Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

Spring is finally here. I’m getting excited to go camping without freezing! My ideas about running the truck’s heater at night or bringing my gas generator to power my electric heater were a pain in the keister.

I’ll have to find a better solution before next winter. For now I’ll enjoy some nice weather, before it gets to 100 degrees!

879F4AFC-AF5E-4513-99D3-57ECB5B1B961.jpeg

Mules

Sorry for the multiple pictures, I am having some problem with attachments.
No worries, it's great when people post pictures. Funny you brought up electric bikes, I'm caught between buying an electric Bike or a Motorcycle. The Specialized Levo and the Kawasaki KLX300 are about the same price around $6K. It's hard to believe that a mountain bike and a motorcycle cost the same amount.

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 5.36.33 PM.png

And of course KTM has an electric bike. I love it!!!

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 5.40.52 PM.png

And one last one I have been thinking about, the SurRon. Too bad the KTM and SurRon are not street legal in Missouri. This would be a nice light weight option for the back of the Gladiator.

I do way to much internet shopping in the winter!

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 5.46.00 PM.png

Last edited:

Mules

It's finally nice camping weather here in Missouri, and I'm out of commission for a month or so. Just had an operation, and I'm restricted to sitting around the house.

I'd love to see any pictures of other 4x4 camping rigs, while I sit on my couch. Keep me entertained and post some pictures!!

IMG_7528 2.JPG

1000arms

It's finally nice camping weather here in Missouri, and I'm out of commission for a month or so. Just had an operation, and I'm restricted to sitting around the house.

I'd love to see any pictures of other 4x4 camping rigs, while I sit on my couch. Keep me entertained and post some pictures!!

IMG_7528 2.JPG
:unsure: ... Are you complaining about your front lawn again? ... :cool:

Get well soon!

Mules

I grew up in that area in a neighboring state. There is a lot of beautiful country in the area, including west ar and eastern ok.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Yes that corner of Missouri, Southernwestern Missouri is typically called the Ozarks, which is covered with beautiful lakes, rivers, streams, hills, and trees. You have Branson MO, Bentonville Arkansas, and all the lakes formed by the Arkansas river in Oklahoma. We don't have Oceans, Deserts, or Mountains, but we do have the Ozarks.

I've lived quite a few places in the country and have loved them all in ways. Lived in the Northeast as a kid, snowmobiling, boating, and eating a lot of seafood. Became a man in Central Texas and Missouri, eating lots of BBQ, riding dirt bikes and surviving street bikes and fast cars. Testosterone and fast vehicles make a scary combination. Living and working in Europe and Asia, taught me to slow down, look around, and taste how sweet the world and it's people can be. Started and raised a family, now time to go exploring again!

Last edited:

camodog

Adventurer
On a different subject, I've been thinking about taking a dirt bike along instead of my mountain bike on camping trips. I would mount it on a trailer hitch mount on my Gladiator similar to my mountain bike. Ideally it would be street legal, light weight with enough power to do some short highway trips.

Here are four bikes I found at my local big motorcycle dealer. Some Dual Sports and Adventure Bikes.

The Kawasaki KLR Adventure is definitely a great deal for a bigger touring bike, all rigged out for $7-$8K. Definitely big enough for me at 6'2" and 210 lb. Just too heavy and big for my trail riding and trailer hitch.

screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-7-45-51-pm-png.png

The KTM390 Adventure is the coolest bike in this price range around $6K. Feels a lot more like a street bike than for trails. Too short on the suspension for my trails, and a bit heavy.

screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-7-47-09-pm-png.png

The Kawasaki KLX300 is my winner for best value, street legal trail bike for your trailer hitch rack. Light enough for me to pick up (300lb), water cooled, fuel injected, low maintenance and runs around $6K. Tall enough for me, with plenty of suspension to hit the trails, and just enough power for highways. There's also a cheaper KLX230 that is air cooled.

screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-7-43-19-pm-png.png

But....

Here's the one that wins over my heart. How can a 500cc Dual Sport KTM weight less than the Kawasaki KLX300 at only 250lbs?! The KTM 500 EXC is hands down the best performing street legal dual sport there is. The only problem is the price tag at $12.5K! Ouch...

screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-8-09-45-pm-png.png

I'm keeping my eye out for a used KTM. Don't tell my wife I looking for another toy. ;)

I currently have a DRZ 400 that I use on a hitch hauler for my excursions.
Your assessment seems spot on with all those choices. I lust after the KTM 500 and will most likely grab one next year.

Mules

I currently have a DRZ 400 that I use on a hitch hauler for my excursions.
Your assessment seems spot on with all those choices. I lust after the KTM 500 and will most likely grab one next year.
Did the hitch mount work OK for the DRZ? Any pics?

camodog

Adventurer
Did the hitch mount work OK for the DRZ? Any pics?

it’s not glamorous and shows the SM fender still on with dirt wheels. I’ll try to get some better pics whenever the snow melts. Truck does fine with the added weight hanging off the back.

Attachments

• FFBD68D4-BA6E-4139-8172-A3BD8EE88701.jpeg
    FFBD68D4-BA6E-4139-8172-A3BD8EE88701.jpeg
    440.6 KB · Views: 23

Mules

so...uh...where'd ya go to high school?

Kidding. I'm in the area often (I did actually attend high school there). Beautiful rig!
Haha... For those of you not from St. Louis, one of the most asked questions when meeting someone here is "Where did you go to High School?" Having lived here for a while, I forget that the rest of the world doesn't open up with this question. Hell, I actually ask this, even though I didn't go to school here.

Mules

it’s not glamorous and shows the SM fender still on with dirt wheels. I’ll try to get some better pics whenever the snow melts. Truck does fine with the added weight hanging off the back.
Thanks for the picture. Now that is the perfect setup! Looks like the Gladiator handles the weight without much compression on the rear end.

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 5.29.42 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother