Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I'm pricing out a quote to get a high-top done. I'm betting it'll be in the $3k range
FWIW here is the pricing I received from Firberine last year when I ordered my high top.
Obviously this was uninstalled and I would assume going through a shop who orders more then one top at a time price would be better.

2010 GMC STD Length van
24" Bubble top w/ reverse flange......................................$ 2950.00

Top is offered in a white gel coat FINISH.

OPTIONS:
1. Inside white liner........................................................$ 650.00
2. OSB wood reinforcement...........................................$ 285.00
-to mount an outside AC unit or rack
3. 3 strips of wood...........................................................$ 85.00
-for upholstery screw-in use ONLY
4. SET of 12"x43" half slider windows w/ bug screen...........$ 750.00

Packaging and crating is $ 325.00
Shipping is done through an independent freight company that will billed directly to you from the freight company. The approximate cost of shipping is to St. Paul, MN 55101 is $ 375.00
Please keep in mind this is only quote and pricing may change with out notice.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Another vote for a Fiberine high top. And I don't think we'll see any decent 4x4 offerings on a Transit.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Steve, I've been following you here and on YouTube. Why tack on exterior racks along the outside. Fred has dragged the trailer well and to places a lesser vehicle could never do.

How many bike? Four more twenty more? You said it yourself I think a few posts back, less performance for the same gas mileage.

I'd keep Fred and just strap on bikes like Band-Aids

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Explorer
If anyone would do it right, you would. This gives especially me a lot of hope. A transit on 33s would be so cool.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Cool. Let us know how you plan to build it out. If you need inspiration there several transit builds as well as lots of sprinters over on the sprinter-source.com forums.

A lifted transit with 4x4 could be pretty awesome. :Wow1:

phsycle

Adventurer
If you end up with a Transit, are you going 4wd conversion for sure? I've been contemplating getting a Sprinter and can't justify the extra cost of the 4wd. I might just throw in a couple of chains and call it good. These rigs weigh enough that with good AT and snow tires, it'll do fine on the trails (at least ones that it'll fit on) and snow. I hope.

Jb1rd

Explorer
I would strongly suggest that you reconsider this move, having done something similar I can tell you it is not easy and unless there is some serious financial incentive then you will be bummed with the $$$$$ of ownership per mile. Just my two Lincolns, sincerely wish you the best in whatever you do decide !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner