From Norway to Kola Peninsula, Russia

Berglid

Adventurer
I made some nice tracks for Jon to follow.
IMG_1193.jpg

Martin was no ********** and wanted to take his own track. We ended up winching him up the hill.
DSCF3660.jpg

Well now the fun part started. Muddy roads, logs and a lot of fun.
IMG_1201.jpg

Well the Land Rover got stuck first. It was so stuck Jon could not pull it backwards. So it ended up I drove around in the mud and winched him forward. Then Frank decided I was going to drive first in these though parts.
IMG_1738.jpg

These roads were a lot of fun. Slow technical driving on slippery logs and old military tires in the sinkholes.
DSCF3680.jpg

These old fellas have traveled for years together. Good field mechanic's and experienced drivers.
DSCF3685.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

Well after the muddy part it was time for lunch. We found a great place. The fishing were supposed to be good, but no one got any fish.
IMG_1294.jpg

After the lunch the roads got better. More sand, wider roads and we could drive faster. Suddenly it all opened up.
IMG_1298.jpg

Last edited:

Timod110

Observer
This looks like a fantastic trip in a part of the world I didn't even know existed (excuse my ignorance on Russian geography!). Thanks for the great posts and photos.

Cheers

T_

Berglid

Adventurer
The road went from a wide road into a gigantic asphalt road. WTH, Frank then told us over the radio that we were now driving over an old abandoned military airfield.
IMG_1732.jpg

But it didn’t take long before we were back into the small roads in the forest. Here we actually found a grave from an unknown driver..
IMG_1311.jpg

Further down the road we met this car. Were the hell are we going?
IMG_1312.jpg

We came to a Russian city called Kirovsk. City driving in Russia is a little bit scary I must admit. But stays focused and drive a little bit aggressive and it was no problem this time.
IMG_1330.jpg

Could this be some kind of local bus to the small villages??
IMG_1735.JPG

It was hard to keep everyone together in the traffic, even in a small place like this. So we found a supermarket and parked our cars. Frank told us it was no problem to leave the car. The Russians are not as dangerous and criminal as people think. But we still had an extra eye to the cars. We did some food shopping for the last days and wandered around.
IMG_1635.jpg

Berglid

Adventurer
We also had a coffee and something small to eat. This was inside the mall. They were playing heavy rock music on the speakers. Kind of funny.
IMG_1348.jpg

The stores were loaded of old fashion clothes. Would you like a new wardrobe?
IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

Now we are going up into the mountains you see!
IMG_1355.jpg

Last edited:

Berglid

Adventurer
We found the road that leads up into the mountain. It was big in the beginning because it was going to a big mine. A lot of big trucks drove in high speeds on this road. It got worse when we passed the mine.
IMG_1737.jpg

Lada VS Cruiser
IMG_1368.jpg

We stopped by a nice well to fill some water. I think Kjell misunderstood and was sure it was vodka!
IMG_1370.jpg

Can you find your way home?
IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

Asbjørn on the way up the mountain
DSCF3720.jpg

Short stop, not long until we started on the long river/ lake crossings!!
DSCF3722.jpg

Berglid

Adventurer
Finally the big lake crossings we had heard so much about. The plan was to drive in-between small islands were between the lakes. And then get to the second lake were we would have our campsite. Frank went first, he knows the way and were to drive in the water.
IMG_1383.jpg

Asbjørn washing his car
DSCF3726.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

It was a long crossing, and a lot of fun. Sometimes we got onto land.
IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

Last edited:

Berglid

Adventurer
IMG_1439.jpg

Jon has no idea how lucky he was, next time turn your snorkel Jon.
IMG_1629.JPG

Carl
IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

When everyone was over, we played around with the water crossings. It was safe and a fun place to practice river crossing. But when we finished, we discovered that Kjell had lost his number plates. We laughed a bit, and then checked my car. Mine was also gone. Frank then told us that we needed them to exit Russia. Damn!
IMG_1543.jpg

Luckily, Jon and Carl have Safari heads, not TJM Airtec ones... With an Airtec, They would certainly had problems... How the choice of a snorkel brand can save your trip !!!
Excellent report so fare ! Thanks a lot for sharing ;)
All the best
Nico

fisher205

Explorer
This has been one of the most interesting of trips. Totally a new local for a change. A fun look into Russia and different from the usual one we get to see.

Thanks,
-Brad

Berglid

Adventurer
Well, it took only 10 seconds and Kjell was already in his underpants. Come on guys, you all know how a license plate feels like under water when you hit it with a stick? Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures from the search and rescue for our license plates. We ended up starting in the beginning and walked all the way back in the freezing water. I found one license plate in the last pound, and suddenly Thomas found the other one. We were freezing. So we drove back to camp. When we parked we were thinking, what the hell. Let’s take a swim!
DSCF3733.jpg

Time to put up our cozy camp, dry some clothes and make dinner!
IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

I found out I had to dig down my underpants. It was not worth the risk smuggling it back into Norway.
IMG_1688.jpg

It was a really nice sundown this evening.
DSCF3735.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

DSCF3742.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3