Greenbow County JDM Expo Build

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Long time lurker and first time thread posting. In November of 2008 purchased a 2000 Toyota 4Runner from Tennessee (106k miles at the time) with the intent of building to Japanese (JDM) spec. For me the truck is more of a hobby; my man cave on wheels. I expect to have it completed soon and would say I'm about 90% of where I want to be. In case you're wondering what SURF or Hilux SURF refers to, it's the Japanese version of the Toyota 4Runner. It's also badged as such in New Zealand, Australia, Europe and much of the world. Cheers!

Most recent picture taken at Monument Valley May 2016
DSC_9078_zpskl0okzno.jpg

DSC_9069_zpsieysoudk.jpg

Build Theme: JDM Overlander
Build Motto: Stop at nothing!
諸君、大志をいだけ!

Current modifications:
Performance:
4.7 V8 VVT-I Motor
Cat Back exhaust
V8 4Runner air box
Safari Snorkel
B&M 70268 transmission cooler
Elocker retrofit with grey wire mod
231mm Tundra brake upgrade
Twin Turbo Supra radiator
4.30 Diffs

JDM:
SURF tire carrier
SURF visors
SURF sports grille
SURF rear mat
SURF driver assist mirror
SURF panel stickers
Folding mirror switch
Engel manufactured Toyota 15qt on board fridge
LED fender mount turn signals
Revier.jp mirror covers
Field Monitor Unit
SURF Aux cabin air filter
Wood grain paneling for doors

Protection:
Allpro Apex TACOMA bumper
Modified CBI rear hybrid bumper
4x Innovations DOM sliders with kickouts
Weathertechs up front
Budbuilt skid and belly pan

Suspension and lift setup:
Toytec Ultimate adjustable coilovers up front
OME 861 rear coils
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Toytec 2” body lift
Panhard drop bracket
Extended bumps

Wheel/Tire setup:
BFG KO2s 34/10.5/17
FN Wheels Matte Bronze Five Stars
Spider Trax 1.25” Wheel spacers

Lighting:
CCFL 35Watt 6k Kelvin head lights with O-rings
LED tail lights
JAOS H4 Challengers
Relocate front turns to sides (soon)
Morimoto accents
LEDs throughout cabin

Radio, Navigation and Coms:
Taco Whip Mod
More soon (HAM radio, updated double din unit and speakers)

Storage:
Whitson Metal Works roof rack with hi lift mount and Rotopax brackets

Recovery:
Come up Winch Seal Gen2 9.5 RSI
Hi-Lift kit
Amerex Fire extinguisher with mount

Miscellaneous:
Front Runner ladder
Sport hood
AVS deflector

Upcoming:
Some maintenance items
Communications upgrade

諸君、大志をいだけ!

Last edited:

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高

lugueto

Adventurer
I'm interested to know what a factory fridge looks like on a 4Runner, I've never seen them. Also I didn't know they were manufactured by Engel.

I've seen them on the 80 series. As a matter of fact there's an 80 in my family with one, but I've never seen them on 4Runners.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Please see attached.

It's a 15qt unit that cools, heats and freezes. Manufactured by Engel and badged Toyota for some years but from what i understand no longer made.

Attachments

• fridge.jpg
    fridge.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • fridge 3.jpg
    fridge 3.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,326
  • fridge 2.jpg
    fridge 2.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,328

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
I'm interested to know what a factory fridge looks like on a 4Runner, I've never seen them. Also I didn't know they were manufactured by Engel.

I've seen them on the 80 series. As a matter of fact there's an 80 in my family with one, but I've never seen them on 4Runners.

I know that some Land Cruisers have the refrigerated console between the driver and passenger seat so if that's what you mean then no the 4Runner didn't have one of these.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Awesome build! We need some more pictures of this thing.

DSC_8320.jpg

DSC_8319.jpg

Couple from some weeks ago when I was setting up my Toyota awning. About the only ones I was able to get before the weather turned. Will have more this time next week.

DSC_8290.jpg

Shot of the engine bay; currently have a single group 34 Odyssey with plans to go to a dual setup shortly as well.

Last edited:

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
On the road to Palo Duro

Purchased the BFG KO2s (34/10.5/17) and 17" bronze wheels recently and had them mounted at my local Discount Tire. Spending some time out in Palo Duro Canyon this June (shows, sights) so working to get the truck completed and prepped ahead of schedule. The BFGs were the right choice for my needs for occasional offroad travel, durability, quality and reputation (thank you Andrew St. Pierre). They are a D load range which I was also looking to get back to. All in all it's coming together but still more work to do: brake lines replace, front/rear bumpers, dual battery system, paint, etc.

DSC_8394_zps1ifkopn3.jpg

Know there are plenty of options out there but I simply love Bilstein shocks (see emblem lower left); living in Japan for some time I was amazed at the reputation the company had built for itself with the Subaru and Toyota communities. Entertaining plans for 7100s but my current 5100s and coilovers up front get the job done.

DSC_8405_zpslvenrvko.jpg

Will be replacing the Toyota awning with a walled unit; likely a Howling Moon Alu Awn ahead of travel. Will also replace the rear Land Cruiser coils with something more adept at load handling. In this picture I have my former tires and wheels in the truck, roughly 320lbs and got sag of about 2" compared to unloaded.

DSC_8398_zpsedjrgxdx.jpg

Rear bumper will be replaced with an aftermarket unit from CBI Offroad. I will also mount kickouts to it in order to maximize side protection and give additional lighting options. I have a Hilux rollbar which will serve as the basis for the kick outs. I will then mount two sets of lights to it, front and back, for camping purposes.

DSC_8390_zpsnfsiexfm.jpg
[/URL]
The SURF tire carrier provides ample rear view ability with the 34" KO2 spare and the added flexibility of secondary mounts. I've ordered FrontRunner's spare tire ladder system and grill which will be installed. While more could be kitted to it I will defer additional items: MaxTrax, Rotopax 4 gallon packs and HiLift to the roof rack in an effort to keep honest men even more honest:sombrero:.

Last edited:

vicali

Adventurer
That's a great looking surf, and seeing as I'm in BC Canada I see quite a lot of them (+15 import rules).
You should drive up and get some parts ;)

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Vicali thank you; I've only been to Toronto at this point but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Emerald Lake has tempted me for quite a while now but the logistics alone makes it feel like one of those cross-Africa expeditions. As far as SURF parts I've been fortunate to have gotten (direct from Japan) more or less what I was after but I do refer people from time to time to Kijiji as a great resource for JDM parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad