GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

Septu

Explorer
Greg, without the water tank loaded, how heavy do you think the trailer is? I ran mine over the scale while mostly loaded (no water), and was shocked to see it come in at ~1250 lbs. I figured it would be around 900 lbs.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Post pictures of your final wiring work.
I am at the point of doing mine.
Need some ideas.

Will do mark. Just getting it to the point where it is pic worthy in the tongue box again! lol. I had made my own fuse/power/ground box, and while happy with it, it had too many limitations. Popped for a 12 bay Blue Sea, very nice stuff. My switch box is almost done, but I f-ed up on drilling one hole, and so one switch is lower than the other 3. I am going to live with it...oh well.

Greg, without the water tank loaded, how heavy do you think the trailer is? I ran mine over the scale while mostly loaded (no water), and was shocked to see it come in at ~1250 lbs. I figured it would be around 900 lbs.

Good question? I know that they are rated at 700# in stock as-delivered weight, no spare etc. I imagine I have added...

RTT = 150#
Lid = 50#
Various hardware and fasteners = 30#
Tables = 10#
Battery/Tongue Box/Wiring/Lights = 50#
Extended tongue = 25#
Tank/Pump/HW Heater = 20#
Bins = 10#
10LB Propane and holder = 20#

So maybe 1120# dry?

Scary isn't it! My tank will be 13 gal plus provisions for 10 more of water or gas or mixed, so another 190 lbs on top of that! Man...need me some trailer brakes soon!

=(

VanIsle_Greg

Check out this video of my friend Mike's (Wavebreaker on ExPo) trailer in action. He loaned it out to Pat from Trail Skins (http://trailskinz.com/) for a few weeks and for some advertisement.

Rough vid, but you get a really good idea of how it works, looks and is made. Such a nice little POD.
Greg

VanIsle_Greg

Water tank collected this afternoon. Was too close to closing to grab the water lines and fittings, so that will have to wait until this weekend. Should have running water and a new electrical system in place by the end of the weekend!

:coffeedrink:

VanIsle_Greg

Wow, it has been a while since my last update... a lot of work done since then too.

I redid my electrical from top to bottom, not 100% happy with it still, but it is better and I am not out of circuits now. I also wired up all of my exterior lights and wow, great little lights, just what I wanted. They light up around the outside of the trailer but done make it so bright you cant leave them on all night to find your way around. Still lots of space in the tongue box for the Solar charge controller too. Going to decide on a panel and get that sorted soon too. New Blue Sea and a new custom switch box (which I bodged up one hole...ugh).

Here you can see the switch box, charger, USB charge port and the battery tester. This tongue box has worked out to be the perfect size for all of this stuff. I can store my HW heater in there, all the electrical as well as I still have one whole side open for misc stuff!

added a second external power source for some future lights, maybe some LED Christmas lights or a camp light? The top one (white) is for the tent mounted LED light bar, the bottom (black) is the second.

I also spent a bunch of time on the water system. I installed the pump, strainer, lines and tank. I then tested it all, and it is all working excellent. The L7 hot water heater is superb, cranks out the BTU and makes for some toasty dish water/shower water. I wired the pump to one of the switches in the switch box, and hooked it up with all 14G wire. The switch is rated for 20 Amps...works great.

Pump mounted to the inside of the tub for easy access to the strainer for cleaning and or repairs. Thought about mounting it on the other side, but could not justify why?? Works here just fine. The fill tube is temporary there, I picked up some aluminum to make a bracket to mount it and the vent just inside the lip of the rim for easy access. No need to hack a giant 1 1/2 hole in the tub for access that would ultimately be really awkward?

The tank is mounted with 2 galvanized straps with a rubber gasket to isolate the strap from the tank. I simply cut and notched for the corners some of the same rubber I used for the bed. I also placed a pad under the opposite end of the tank from the fill tube to make it higher than the outlet to force the water to the outlet fittings...need every drop! lol

Inlet

as for how the water gets to the L7, well...through this Sea Dog chromed brass fitting that's how.

I made up about a 2 1/2 foot hose to connect the water fitting to the L7, and it works great. The thru tub fitting leaked like a sive when I tested it, the factory threads were not sealed, so a few rounds of teflon tape and it was GTG. All in all I am happy with most of how this worked out. I have some clean up to do, and some tweaking, like smaller hose clamps and remove the loop in the outlet (zero pulse problems), but for the most part it is done. I also need to actually drill the holes in the tub floor for the stainless bolts to final mount the tank in place. I also need to build a small shelf to go over the tank so I can store stuff on top of it. I am not going to load my gear directly on it...would hate to mess up my new water solution!!

Next project...nothing, camping is next!! Maybe a photo shoot with it fully deployed, tent, kitchen and all soon! For now, I am off camping in the BIG trailer for 5 days...which we might be trading in on a 23' Aerolite with a rear slider...oh my!

Last edited:

hesterj

Adventurer
Lots of really nice work.

The skin over the tank is a good idea. Not only to protect but also will hide the lines.

Did you reuse the old project box for your switch's?

VanIsle_Greg

Nope, it is sitting on the shelf. It was ok, just a bit small as it was already full before the water pump circuit. Interested? For Sale cheaps!!

Old box.

:coffeedrink:

jah310

Adventurer
Greg, looks awesome man!

You mentioned the exterior lighting - can you share what exactly you used. Also, did you install a led light in your RTT and lid? I'm starting to think about how I want to have that setup... Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Flargen

Any chance you ever worked out the jerry can mounting issue? I've got a Slimline, and between your experiences and lots of talking with Mark, RotopaX is the only viable option for the swing-out.

jah310

Adventurer
Greg, disregard my question about the interior lights...found it on page 24 of your build. (not sure how I missed it the first time around). Thanks.

VanIsle_Greg

Lookin sweet!!

Thanks a lot Zuki!

Very nice work Greg.

Appreciate it Mark. Some if it turned out great, some needs a bit of tweaking. For the most part I am happy to get a few trips in as is and see what needs more...well more.

Any chance you ever worked out the jerry can mounting issue? I've got a Slimline, and between your experiences and lots of talking with Mark, Rotopax is the only viable option for the swing-out.

No... I am still trying to sort that out. I think I have given up on the swing out for the Gerry can. My setup (the Detours USA Tailbone) has the pivot set too far inboard for it to work well with the gas can. It works awesome for the Detours itself, but not for my needs. I agree, rotopax would be an answer, but I am 4 Scepter cans and a custom holder into this now, no turning back. lol It doesn't look like I will get it on the trailer easily either? TBD...stay tuned.

Greg, disregard my question about the interior lights...found it on page 24 of your build. (not sure how I missed it the first time around). Thanks.

Heh, no worries. The interior light/tent light is a nice unit. Princess Auto always seems to have them in stock too...a longer one as well IIRC? They seem to be of good quality and I love the integrated switch. I may add a second one under the lid so I can use both or one on either end? Maybe if I remember the next trip out to PA. lol

Good news, my 250# gas struts for the lid just showed up while I was camping. Just got back to a nice treat! Cant wait to get those installed...such a PITA now without them. Of course, I get them when all the work inside the tub is completed.

More work coming folks, and maybe a trip in the RED trailer this weekend!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk