Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

sixstringsteve

Explorer
nah, we prefer backpacking tents to big ol' canvas tents. We've got 3 tents with us, so we're good on that front. We LOVE tent camping away from the vehicles, but we're thinking of an option where we can "stealth" camp (we're not fooling anyone, they'll know we're in there) on city streets if needed.

We're planning a 3 month trip of the east coast next year. We'd rather not have to drag the airstream all over, looking for a place to park it every week or two. With just the van, we have a lot more options.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The mobility with just the van would be huge. If you can get the van comfortable for daily living you would come out ahead compared to starting over with a new rig. :sombrero:

DzlToy

Explorer
You sir, need a mid roof Sprinter body grafted onto a 4WD Dodge 2500 pickup chassis :)

or maybe a crew cab NPR converted to 4WD with a removable 10 foot camper box on the back so you can set it off at camp and go biking and hiking AND tow the Airstream with the 400 HP Duramax that you put in place of the 200 HP Isuzu motor.

or just add a high top to the cool van you already have and keep it. :-|

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Yes! A sprinter body on top of a 4wd dodge 2500. That would be the ticket! A 4x4 NPR cummins wouldn't be half bad either! I'm pricing out a quote to get a high-top done. I'm betting it'll be in the $3k range. WAY cheaper than a pop top, and I think we'll like it more.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I believe the big issue with the sprinter and transit with regard to towing is the unibody. Attaching a hitch capable of handling larger loads is difficult. In theory adding a custom hitch with much beefier frame/body enforcement would allow towing heavier loads. Longer rear overhangs also make heavy loads on a unibody tough.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I'd be worried about jacking up the rear of the vehicle from the hitch, like when hooking up our weight distribution bars.

We may just do the high top for now, and in a year or two, if we're still not happy, there will be WAY more used transits for sale, and hopefully some better 4x4 options, cuz the current offerings suck. Plus that buys us a lot of time and hassle. Thanks for helping me talk it out guys, this really helps.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I believe the big issue with the sprinter and transit with regard to towing is the unibody. Attaching a hitch capable of handling larger loads is difficult.

I thought the same thing, 'till I realized the drw sprinter is rated to tow 7500lbs. I'm assuming it has the same unibody as the others?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I thought the same thing, 'till I realized the drw sprinter is rated to tow 7500lbs. I'm assuming it has the same unibody as the others?

The 3500 sprinters have a heavier body from what I understand, especially around spring mounts. 4x4 DRW sprinters can be converted to super singles I believe?

Jsweezy

Explorer
I am another vote for either the high top or the pop top over the transit/sprinter. If you end up hating it I guarantee someone else on here that's been following you wouldn't mind taking it off your hands and will glad you put either one of those on.

GNTY

Adventurer
I worry that putting a high top on would hurt resale value too. What do you think?
Over what your van is currently, a high top will increase the resale value.
I first had a high top then wanted to know what all the hyp was about the pop top was, so sold it and bought a smb pop top. I have no desire to awn another one, I'm currently doing a high top on my smb and will never look back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner