Gas Cans 05 TundraBeast Build. Another build for the Big Guys!

seanpistol

Explorer
Do you still have the pocket that went where your new switch panel is? I'd like to buy it from you if so. I can't find one and my console was missing it from the junkyard.

GasCan

Observer
I went with 4.56 gears. With 33" its only a slight reduction in effective gear ratio from stock.

I really don't notice much on the highway except for when it drops into passing gear.

In 4 LOW it seams to crawl over stuff easier.

GC

GasCan

Observer
The biggest welding project I have ever taken on was my rear bumper. This was supposed to be a family of 4 adventure vehicle...so storage would be at a premium, thus I wanted a swing arm to carry some stuff like jack, spare and water/gas cans.

At first I thought I would just build it off the trailer hitch but in the end I pulled it off and started from scratch.

Bit of a mock up

I was gonna base it off a 4" x 6" rectangular tube. I wanted 1/8 wall to save weight but ended up with 3/16"... which is heavy...but strong. I tried to reduce the weight buy cutting out sections with a plasma cutter.

Mounts were made with 3" angle. Because I am a hobby welder all joints were backed up with 2 x 5/8" G8 bolts.

Pinched in the ends to make it look better.

Another mock up

Bent some filler plates to box out the bottom.

Made some mounts for the highlift jack. Made a notch to keep things from sliding off.

Stuck a 2" receiver in the drivers side end....just because.

Pic of my weight saving efforts. I ended up covering the holes with aluminum sheet.

Got the Extreme swing out kit from A-Z Fab. Turned the end down so it pierced both top and bottom of the bumper.

Had to pre heat the spindle to 300 deg because I was worried about penetration with my little welder.

Cut out some holes for the recovery points.

Preheated them and welded them inside and out.

Pretty much done the bumper

Next was the swing arm.

GC

Last edited:

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
The receiver on the end is interesting. I can see it making recoveries easier in some circumstances. Just stick in shackle hitch mount and boom.

GasCan

Observer
The receiver on the end is interesting. I can see it making recoveries easier in some circumstances. Just stick in shackle hitch mount and boom.

Was thinking toilet seat or BBq grill, but Im sure its plenty strong enough for a side winch or pull. Nothing dynamic however.

GC

GasCan

Observer
I wanted to a swing arm to get the spare out form under the box, and a spot for 2 gas/water cans. The motivation behind this build was to take the Fam to Alaska (which in the end never happened) and the extra spot on the arm would give me the capability to carry two spares.

Mockup.

Main bar was a 2"x2" 1/8" wall tubing but flexed a fair amount under load so I trussed it with 1 3/4" angle.

Spring loaded lock pin keeps it in place.

I wanted some flexibility with the arm and save some weight when the spare was off the truck so I put a 2" receiver on the top of the arm and a spare tire adaptor. I am planning on making a rear vertical mountain bike adaptor as well.

Lastly managed to squeak in the jack mount.

Cam over clasp holds it closed.

In DD mode I typically use the spare under the bed. I could even take the whole arm off if I wanted to.

And again in full expedition mode.

Later on I added reverse lights that I tapped into the trailer plug reverse harness.

I love how it turned out......except the weight. I never did weight it but Its pretty heavy.

GC

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Wow that's a pretty impressive bumper build. Like everything you did on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GasCan

Observer
Thanks TT,

I have been catching up on your build. Looks awesome. Really like those bumpers.

Like you I am struggling with my rear leaf springs. With a full expedition load out I am sagging in the rear. I weighed my truck on its last adventure and I was at 7260lbs. Gonna do some math...and probably order a custom pack.

GC

GasCan

Observer
I know. Crazy heavy. 7025lbs without me in it.

From what I understand, most use Deaver or Alcan.

Adds us quick.

GC

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater