For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschmidt

Adventurer
IF IF IF.

IF drunks didn't drive, IF drunks didn't fly, IF mentally ill people were in institutions, IF criminals were behind bars, IF unemployed had jobs.

Dream on my off roading compatriot. IF we all had heavily modified unbreakable rigs we'd be happier.

IF IF IF.

"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas".

Seems like a completely solvable problem to me. Anyway, my point is that people are forever changed by one encounter with an armed stranger who is a big mouth or bully. And that's a factor to consider in whether or not to carry—unless trail socialization doesn't matter to you.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Seems like a completely solvable problem to me. Anyway, my point is that people are forever changed by one encounter with an armed stranger who is a big mouth or bully. And that's a factor to consider in whether or not to carry—unless trail socialization doesn't matter to you.

If you encountered an armed big mouth or bully would that not make you want to be armed? Not to have a shootout but for comfort in a last ditch effort.

kpredator

Adventurer
to carry or not to carry

good thread and well handled.

in our travels, the only times we have felt unsafe were when camped next to others .maybe 50-100 yards away .the other campers got into the booze and started blasting away.
both times in the dark.we carry a air horn and i gave it a blast.shooting stopped.next morning visited the camps and had a discussion,polite *** chewing.
both times the shooters claimed they weren't aware we were camped next to them.they were apologetic and embarrassed. i guess the fire and wood smoke was invisible .
anyway now when we set up camp.i visit anybody close and if we get bad vibes we move.

we are not anti gun at all.just wish people used common sense .

jm2c
kp

MOguy

Explorer
I pocket carry a little Taurus 9mm about everywhere. I also have a IBW I can use for my 1911. BUT my 1911 is a higher dollar gun and I don't want to subject to the environment I many find myself in esp. while doing this type of activity.

There are bad people everywhere, fortunately their numbers are small.

We are in more danger from bad drivers than people mishandling their guns or even being a victim of a crime. But we still drive.

I live rural and I am a vet. Most people I know carry, hunt and have experience with a firearm.

Even though the chances of needing one for defense is slim, there is a chance. As individual we are a greater risk to have a need to protect ourselves than other business, such as banks, liquor stores, gas stations..., that do go to great lengths to protect themselves.

"Robbery Locations

Most people think of robberies as those committed against banks (2.1%) or at late-night retail establishments like gas stations, or convenience stores (8.3%) where a gun is used to force the cashier to hand over the money. However, most robberies occur on the street (44.5%), directly against a person, and are called a strong-arm robbery. When someone uses force or fear against you to steal your car, it's called carjacking. When someone robs you in your home (14.3%) it's called home invasion robbery. A shoplifter can also commit the crime of robbery if they fight with store personnel who try to stop them."

http://www.crimedoctor.com/robbery1.htm

I realize this source is using fear to try to sell us something but there isn't anything wrong with protecting your family and yourself.

zimm

Expedition Leader
The only other thing I would add. When I travel in group settings and I know someone in the mix has a firearm, but I don't know what level of training or proficiency they have, that makes me as nervous as anything. Even if that person has training but I'm not 100% sure about their judgment, that too gives me pause. Just food for thought.

no training can give you the judgement required to exactly right in shooting situation. thats why we take it off the soldiers plate with the rules of engagement.

the rules of engagement in civil society are two fold. your action must past legal muster as self defense, and THEN it has to pass muster of the family seeking civil damages. one does not lead to clearance of the other, as the rules for admissibility of evidence arent the same.

have fun being broke.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
have fun being broke.

That's the crappy part. If you pull the trigger it better darn sure be your only option. We have a situation here in Oklahoma where a babies momma, long lost kids, and elderly parents are in court fighting over control of an estate of a broke drug addicted loser because he was shot by a cop. Its funny when the gravy train rolls in everybody is fighting for a seat at the table.

rruff

Explorer
But my .45 did potentially save my life late one night in Albuquerque in a Walgreens parking lot while sitting in my truck. Guy tried robbing me at gun point. I pointed my .45 at his forehead and asked if he wanted his head to become a f'ng canoe. He backed down. Anyhow. To each his own. Cheers.

It sounds more like the .45 kept you from getting robbed, but increased your odds of being killed. I'm curious how you managed to get your gun on his forehead when he was robbing you at gun point. Did you have it out and trained on him as he approached? I quit carrying because I didn't want to "greet" everyone at gun point.

At any rate we'd all probably be better off if you'd pulled the trigger.

zimm

Expedition Leader
open carry equals wimp

since the 3 jerks at the fire house sub shop enjoyed the stares they got with their 1911's (i think that the preferred open carry as it looks meanest cocked) i decided to ask them why, and kept building up the conversation so i could ask them what they were afraid of in the sub shop.

yea, the ususal "my right" "be prepared" "sheep/Sheeple" moronic **** came out, but i swear to god the skinny dude was about to cry the more i asked what he was afraid of. lol. i bet the looser woulda shot me in an alley. he had the look.

Last edited by a moderator:

MOguy

Explorer
open carry equals wimps.

since the 3 ******************** at the fire house sub shop enjoyed the stares they got with their 1911's (i think that the preferred open carry as it looks meanest cocked) i decided to ask them why, and kept building up the conversation so i could ask them what they were afraid of in the sub shop.

yea, the ususal "my right" "be prepared" "sheep/Sheeple" moronic came out, but i swear to god the skinny dude was about to cry the more i asked what he was afraid of. lol. i bet the looser woulda shot me in an alley. he had the look.
You carry a 1911 cocked if loaded.

zimm

Expedition Leader
511 pants have a place to put your reading glasses where you wont lose them or crush them. great shop pants, but its like wearing tent material. they never feel like a broken pair of jeans.

i think blue is the biggest wannabe color they come in. they dont go with anything but your EMS shirt.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Why are they?

You carry a 1911 cocked if loaded.

because you NEEEEEED people to know youre armed. if you work in gun shop or load ATMs, sure. otherwise theres no mature, emotionally sound reason to go to lunch cocked and locked hanging out of your shirt.

they are grown men desperate for the attention.... desperate.... childishly desperate to show off their toys. i'd bet for one reason or another, they were traumatized and made to feel small and meek in society, and this fills the void.

Last edited by a moderator:

MOguy

Explorer
because you NEEEEEED people to know youre armed. if you work in gun shop or load ATMs, sure. otherwise theres no mature, emotionally sound reason to go to lunch cocked and locked hanging out of your shirt.

they are grown men desperate for the attention.... desperate.... childishly desperate to show off their toys. i'd bet for one reason or another, they were traumatized and made to feel small and meek in society, and this fills the void.

Maybe, but that doesn't make them as ********** or a ************.

above in post #104 you said "i decided to ask them why, and kept building up the conversation..." That isn't exactly a way a grown mature adult would engage in conversation with others. What does that say about you?

zimm

Expedition Leader
That's the crappy part. If you pull the trigger it better darn sure be your only option. We have a situation here in Oklahoma where a babies momma, long lost kids, and elderly parents are in court fighting over control of an estate of a broke drug addicted loser because he was shot by a cop. Its funny when the gravy train rolls in everybody is fighting for a seat at the table.

this is an open paragraph, as i have no idea if this fella needed a good shootin'. "drug addicted loser" isnt a capital offense. if hes MERELY a drug addled loser, and the cops (or otheres) lives werent in immediate clear and present danger, his civil rights WERE violated.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
this is an open paragraph, as i have no idea if this fella needed a good shootin'. "drug addicted loser" isnt a capital offense. if hes MERELY a drug addled loser, and the cops (or otheres) lives werent in immediate clear and present danger, his civil rights WERE violated.

The merits of his death will be no doubt argued in court. I was just commenting on the civil court matter you made. When someone gets shot, right or wrong, someone else is looking to get paid.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I agree that open carry is a bit ridiculous. It shifts the intent of carrying from personal protection to show of force and implied authority. It can also easily get one confused for LE, which is disingenuous in a whole different sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven