Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

I saw my first portable A/C while in camping in Badlands. Have any of you purchased or tried a 12 volt AC unit yet?

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 6.35.00 AM.png

Mules

During my trip, I ran into a gal camping with a 12v tent AC in the Badlands. This got me thinking about adding AC to my camper for the summer, but I already have AC in my truck. I haven't used the truck's AC for camping, because I assumed it would be terribly inefficient.

I Googled my efficiency question and it looks like my engine at idle will use about 1/3 gallon per hour. Looks pretty reasonable to me to run my truck in idle for AC in the camper. I still wouldn't run it all night, but just to cool it off in the evenings. The AC is pretty powerful and can cool off the camper in 10-15 minutes.

The back seat HVAC even blows directly into the camper.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7380 2.JPG

Spencer for Hire

During my trip, I ran into a gal camping with a 12v tent AC in the Badlands. This got me thinking about adding AC to my camper for the summer, but I already have AC in my truck. I haven't used the truck's AC for camping, because I assumed it would be terribly inefficient.

I Googled my efficiency question and it looks like my engine at idle will use about 1/3 gallon per hour. Looks pretty reasonable to me to run my truck in idle for AC in the camper. I still wouldn't run it all night, but just to cool it off in the evenings. The AC is pretty powerful and can cool off the camper in 10-15 minutes.

Ecoflow makes one too.

Florida Native

We did this a few times with our minivan camper… just ran the engine/AC for an hour or two before bedtime. Lots less expensive to do that than buy a 12V AC for the few nights a year it’s needed.

I recommend having a CO2 monitor in the interior if/when you do it.

-Mike

Mules

My cabinet door occasionally drops open or rattles while I'm driving. I didn't want any metal to catch my cushions when I lay the door down for a bed and I couldn't find a latch that I liked, so I made my own. I drilled a couple holes, used a "Bungee Ball" and a nut & bolt to make my own Bungee Latch. I bought the box of Bungee Balls at Walmart for $5.

I like it!

IMG_9194.JPGIMG_9190.JPGIMG_9193.JPG

Last edited:

Mules

I tried out a new electric pan/griddle for my Yellowstone trip. It's 600 watt/120volt, and worked out perfectly with my small power supply. My little 600 watt hr power supply was enough to keep my fridge running continuously and to make coffee & eggs on the griddle in the morning.

The electric griddle is red in the picture below. It was large enough for my coffee pot, and even had a lid for cooking.

IMG_8549.JPG

simple

Adventurer

The combination of the two might be the way to go. Run them both to cool things down and then shut off the vehicle AC.

Mules

Here's a interesting breakdown on the weight of my camper.

Final weight of my camper's bottom shell, top shell, tent, and upper bed is 210lbs.

Keep in mind this camper replaces the original hard top and back glass, so the net gain is only about 150 lbs. I believe net gain for the Alucab is 460lb.

Camper 150 lb
Interior Furniture 80 lb
Fridge 50lb
power supply 20 lb
Misc camping stuff 50 lb

Total about 350 lb

This is probably the lightest camper of it's kind.

Mules

My furniture layout is light and worked out pretty well on my recent camping trip. I'm thinking about some improvements though.

1) Build a permanent location for the fridge
2) Balance out the weight, as I currently have most of it on the driver's side
3) Add pull out drawers to make it easier to get stuff in/out of the camper

I keep going back to Troopy layouts like Drifta's below. I might have another winter project coming up, to build a new interior!

1000arms

Here's a interesting breakdown on the weight of my camper.

Final weight of my camper's bottom shell, top shell, tent, and upper bed is 210lbs.

Keep in mind this camper replaces the original hard top and back glass, so the net gain is only about 150 lbs. I believe net gain for the Alucab is 460lb.

Camper 150 lb
Interior Furniture 80 lb
Fridge 50lb
power supply 20 lb
Misc camping stuff 50 lb

Total about 350 lb

This is probably the lightest camper of it's kind.
:unsure: ... If only that Jon Boat was easily removed for use. ... :cool:

1000arms

Time for a modification!!

View attachment 792083
Interesting. :) ... But the paint job should really be rolled olive-drab, although I would settle for brushed. ... :cool:

If you will be making modifications, you might look at:

:unsure: ... Maybe you and @Teardropper can come up with a slide-in drop-top teardropper with pedal-power on the water? ... :)

Mules

While I think about upgrading my interior, and keeping it light, I keep looking at using foam boards. Here are a couple good sources for information, if you're considering building a foamy. The first video is on the best foam glue, which is difficult to find. The second is all about cheap foam building, which has a ton of information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues