GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
So... strut mounts showed up today, ordered 4 new ones all matching from LS Technologies in Winnipeg MB, excellent service and nice guys.

http://www.lstechnologies.ca/

I also did some fab work and installed the RMA'ed light from Superbrightleds.com. The fab work was all about the water system. I needed a mount for the water fill and the vent line... hatched me a plan.

Mike (Wavebreaker) had a nice piece of bent aluminum that he was not using, so I made up a bracket. 1 hour, an angle grinder, drill press and some hole saws, followed by a sanding block...boom.

Goes here...

Used 3 self tappers into the upper lip and 2 rivets into the tub side and it is strong and sturdy as heck.

mounted the filler tube cap and the vent with a temporary cap until I pick up a check valve.

Last thing I need to do, pick up some 1 1/2" inlet line, the current reducer is too long, not happy with this setup any more. While I was at it I removed the loop from the outlet side of the water line and added a few padded hose or line clips to the inside of the tub. There was no pulse at all, so the loop was redundant... I also attached the inlet line to the tub side to one of the tie down bolts, so no chafing and surprise leaks!! No pics of all of this, had to make supper for the kids.

I also mounted the last of the exterior lights to the tub, will go out and wire this up now. So close...so close.

:coffeedrink:

VanIsle_Greg

Oh and I am using my newly installed Guest 6 Amp charger too... will see how it works out, looks great!! lol Hope it works as good.

VanIsle_Greg

Ok, finally almost accomplished the final end last bits of phase 2, but of course there were some "challenges". I managed to get the water system and tank finally locked down and completed. Tank is now actually bolted to the floor and 100% ready to rock. I picked up a 90* right angle elbow for the inlet line and upped the inlet tubing to 1 1/2" from 1 1/4" to match the marine fill tube cap. Worked out better than I had hoped! Tank is secured with rubber isolators under the straps and a 12" wide strip under the non outlet end to force the water towards the pump pickup when parked level.

Rubber for the isolator strip is made out of the tub floor checker-plate stuff, had lots left over, worked great.

The lift struts, well there is another story. I picked up the lift struts and some brackets from Brettdez here on the forum, and had to order 2 more brackets. Those arrived Friday, so I got to work installing them today. I picked up some stainless screws and drilled and tapped the tub side rail for those brackets and picked up some screws for the lid side. I also used a bolt in the lid as well (belt and suspenders) as that is a lot of weight hanging off of 4 screws and some wood glue. Better safe than decapitated I always say.

Upper brackets in the lid...

Tub side mounting...

My daughter wanted to "help" so she got herself all decked out in her "worker" outfit with her "tools"...lol, such a poser too.

Here is where the fun stops. So yeah, everybody I have spoken to about this has stated "you should get 250# lift struts for your lid setup. I wondered if it was too much, but thought it should be ok right? Wrong. I cannot CLOSE THE LID with these struts installed. lol FAIL on my part. I can close it if I hang off of the handles, but it nearly breaks my nose when it opens! lol

150# struts will be on order on Monday. Sigh, oh well...I tried. If nothing else, I have all the brackets installed and it is ready to go! The good part, the placement of the brackets is spot on...so other than the rocket launching strut pressure, I am GTG!

For sale... 2 x 250# gas struts with 13mm ball ends and 2 mounting brackets. *sigh*

:oops:

VanIsle_Greg

Oh and one other thing. I went to turn on the in tub lighting to continue to work after it was getting dark, and my cut off switch has failed. Fudge Nuggets!! I have used this like 20 times, and it failed already... better now than out on the trails I guess? Still, PITA. I will be off to the shop tomorrow to pick up another one, as well as some other bits.

Stupid cheap switch anyways.

Hey Greg, how much does your lid weight? I'm tring to decide what type struts to get. Mine is about a half foot longer than yours and maybe a bit wider, but I know its has to be heavy compared to yours.

How much for the struts?

Thanks,

Robert Walker

VanIsle_Greg

Hey Robert. I think my lid weighs about 50# and the RTT is 125-150# IIRC? Call the whole thing 220# to be safe. Most steel lids are probably nearly double what my wood lid is, give or take. I will sell the gas struts for what I paid for them 2 weeks ago...lol. $60.00 plus shipping. Includes 1 flat bracket and 1 right angle bracket. You would need to source the additional brackets. These are going to be the most traveled set of gas struts EVER!

:cool:

I think mine is like 150 by its self. I dont have a tent yet so I'm tring to decide what struts to get. Plus I have a opening tailgate and I'm not sure yet how to mount the rear strut. Let me think about the struts for bit.

Thanks
Robert

VanIsle_Greg

I think mine is like 150 by its self. I dont have a tent yet so I'm tring to decide what struts to get. Plus I have a opening tailgate and I'm not sure yet how to mount the rear strut. Let me think about the struts for bit.

Thanks
Robert

Sounds good. Most people end up putting an upper cross brace across the tailgate or you end up distorting the unsupported corner of the tub. That was my original plan, but then I opted out of the rear gate. Let me know....putting them up locally on sale, but dont expect them top sell fast so no worries.

VanIsle_Greg

Looks great!

This coming weekend we'll be on your island playing tourist. Thanks again for the tips

Oh yeah right, I forgot about your trip. Great weather, but there is a burn ban right now, so no open campfires for the forseeable future. Do you have one of those portable propane fire rings?? If not, they are selling like hotcakes here, and there is a local place that stocks the Campfire in a Can (a whopping $299 CDN) or the one I bought, the Outland brand one for $129.00. Works awesome and as we like to call em here... a great Ban Buster! MSG me when you are here, maybe I will pop out for a hello and see that kool trailer of yours.

Better looking then Reba Mcentire during the early 90's.

Classic...lol

Oh and thanks both of you. It is getting super close to being trail ready 100%! Well at least as far as Phase 2 is concerned.

silvrzuki77

explorer
How do you like using the ecotemp as your all around water source for cleaning, showering, etc? I was thinking of running AT trailer, shower setup mount thing for general water use, and running a ecotemp for just showering seperately.

VanIsle_Greg

How do you like using the ecotemp as your all around water source for cleaning, showering, etc? I was thinking of running AT trailer, shower setup mount thing for general water use, and running a ecotemp for just showering seperately.

Hey there.
Good question? Sadly I have only just done some minor testing with my setup so far, but I think I would agree that a seperate tap for cold/hot would be nice from the shower? I will use it like this for now, and see how it goes. That L7 I have....man it cranks out the heat!! Almost too hot!

VanIsle_Greg

Oh and 1 small update. My 150# gas struts showed up today from LST in Winnipeg. Can't say enough about those guys, super nice to deal with. The weight is perfect, but I need to now adjust my hinges a touch to get the lid to close cleanly. Minor detail I will work on this weekend. Lid is a few mm to far to the hinge side and it is rubbing slightly.

I also picked up a new to me master power switch. Mike (wavebreaker) gave me a 200 AMP marine unit he had lying around and also hooked me up with a spare stainless valve for my tank vent. Nice!! A few things to work on this weekend!

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk