch it anyway you want, pretend to be having a civil "middle of the road" discussion, but the subtext of what you are posting is that other peoples' freedoms should be limited by your fears.

And besides all that, you're basically repeating your posts of a similar topic what a year ago? Has nothing happened to alter your understanding or opinion in that time?

So that makes me wonder, have you never been concerned about a place or situation and wished you had some form of increased security or ability to defend yourself? Or does it only concern you that some other citizen has a firearm?

Being an 'Overlander', presumably you have all manner of tools along with you in the "wilderness". Why is a firearm (seemingly) somehow a source of agitation for you? You do realize someone can just as readily harm you with a shovel, pick, hammer or wrench or jack handle? What makes the 'gun' the 'tool too far' for you?

B

BPD53

These threads are always fun to read. I am going to throw my two cents in.

I carry a firearm every moment I am awake, but I see why some people don't.

All I know is that I would gladly give my life to save another.

A firearm may simply let me keep my life in the process.

That's my two cents.
God Bless EVERYONE

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Doesn't inherently make it more dangerous, either. You keep placing your fears ahead of other people's Rights and privileges and choices, in your comments.
False. You're attempting to make an argument where one does not exist. At no point would I ever impede someone's right to have a gun or even make them feel uncomfortable with their decision to have one in my presence. But my comment stands. If someone in my proximity has a firearm and I do not know how much training they have had, or trust in their overall judgment, I'm not going to do anything other than remove myself from that situation, or just be extra aware of the situation, as that does not infringe on anyone's sensibilities.

And again, if I was in your camp with a gun, YOU should be concerned. I haven't had a day's training. Same reason you wouldn't want me to be your pilot, brain surgeon...

To your other points, this thread started as a "do you carry" query and I only represent the "why I do not" group. Nothing in what I have ever said, ever, smacks of why anyone else shouldn't carry. If you want to, by all means do it. I will also be the first to champion your right to do so with a vote, opinion, or other support. And no, in the last year, or the dozens before it, I have not encountered a situation whereby I felt I needed and extra level of protection. But again, I do understand that is not the case for many other people.

Doesn't mean I will likely ever carry myself.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I know an individual with scads of combat training, always has lots of guns, ammo, and tactical gear with him, but always stowed within normal packs and bags, nothing that smacks of "tactical." He said he'd rather people think his pack is full of stinky socks and granola bars than guns, cameras, and other expensive things worth fighting over.

Concur....

M35A2

Tinkerer
I guess my question 'for those who carry' is how do you deal with the many different, conflicting, and mutually exclusive laws both within and across various countries?

I mean, you might have a firearm stashed away that no one ever is aware of in terms of law enforcement or immigration/customs, but if you use it all hell is likely to break loose on you.

How do folks who carry deal with this risk when out in the field?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Play dumb. I've been to 2 NFL games this year, both time I had to go thru a metal detector. Once you fail, which I did both times, they send you to a secondary person to wand you down and find the metal. Both times I just walked right past them looking straight ahead and they never had it in them to come after me.

jschmidt

Adventurer
Unfortunately every group is judged by its loudest blowhards. That means gun carriers are judged by a very specific kind of person who makes sure you know he carries as an implicit threat. He'll not only make sure you know he is carrying, he'll make sure to boast that he's ready to kill. No person who doesn't live in constant fear behaves this way.

I'm completely convinced that if we prevented wife beaters and bar brawlers from owning firearms, 99% of the fear-based boasting by carriers and bigmouth-based dustrust by non-carriers whould dissappear. Having a gun, or not, would no longer be an issue.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
And again, if I was in your camp with a gun, YOU should be concerned. I haven't had a day's training. Same reason you wouldn't want me to be your pilot, brain surgeon...

Please don't equate a brain surgeon doing surgery or a pilot flying an airliner with carrying a gun. Brain surgeons' work is DOING brain surgery. Pilots' jobs are flying planes. People who carry guns rarely use them (including law enforcement).

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I'm completely convinced that if we prevented wife beaters and bar brawlers from owning firearms, 99% of the fear-based boasting by carriers and bigmouth-based dustrust by non-carriers whould dissappear. Having a gun, or not, would no longer be an issue.

IF IF IF.

IF drunks didn't drive, IF drunks didn't fly, IF mentally ill people were in institutions, IF criminals were behind bars, IF unemployed had jobs.

Dream on my off roading compatriot. IF we all had heavily modified unbreakable rigs we'd be happier.

IF IF IF.

"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven