Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Here you can kind of see how much of a ledge is left when using the reverse flange. I thin k I could have cut it down a bit further to for a larger opening. Right now I can't recall why I didn't......
20858878139_096ca6b170_b.jpg

There are some great ideas to copy there, thanks! I love the utilitrac underneath the edge.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I definitely dig how the transits are more boxy and don't curve in so much up top. There's a big difference there. The floor square footage may be the same, but up top you lost a lot. I can sleep sideways in a transit, but not in an E350

Jb1rd

Explorer
Glad you are keeping Fred, can't wait to see what you do for your high top, I am still and maybe more so than before on the fence about doing the Fibirine 30" adventure top. I thought I was dead set on the pop top but the practicality of the fixed top is hard to deny, damn all of the informative posts on this topic it is making me go back and forth more than a tennis match!

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I know what you mean. I love the space of the transits, but they're weak. I love the idea of a high top, but they're narrow, weigh 400 lbs, and make it less stable in the wind. Everything is a tradeoff.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I LOVE the airstream b190 if I could have gotten 4 forward facing seats in one I would be driving it right now.
I don't know if their tops are made in house but I would consider it worth a follow up.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
You could mount a fold up trailer on rear of the airstream for hauling bikes to a trail head.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Explorer
We don't usually take the airstream to our mtb trailheads.

They take up so much valuable space in the van, but they're a big part of our lives and we want them locked away.

I know what you mean. I love the space of the transits, but they're weak. I love the idea of a high top, but they're narrow, weigh 400 lbs, and make it less stable in the wind. Everything is a tradeoff.

I have a fair amount of experience driving a diesel Ford van with a fiberglass high top. They're a little more susceptible to swaying in a cross wind but they're really not bad after a little adjustment. I think the ones I was driving were heavier, so I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse. I also think that keeping your current van is a better idea than switching to a Transit. I'm really enjoying following this thread and watching your videos.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Not that I want you to rid yourself of your sweet van but I noticed one of your reasons for not getting the transit was because you couldn't run an aftermarket stereo. They actually have Dash kits so you can run one if you would like available. They cost about 70$ and make a double din fit no problem.

I am excited to see a top go on this van!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
After driving a handful of transits, I've come to the conclusion that I'll be hanging on to Fred for a while longer. The only things I like about the new transits are:

1) the ecoboost engine
2) the square cargo area that stays square all the way to the top
3) the great visibility out that windsheild

After each test drive I kept finding more and more things that drove me crazy - a brake pedal that's 2" too high, plastic EVERYTHING, doors that don't shut well, poor door trim, issues with the airbox letting water in (that one I read about on the forums), no front inner fender liners protecting the washer bottle, a dash that doesn't allow me to run an aftermarket stereo, no real handle inside the rear cargo door to let me out, horrid ground clearance, the fact that the windows roll down 95% of the way, but not 100% of the way (there's still a 1/2" tab of glass sticking out when it's rolled down), the fact that the 60/40 front side window blocks the tow mirrors, the ebrake lever on the floor making it tough to climb back between the seats, the fact that you have to look at the ignition to insert your key (no plastic to guide it in), the procedure for removing the batteries, the plastic cargo bin above your head, dash controls that are point away from the driver and impossible to see... the list goes on...

None of these are deal-breakers on their own, but combined they make it a no-go for me. Maybe I've raised my expectations too high after driving a lot of hondas and toyotas. I've gotten used to a car being designed well, and $40-45k should feel as nice as a 10 year old honda. The transit wasn't designed well. It feels like a bunch of bean counters called all the shots and nobody was on the same page. Every little piece feels like a shortcut was taken. If I'm going to drop $40-45k on a new van, I don't want to have to tell myself to ignore all those things because it's "better than a promasater" or "cheaper than a sprinter."

That being said, I still think the transits are my favorite modern van, but my current van is so much better on so many fronts. I think I'll add a high top and see how that treats me. Then, if in a year or two I'm still jonesing for a transit, I can pick up a used one and save a bundle. I honestly felt like the transit felt more like a kia than a solid vehicle. I respect Ford for not taking bailout money, and for making cars for so long, but the engineers must really be against some crazy constraints, because the Transit is not user-friendly in any way, shape, or form (in my opinion). The good news is that this saves me a ton of time and energy. :)

Well that was a good read, thx Steve! :lurk:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
THe NVs don't do anything better than my current rig with a high-top. They have a lower towing capacity, worse MPG, worse reliability, worse aftermarket support and they're UGLY. An NV isn't even on my radar.

That being said, if someone was in the market for a new van and they refused to buy used, the NV and the GM are the two that can tow the most, and they actually have a frame.

derjack

Adventurer
Hi Steve,

I’ve been following your inspiring journey on Youtube and here for a while. I’m from Europe and obviously have not seen an E-350 from less than 3,500 miles away. Not trying to talk you in or out of anything here, but—is there really that much more room in a Transit? Is Fred’s interior at its full potential? Bear with me please.

View attachment 367553

Looking at the numbers it appears that only the super-long Transit would give you substantially more room than Fred with a high top. Going “off the beaten path” with that booty, even lifted and 4x4ed, might be quite the challenge… would it get any Airstream here? :)

I believe somewhere you said you’d like to be able to store the bikes with the front wheel on. You probably have seen this van (more pics here). There does not seem to be much headroom left, and not much length either. And climbing a platform that high might prove difficult for not-so-tall people.

On the other hand, with the front wheel off, the typical Outside Van interior might work in a mid/high roof LWB Transit—and, given the similar dimensions, probably just as well in a high-top Fred. Bikes could fit along or across. Or in a rear gear garage like this Sprinter has.

Another interesting approach: Accrete’s former van-and-trailer combo (page 7 and onwards), spreading their living space over the van (bed + bath) and the trailer (kitchen + living). Perhaps you could

• For most of the year, live in a smaller Airstream and use Fred as a bike hauler / office space. Integrating the van into your living space, and not just using it for towing and storage. Or keep your current Airstream.
  • When required, transform the van: Pull a modular bed platform, a porta-potty and a collapsible camp kitchen out of some now-unused Airstream storage space, live out of the van, and leave the trailer behind as the storage shed for whatever is temporarily not needed in the van.
A high top and remodeling your fixed (and probably somewhat limiting) interior would be required, yes, but there are many origami-like solutions out there, and it should be much less disruptive than starting over. And you’d end up with something more capable and, IMHO, better looking…

Just my two (Euro)cents.

Saludos from Spain
Thomas

I am from Germany and therefor now the Euro Vargo Vans quite well: For sure these ones (either Transit/Sprinter/french ones) do have noticeable more room inside. It may not seem much at first but 5-10 cm / 2-4 inches make a lot of a difference!
I had an Iveco Truck before. That one was similar wide but with almost strait walls. Due to that I was able to place a bed Transverse to the direction of travel with 1,80 m /~6 foot. This saves a lot of space inside the van and gave me a lot of space below the bed (140cm*180cm/ 55inch*6foot). I will not be able to a similar thing with my E350 Quigley. I´ll therefor enhance the space sideways on the drivers side by 4". From B pillar to the end of the van, from rain gutter till the bottom in straight metal....

I choose the Ford Econoline due to better Off-road/over landing capabilities than EU Vans. http://www.motorsvet.cz/clanek/minitest__ford_transit_4x4_extreme see photo #15/26 - no travel!

I don´t see a solution for Fred in this term. Hauling with Transits + 4x4 is not working out great. Fred is too low (mine has a high roof that I think is a must!) and narrow. If I were in the US I would choose an Ambulance instead. A short one of needed, like the minimods (I don´t remember exactly).
I do think money counts, so there is probably no real option for this:
dsc0028-1924x1083.jpg

The 4x4 Transit goes for ~30.000$ + ~5.000$ for 2" inch lift +,+ ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner