Gb: Alien led light bars! (Closed)

sleeper00

Observer
After checking out the spot I got, I feel its a great amount of light for a roof mounted option. It does light the sides of the trail, but all the light is thrown in front of the truck. I recommend the spot, but you can run a combo if you want more light for the sides.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

sleeper00

Observer
I provided everyone with a discount code that can be seen in the original post. You can place your order at trailduty.com.

Please be advised theres information from our vendor that I've just posted please be sure to read it over if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Any questions in regards to out of country shipping please contact trailduty.com directly via email or telephone.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
I am following this thread out of interest because I am a major led lighting enthusiast and have actually built my own units from parts.

I am probably alone in this sentiment but I wish I could get bare housings from aurora or hanma and put good stuff in them.

Interesting discussion about the reflectors. I have not actually looked at the patent for the rigid reflectors but there is no way they have a patent on a particular efficiency number. They may very well have a patent on a specific beam shape from a specific light source.

I can tell from the photos posted that the alien light bars use optics rather than reflectors. I actually like a good optic more than a good reflector because the beam tends to be more even and does not have a hot spot in the center.

As for off road lighting companies making there own optics. I wish they would not. I would like to see a standard form factor used like 20mm round for instance. This would let us choose the really good stuff from companies that have been making LED optics and reflectors for a long time. Companies like carclo, ledil, fraen, polymer optics, ect. We would then be able to build the ideal beam. My ideal beam would from a combination of aspheric optics for a tigh focused very far reaching portion of the beam and 25 degree total internal reflection optic for a smooth transition from the spot to a wide area of light.

With an empty housing I could then fit latest and greatest LEDs of my choice like Cree XPG g2 in 4500K color temp. FYI Cree rolls out thousand of LEDs for a given chip die and then tests them and sorts them into bins for color temp, tint, and forward voltage. There is a big difference between cheap bins and top ones. With out a photo of the reel the led comes off of all claims are just claims. Many Leds sold from over seas companies claim to be a particular cree model and are not. A three watt cree LED can range from 80 lumens per watt for an old bottom of the barrel bin to well over 150 lumens per watt at a specified temperature and drive current.

I also have a huge affinity for the US engineered electronics from task led built by a guy named George. They have no equal. Electronics can easily use up to 20% of the power input in a LED design. A good design will be 97%. It is easy to measure this by measuring current into and out of the electronics.

Its neat to see alien taking Chinese built stuff and refitting new reflectors. They are on the right track with this and wow would I ever be a happy camper if I could buy empty light bars and supply my own electronics, optics and Leds. The housings do look to be quite nice even to my very critical eye.

Last edited:

sleeper00

Observer
Great info on that! Good thing about these are that there spot (euro) beam is between 25-30 deg which is quite perfect of a beam. I wish I had a better camera to show people the output of the 40" I bought. I definately agree with you, although, Alien is not going to sell the housings only though.

The price on these with a limited lifetime warranty is pretty sweet though. This particular warranty is through trailduty.com. If you purchase the LEDs from another source, its just a 2 year warranty. I negotiated that for us, because I wanted the piece of mind with this newer product.

sleeper00

Observer
Did you pay with PayPal?

If so, I listed this issue in the original post, that trailduty.com listed that there is a problem with using PayPal, but he will fix it (call him Monday) and refund the difference. If you want to avoid the issue, just use a credit card.

sleeper00

Observer
Guys, I keep getting word that others have ordered, but I can't mark you off as paid until I know. Please post up and keep this buy going strong. I have been told we made enough already to justify the 35% off! Well done everyone! Now lets get together for some mod days and have a couple cold ones!

Give you guys a heads up. This buy is still going strong and it doesn't close till November 9th!

barlowrs

Explorer

sleeper00

Observer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven