FSJ who has them

preacherman

Explorer
Well this weekend we camped just north of payson az along th pyeatt draw rd. great area to camp and explore. We decided that we need a bigger rig to accomidate our growing family. I have a few questions about the grand wagoneer (there is one for sale in our area)
  • Did they ever come with third row seats?
  • How is the ride? our two main concerns are ride quality and seating.
  • After market parts avaliablity, such as suspension lift, bumpers, sliders
  • Do any of you guys haul the family around withall your gear? What do you think?

Let me see if I can answer your questions.
-No they never came with third row seats but they have plenty of room. I have seen a few guys put a rear seat from a CJ7 in the back nicely.
-The ride is really good. It is a little smoother than my old FJ60 and a lot smoother than my buddy's K5 blazer. It has leaf springs so if will not ride like a 4runner.
-Aftermarket parts are hit and miss. There is tons of axle, suspension, and motor parts but very few bumpers. Bumpers can be fabricated easy however.
-That's the plan, these things have a lot of room

Hope that helps

preacherman

Explorer
Picked her up yesterday.

IMG_0120.jpg

Plans include a 3" lift and 31s eventually. It will mainly be used as a DD, with occasional boat hauler and camping duty.

Nice, she looks like a beauty!

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Thanks Preacherman.

Hey MoGas it was a pleasure to meet you and chat around the fire at Mingus mountain. So you owned a wagoneer before? If I may ask why did you switch to a toyota? your toyota is nice though.

Does any one have the front and rear spring specs for the gr wag.
thanks in advance.

cipioxx

Observer
1985 Grand Wagoneer

I have a 1985 Waggy that I am just about ready to start working on. I got rid of my other project (1998 Land Rover Discovery) and got this Jeep for free. It has a 3in Rustys lift, 31in tires, 360 with Edelbrock intake, carb, and cam and some kind of jigh performance ignition system. The guy I got it from (for free) has a 2003 Ribicon and didn't want\need the Wagoneer anymore. I want to find a way to put a manual transmission in it eventually, but for now, I am trying to have it road ready for an OBX run the 1st week of August.

Attachments

• P4080008.JPG
    P4080008.JPG
    549.1 KB · Views: 252
  • P4080015.JPG
    P4080015.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 201
  • P4200016.JPG
    P4200016.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 201

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I have a 1985 Waggy that I am just about ready to start working on. I got rid of my other project (1998 Land Rover Discovery) and got this Jeep for free. It has a 3in Rustys lift, 31in tires, 360 with Edelbrock intake, carb, and cam and some kind of jigh performance ignition system. The guy I got it from (for free) has a 2003 Ribicon and didn't want\need the Wagoneer anymore. I want to find a way to put a manual transmission in it eventually, but for now, I am trying to have it road ready for an OBX run the 1st week of August.

the high performance ignition looks to be the TFI upgrade. Check out IFSJA.org for details, but basically it is a few chunks of the ignition from a '90 Ford V8.

What does it need to be road ready?

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader

Nice...free is good:)

svaras

Observer
My baby....

1989 GW
BJ´s 4" lift
31x10,5 BF´s AT
Vortec 6.0, Nelson Performance Tunning, Air Aid kit, Magnaflow exaust.
4L60E.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I got whats left of one!

I have whats left of an '83 F/S Cherokee. I say "whats left" in referance to the body cancer that has claimed MUCH of the floor boards:Wow1:. I found it on CL and for the $$ I couldnt pass it up... didnt realise the rust was that bad! But it was set up mostly like what i was looking for. 258-6cyl/4sp/manual t-case. NO electric anything! Jeeps of those years are world reknowned for rotten window and door electrics. I thought i had scored a great deal, esp. since it was origally a parks service truck. Only 73K oiginal miles! It runs well but it will run much better with a diesel!
Currently im running a Rustys 4" lift, 33x10.5 BFG mud t/a s on the original slot mags. I hand fabbed a winch bumper to hold the MM9500. I also built a full length roof rack. Some days its a work in progress and others its just "under destruction"! Its a lil big to play with the "small" jeeps but it allways makes me grin when the others are setting up thier tents and im stretching out my 6' self in the the back on an air mattress!!:elkgrin:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
who needs a tent when you can fold down the seats and sleep! i love that part about mine as well.

now where can i get a solid front axle for mine......:victory:

Its a lil big to play with the "small" jeeps but it allways makes me grin when the others are setting up thier tents and im stretching out my 6' self in the the back on an air mattress!!:elkgrin:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
mini RV for ME!

Yeah, its great. I usually leave the back seat at home. Less wieght, more space! Not sure what you meant about the solid axle though? All FSJs have "solid" dana44s up front.?.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Yeah, its great. I usually leave the back seat at home. Less wieght, more space! Not sure what you meant about the solid axle though? All FSJs have "solid" dana44s up front.?.

Nope nope... There were some IFS ones too, and there were Dana 53's, 60's, 70's, and some AMC 20's too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal