For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I am curious as well. As a former LEO who comes from a family of LEO's, none of us can figure out why anyone would open carry, much less wear 5.11 pants, tactical vests (and the list could go on and on). In much of the LEO community, open carry and tactical clothing is called "shoot me first gear".

LoL. Good thread.

I wear 5.11 pants for plentiful pockets and the "comfort waist". Really more the latter... don't shoot me for that!

I do generally carry a pistol in a locked compartment of my truck when traveling with my family and/or in a group. I have a concealed carry license and spend a lot of time studying the law of possession in each of the states I plan to visit. Most of the time it sits locked and unloaded in that compartment, as much of the region I live is very restrictive to carry of a loaded pistol in a vehicle. My state is fine with a carry permit, but the neighboring ones aren't.

Sometime I have it loaded and in my center console. Just depends on my sense of threat level and the local laws or reciprocal agreement with my state's permit.

I did travel with a group last spring and several of them had inside the waistband holsters and such, all carrying. I was amazed that they were doing recoveries with those those hanging about. That made me more nervous than anything. Same as others have said, I know my proficiency, but don't know theirs. Or their level of clumsy!

On my last group trip I thought about discussing having firearms with the group leader, but decided I'd just keep it in it's compartment, safely locked away. I figured if he didn't see mine, I wouldn't see his. Same rule I have with my local LEOs!

FJOE

Regular Dude
The only other thing I would add. When I travel in group settings and I know someone in the mix has a firearm, but I don't know what level of training or proficiency they have, that makes me as nervous as anything. Even if that person has training but I'm not 100% sure about their judgment, that too gives me pause. Just food for thought.

Amen to that. I've seen people manipulate firearms that probably have no business even using a blender, much less a firearm. The same could be said about off road vehicles, or boats, or axes, or whatever. Shooting for sport and shooting for defense are two different things. For the latter, mindset, training, equipment selection, environmental considerations, threat alternatives, and a host of other things have to be taken into consideration. Like anything else, if you are going to do it, just be smart about it.

Last edited:

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy

I thought it sounded familiar. Those provide a modicum of protection but bagpipes provide an impenetrable defense.

To the point of this thread, if I was concerned about threats while in remote areas I'd sleep with a stage coach 12 gauge by my side. But I've never felt in any kind of danger where a firearm would be useful so I'm wondering what these threats are. Even desperate criminals have no interest in adding another murder to their crimes, unless you're such an ******** that they kill you out of shear annoyance

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I know an individual with scads of combat training, always has lots of guns, ammo, and tactical gear with him, but always stowed within normal packs and bags, nothing that smacks of "tactical." He said he'd rather people think his pack is full of stinky socks and granola bars than guns, cameras, and other expensive things worth fighting over.

As an Army veteran with years of training I try to be as subtle as possible whenever in public, it is usually the wannabe tactical types who have no training that try to flaunt it in public. Sounds like your friend likes to be subtle as well.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately every group is judged by its loudest blowhards. That means gun carriers are judged by a very specific kind of person who makes sure you know he carries as an implicit threat. He'll not only make sure you know he is carrying, he'll make sure to boast that he's ready to kill. No person who doesn't live in constant fear behaves this way.

I'm completely convinced that if we prevented wife beaters and bar brawlers from owning firearms, 99% of the fear-based boasting by carriers and bigmouth-based dustrust by non-carriers whould dissappear. Having a gun, or not, would no longer be an issue.

I have to agree.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
LoL. Good thread.

I wear 5.11 pants for plentiful pockets and the "comfort waist". Really more the latter... don't shoot me for that!

I do generally carry a pistol in a locked compartment of my truck when traveling with my family and/or in a group. I have a concealed carry license and spend a lot of time studying the law of possession in each of the states I plan to visit. Most of the time it sits locked and unloaded in that compartment, as much of the region I live is very restrictive to carry of a loaded pistol in a vehicle. My state is fine with a carry permit, but the neighboring ones aren't.

Sometime I have it loaded and in my center console. Just depends on my sense of threat level and the local laws or reciprocal agreement with my state's permit.

I did travel with a group last spring and several of them had inside the waistband holsters and such, all carrying. I was amazed that they were doing recoveries with those those hanging about. That made me more nervous than anything. Same as others have said, I know my proficiency, but don't know theirs. Or their level of clumsy!

On my last group trip I thought about discussing having firearms with the group leader, but decided I'd just keep it in it's compartment, safely locked away. I figured if he didn't see mine, I wouldn't see his. Same rule I have with my local LEOs!

An educated and trained gun owner is always the best kind to have around.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Amen to that. I've seen people manipulate firearms that probably have no business even using a blender, much less a firearm. The same could be said about off road vehicles, or boats, or axes, or whatever. Shooting for sport and shooting for defense are two different things. For the latter, mindset, training, equipment selection, environmental considerations, threat alternatives, and a host of other things have to be taken into consideration. Like anything else, if you are going to do it, just be smart about it.

I'm just thankful that my local gun range has the pistol and rifle ranges very much separated from each other, see far too many yahoos being unsafe at the pistol range, but even when I do use either range I go early morning on a weekday when it is quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven