GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Fixed my master power switch...one post had come loose, not sure how I missed that in my troubleshooting? I like easy fixes.

BoarderMX

Observer
Hi Greg, so is your master power switch on the hot lead to your switches then? On click and they are all off? I am thinking of that so I can have the switch panel on the outside of the battery box but cut power to it from the master switch which would be locked inside. Great build, looking at "lifting" a few of your ideas, thanks for posting.

Oh and those license plate lights, how many do you have per side and is that enough?

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

Hi Greg, so is your master power switch on the hot lead to your switches then? On click and they are all off? I am thinking of that so I can have the switch panel on the outside of the battery box but cut power to it from the master switch which would be locked inside. Great build, looking at "lifting" a few of your ideas, thanks for posting.

Oh and those license plate lights, how many do you have per side and is that enough?

Yes, the master power switch is between the positive lead on the battery and the positive lead on the Blue Sea Fuse Box. It is nice to be able to kill all power and isolate the battery like that, much safer when bashing around the woods.

I think I might add a couple of more lights, one more on each side further forward. Currently I have one on the front of the tongue box, one on each side and 2 at the rear near the kitchen. I will see what it is like in the deep dark woods like it is now. Heading out camping on the 7th and 8th of Sept so I will have a chance to test all the on board systems. If it works ok as is I will leave it, if not order another 2...they were cheap and work great.

Oh and please do use all the ideas you see here. Feel free to ask questions too, happy to help/inspire/go measure etc.

VanIsle_Greg

Forgot to post a few pics from this weekend. I went to the Westshore 4x4 "Show and Grime" 4x4 event with the XJ and the trailer. I didn't grab any photos there...I should have, but popped a few pics at home after.

Freshly washed and waxed for the "show"...

Together for the first time in months...

I need to mod that front wheel on the trailer. It hangs way too low. Might go for a weld on with a removable leg similar to my side supports, but more likely I will mod this one to tuck up higher. If I drag the casting I am ok with that... it is like 3/4" thick cast iron that takes 40 minutes to drill through, it will survive! The wheel however, I might break that off if I drag it on the rocks?

More to come this week.

VanIsle_Greg

Thanks all.

Super stoked about getting out the weekend after next. It has been way too long...and will be its first trail this year! Sigh, better than nothing I guess. I will be hitting up some winter camping too, that will be interesting to say the least. Some plans for a few tweaks today/tomorrow after work. Then we will see after the trip.

:smiley_drive:

VanIsle_Greg

So I did a little work on the trailer yesterday to adjust the lid. When it was closed, it would rub a little on the non-hinged side. This only started when I put the lift struts on. I guess 300# of force pushing the lid towards the hinge side moved it over a little. I removed all the hinge to bracket bolts and slid the lid over towards the non-hinged side of the trailer to access the bracket bolts...removed those. Lots of messing around to do that by myself and not damaging the lid. I made slots in the brackets in place of my carefully drilled and accurate holes (sigh) so I could slide the brackets in towards the tub moving the lid a few MM towards the non-hinged side.

Put it all back together, tested it and it still rubbed ever so slightly. I got out the grinder with a flapp disk on it and buzzed down all of the welds around the upper rim of the tub. Re-painted it with bed liner and now no more rub. 3 hours...done.

A Sierra Nevada, some Taylor Fladgate Port and a Partagas Series P #2 to help me stay motivated. I also popped on a few stickers to give back a bit to the ExPo cause...

Now, a few people asked about the side lights. So I thought I would try to get a decent pic with them on at night. Unfortunately it started pouring, so I had to take them in the shed and not in the open where it would look a lot better. This is with only the 5 side and rear and tongue box lights on.

I had one from the front, but it turned out blurry (I blame the Port for that). One needed mod off the list! Next up, nose wheel mods!

VanIsle_Greg

Thanks for the pictures of the lights, that really helped!

No worries man. As I mentioned before I think I will order the 2 additional lights for the front sides... kind of a big dark spot there. I may even install them on the tongue box for ease of install and more light up front too! Makes any work at night on connecting the trailer etc so much easier!

Fixed my snapped bolt in the quick disconnect sway bar tonight. Also happened to have a grade 8 bolt handy the correct length and everything! WIN!

vonguido

Adventurer
Just read through the whole build man, amazing work! Can't wait till I have the money to build a trailer(gotta finish the XJ first). Hopefully by fall next year I will have started on one and will definitely be using this as inspiration.
Red = Winning!

VanIsle_Greg

Just read through the whole build man, amazing work! Can't wait till I have the money to build a trailer(gotta finish the XJ first). Hopefully by fall next year I will have started on one and will definitely be using this as inspiration.
Red = Winning!

Thanks man, glad you like it. So far it has been a lot of fun but a lot of work. Looking forward to getting it out more in the next few months and definitely next year!

VanIsle_Greg

Minor update.

Installed my voltage meter today. Took about 30 minutes, put it in the lid of the battery box. Probably no one has EVER modded a $15.00 battery box as much as I have...lol.

Works great, reading 12.6v and has been only been used on and off for light testing and pump testing.

Next up, that nose wheel mod I keep talking about. Man I HATE drilling cast iron/steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333