Full size truck considerations

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Crazy! I weighed it on a govt CVSE scale (truck scale on hwy) and it was 1490kg front, 1110kg rear, (5732lb) no topper or anything.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have to admit to being a little skeptical of some of these MPG numbers. :rolleyes:

Fully loaded 4x4, full of passengers and on a lift and getting 24 mpg?

i-dont-believe-you.jpg

OP, don't think you're going to be getting 20+ MPG when fully loaded, especially with a camper.

Around town (suburban) driving I get 16 - 18. On long highway drives I can sometimes get above 20 but it doesn't stay there long. And I'm not a speed demon either.

Towing? HA! I'm ecstatic if I hit double digits. 8 - 9 is more common.

Speaking of MPG, I've been running a kind of "experiment" on octane levels. Here in Colorado, the 3 levels are 85 (regular) 87 (mid grade) and 91 (premium) (the equivalent of 87, 89 and 93 at lower altitudes.)

For the last 7 months or so I exclusively ran premium (91 octane.) Then, I ran regular for a while. Now I'm running 87 (mid grade). I'll do maybe two more tankfulls of 87 and then examine my results. In terms of power, I can't tell any difference.

With COVID keeping me working at home, I'm not putting many miles on the truck, so the miles I do put on tend to be heavy on towing. Since we live in Denver almost every trip we take starts off with a steep climb from 5500' up to at least an 11,000' pass and then back down (actually a series of climbs, about 3 big climbs, from about 5500 to 8500, then from about 8000 to 9000 and finally from about 8500 to 11000.) That tends to put my starting MPG in the mid single-digits of 7 - 8.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I find the EPA Rating is a best case empty senario. I almost bought a F150 for work til I asked guys with them and setup for work they all got under 15mpg. Same as my TJ with a trailer.

Nothing wrong with the F150 but don't expect 25mpg camping.

Payload Ratings are carved in stone. Regardless of what you add or change that GVWR is the "legal" limit. I've seen GM void a warranty on a Camper/Pickup in for repairs which they scaled and discovered it was over weight. I imagine Ford & Dodge are the same.
23-24mpg is in 2wd eco mode and hyper mile style on stock tires and tune. My 400hp stock Expedition does it, same driver. Same trips in my 4.7L Sequoia was typically 16mpg.

We have a 2019 f150 with the ten speed and diesel engine at work. It gets rode hard by multiple people and keeps on going without a hiccup. Just regular maintenance so far. It gets a good 600 miles to a tank as well. Towed a 10,000 pound trailer with it once. It wasn't happy but it did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Payload Ratings are carved in stone. Regardless of what you add or change that GVWR is the "legal" limit. I've seen GM void a warranty on a Camper/Pickup in for repairs which they scaled and discovered it was over weight. I imagine Ford & Dodge are the same.

Actually anything you add to try to improve it just eats into it. Airbags, sway bars, helper springs, heavier tires... whatever they weigh is eating into what you are rated to carry.

D

Deleted member 9101

Actually anything you add to try to improve it just eats into it. Airbags, sway bars, helper springs, heavier tires... whatever they weigh is eating into what you are rated to carry.

That's actually a very valid point.

Grassland

Man best I have ever done was 19.5 miles per US gallon on my 3.7 supercab on "34"s on highway around 65 mph. Towing is more like 13-16 mpg. Around Town not towing is 15 mpg.
On 32s was about the same but I always had 1000#+ in the truck and ladders on the roof so highway was worse and in town about the same.

phsycle

Adventurer
Man best I have ever done was 19.5 miles per US gallon on my 3.7 supercab on "34"s on highway around 65 mph. Towing is more like 13-16 mpg. Around Town not towing is 15 mpg.
On 32s was about the same but I always had 1000#+ in the truck and ladders on the roof so highway was worse and in town about the same.

My neighbor has a 2013 Tundra on 34’s. He gets 10mpg. ?

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?

I'd still much rather have airbags, 10 ply tires that eat into my payload than max it out without that stuff lol

rruff

Explorer
Some people go bananas doing axle/trans/engine swaps in the name of being able to tow more... and everything they are doing actually legally decreasing what they can tow.
There isn't any legality though, unless you are trying to claim a warranty. And mods to suspension and tires definitely do enhance the ability of the truck to haul a load.

phsycle

Adventurer
I average >16mpg in my Tundra. With 35" ATs. That isn't trying either.

If you want to compare mpgs, Fuelly is your best source of info. The Tundra is ~2mpg (~15%) below newer comparable 1/2 tons.

I think you’re above the norm. You must have a Wednesday truck!

Another friend of mine also was lifted on 35’s. 2008 Tundra, owned since new. He’s also around 9-11mpg, on the average. He decided to go domestic when he moved on a couple years ago. But even his current truck (F150) also on 35’s, is around 16mpg.

That’s crazy you’re getting 16 with 35’s though. Hold on to that truck!

rruff

Explorer
The manufacturer draws the line at some fixed number, they're saying the cooling capacity for the engine and transmission, the clamping force and thermal duty cycle of the brakes, the damping and thermal capacity of the shocks, the rigidity of the frame, the height of the springs... etc. are all adequate for some number of pounds under the circumstances of legal routes and traffic laws in the country in which the vehicle is sold.

1/2 ton trucks in the US have suspension and tires for street driving. They pay more attention to towing, because a lot of people want a daily driver that they can also use to tow a trailer. But you can't easily have a truck that rides and handles nice on the street and also accomodates a high payload. For a higher payload (within reason) the engine and transmission are more than adequate, as well as the brakes. The frame doesn't need to be rigid, but it does need to be stong enough for the loads put on it. With light loads they are designed to survive hitting large bumps and ruts at speed (apparently, since so many do it), so... slow down a little if you are overloaded. Suspension and tires are the main things that need attention if you wish to safely and comfortably carry a higher load.

85_Ranger4x4

There isn't any legality though, unless you are trying to claim a warranty. And mods to suspension and tires definitely do enhance the ability of the truck to haul a load.

Unless your overloaded truck gets in a wreck or scaled.

And yes, they allow the truck to carry the load better but they do eat into the actual legal weight rating of the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal