Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

The Pelican 1650 case fits perfectly on top of the passenger back seat. It leaves room for the back passenger seat behind the driver or the fridge there.

77AB3660-0375-47DC-A504-22EE35A3F0B5.jpeg

1000arms

You might want to replace the O-ring in the Pelican case, because you might find a reason to move the case outside, even if only temporarily.

Mules

You might want to replace the O-ring in the Pelican case, because you might find a reason to move the case outside, even if only temporarily.
Thanks, I didn't know the O-rings were replaceable. This case must be designed really tight, as it has a pressure relief valve on the side.

1000arms

Thanks, I didn't know the O-rings were replaceable. This case must be designed really tight, as it has a pressure relief valve on the side.
You are welcome. Make sure to get the Pelican 1650 O-ring from a company that will package it well to avoid damaging it in transit. About $10 for the O-ring. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/77258-REG/Pelican_1653_321_000_1653_O_Ring.html

"Pelican™ Protector Case™
Sensitive equipment needs protection, and since 1976 the answer has been the Pelican™ Protector Case. These cases are designed rugged, and travel the harshest environments on earth. Against the extreme cold of the arctic or the heat of battle, Pelican cases have survived.

Made in the USA, these tough cases are designed with an automatic purge valve, that equalizes air pressure, a watertight silicone O-ring lid, over-molded rubber handles and stainless steel hardware.
" is from:

You might get some ideas from:

Mules

Looks like the Pelican case would be better suited for the roof, if I ever get around to adding a roof rack over the freedom panels.

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 10.32.33 AM.png

Mules

This is definitely one of those "Why the hell didn't I think of that" days.

So I've camped about a half dozen times in my rig, and without fail, I have to get up in the middle of the night to take a whiz. I don't want to clean out the porta potty, so I put my shoes on, go outside and do my business. I've stopped bringing the porta potty, since I don't use it.

So today I was talking to one of my pilot buddies, who also camps in his 4x4 van and has the same issue. Simple enough, he just uses a milk jug!

Walgreens has something better than a milk jug for a few bucks.

No more leaving the camper at night! If you have good aim, you don't even need to get out of bed:)

IMG_8061.JPG

If you want something more trustworthy, here is what my pilot buddies use.

Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 7.37.53 PM.png

1000arms

So I've camped about a half dozen times in my rig, and without fail, I have to get up in the middle of the night to take a whiz. I don't want to clean out the porta potty, so I put my shoes on, go outside and do my business. I've stopped bringing the porta potty, since I don't use it.

So today I was talking to one of my pilot buddies, who also camps in his 4x4 van and has the same issue. Simple enough, he just uses a milk jug!

No more leaving the camper at night! If you have good aim, you don't even need to get out of bed:)

IMG_8061.JPG

View attachment 769866
:) ... See the following two ExPo links:

The Nalgene Wide Mouth Rectangular Bottle (64-Ounce) work for me, and I don't worry about confusing them with my 32 oz cylindrical Nalgene drinking water bottles. :cool:

I actually have TWO of them, and I have traveled over 40,000 miles with them in all sorts of weather. :) ... ... ... My cost per urinary mile is quite low. :cool:

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard

IMG_8061.JPG

View attachment 769866
I actually keep a blue Nalgene bottle in the back of my truck for my 5-year-old, since anyone with a small kid knows there's a finite amount if time between, "I have to go potty" and "oopsies, I need new underwear". I find that people don't think twice when I dump a Nalgene bottle out in the grass at a McDonald's, but I don't think the same would happen with a little John, or even a yellow-tinted water bottle.

Mules

On a different subject, I've been thinking about taking a dirt bike along instead of my mountain bike on camping trips. I would mount it on a trailer hitch mount on my Gladiator similar to my mountain bike. Ideally it would be street legal, light weight with enough power to do some short highway trips.

Here are four bikes I found at my local big motorcycle dealer. Some Dual Sports and Adventure Bikes.

The Kawasaki KLR Adventure is definitely a great deal for a bigger touring bike, all rigged out for $7-$8K. Definitely big enough for me at 6'2" and 210 lb. Just too heavy and big for my trail riding and trailer hitch.

screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-7-45-51-pm-png.png

The KTM390 Adventure is the coolest bike in this price range around $6K. Feels a lot more like a street bike than for trails. Too short on the suspension for my trails, and a bit heavy.

screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-7-47-09-pm-png.png

The Kawasaki KLX300 is my winner for best value, street legal trail bike for your trailer hitch rack. Light enough for me to pick up (300lb), water cooled, fuel injected, low maintenance and runs around $6K. Tall enough for me, with plenty of suspension to hit the trails, and just enough power for highways. There's also a cheaper KLX230 that is air cooled.

screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-7-43-19-pm-png.png

But....

Here's the one that wins over my heart. How can a 500cc Dual Sport KTM weight less than the Kawasaki KLX300 at only 250lbs?! The KTM 500 EXC is hands down the best performing street legal dual sport there is. The only problem is the price tag at $12.5K! Ouch...

screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-8-09-45-pm-png.png

I'm keeping my eye out for a used KTM. Don't tell my wife I looking for another toy. ;)

86scotty

Cynic
I would think you would have to really stiffen up the rear of a Jeep to support a few hundred pounds of bike. I'm always amazed at how soft Jeeps are. My fridge and sliding drawer made my wife's JLU sag! I don't know about a Gladiator though.

I vote KTM. I love them. Haven't had one in years but they are amazing.

wild1

Adventurer
Those guys aren’t afraid of the GVWR police! That GS and carrier has to be over 700 pounds. I have been trying out a new angle for the Gladiator that seems to be working well. It weighs 75 pound has a 1000 watt motor front and rear and two battery’s for 80 miles of range. Working out how to keep it charged for long duration trips but it is doing 90 percent of what I used my old 301D9EE6-E966-4FE7-A697-733CBE73CD6F.jpeg301D9EE6-E966-4FE7-A697-733CBE73CD6F.jpeg301D9EE6-E966-4FE7-A697-733CBE73CD6F.jpeghitch carry bike for at one fifth the weight. The biggest downside is they both are about the same price!

Attachments

• 3F95642B-0C1D-4416-B944-1AF8E59041BB.jpeg
    3F95642B-0C1D-4416-B944-1AF8E59041BB.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 15

wild1

Adventurer
Those guys aren’t afraid of the GVWR police! That GS and carrier has to be over 700 pounds. I have been trying out a new angle for the Gladiator that seems to be working well. It weighs 75 pound has a 1000 watt motor front and rear and two battery’s for 80 miles of range. Working out how to keep it charged for long duration trips but it is doing 90 percent of what I used my old View attachment 771640View attachment 771640View attachment 771640hitch carry bike for at one fifth the weight. The biggest downside is they both are about the same price!
Sorry for the multiple pictures, I am having some problem with attachments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy