GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Trailerfest 2013

Hey all, just back from a couple of days out camping with the trailer. Mike Dan and I hit the trails and went out to the far end of Lake Cowichan to a little forestry camp site called Heather Campsite. Mike and Dan arrived earlier Friday, Dan around noon, Mike around 4. I had the kids until 4, and didn't get on the road until about 5:30 PM. I headed out of town after remembering to reconnect my sway bar end links and fussing about with loading and checking my list to make sure I didn't forget anything this time (I didn't).

Ready to roll... loaded with 23 Gal of water (13 gal on board and 2 x 5 Gal Scepter Cans full. Sits nice and level. I wanted to haul all the water I had because I wanted to see how it would tow, handle the rough roads fully loaded with food, supplies and water. For the record, it was in a word...perfect.

Rush hour on the "Colwood Crawl" sucked, but that is what you get for leaving at the worst time possible...ugh.

It takes about 2 hours to get out to the site from my house, give or take. I topped up the tank in Duncan and filled the 5 Gal gas can on the rear bumper just in case I needed it this time. I also had to stop at Canadian Tire to get a tire gauge as I forgot mine at home and wanted to air down for the washboard. I stopped to air down and saw that my removable mud flaps were hitting the rear leafs...not good. My rear leafs are SHOT. They have sagged so bad now, what was a 5" lift is more like 2. SO I had to remove those ASAP. After a delay to aid down and do some maintenance I was back on the road. It was getting dark at this point, so I got the opportunity to test out my lights in real world situation all at once. I had my roof lights on, bumper lights on and headlights of course. Worked best with the high beams off and all the other stuff off... scared a few bats along the way.

Arrived in the dark, set up the basics in the dark (Thanks Dan for the LED sunlight to get the job done) and chilled with a Cigar and some port. In the AM set up the rest of camp.

Mike and Dan also had pretty sweet setups.

Dan.

Mike.

After a quiet Saturday of pretty much just chillin out and relaxing, we hit the hay at around 12:30 AM. A great meal and a nice beer followed by a good sleep. Very warm, no wind and zero humidity in the AM...nice combo for September. Dan split about 10 AM, Mike and I split about 2 hours later. We decided to skip the highway and go the longer more scenic route along the Pacific Marine Rd from Mesache Lake to Port Renfrew. A LOT of logging in that area, but still very beautiful and worth the trip. Mike was behind me and coming around a bend I see him waving frantically out his window...that cant be good. Stopped and he pointed to the rear passenger side shock that had somehow ripped off the rear axle housing? Um... lame.

Minor carnage, and a reasonably easy fix too. I guess I will dig into that later today?

All in all it was a great weekend and the only thing was it was too short. Trailer worked awesome, kitchen setup was stellar, water system was superb and the tent was great! Cant say enough good things about the CVT Mt Hood I have. Easy setup, dry and comfortable and reasonably priced. I have plans for the awning I have now too, going to mount it on the rear of the trailer over the kitchen... but that is for another post.

List of things to fix/change/improve:

1. Water sprayer that comes with the Eccotemp L7...sucks. Leaks and drips all the time from the wand. Will be replaced.
2. Needs 2 more lights for the trailer perimeter. It is pretty good as is, and they basically draw nothing, so I was leaving them on all evening before bed.
3. Needs the awning moved to the trailer rear to cover the kitchen.
4. Needs a cold water only tap. I have a plan for this, stay tuned...
5. Battery in the Jeep is nearly toast. My Stiffening Cap for the audio system has a digital input voltage meter (handy) and it was reading 11.2 engine off...oh oh
6. Leafs NEED replacing before I do any more trips. 4.5" RC leafs to be ordered in the coming weeks, coils are in the garage waiting!

Thanks for reading!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The combo looks great! The kitchen set up with the drop in table and water heater works perfect.
Functions well with the trailer. Nice work my friend! Ps; That RED rocks!

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I want to see more Red, very depressed the tables and stove are not red. Okay, I am teasing, but you can never have too much red.

I love the truck, the trailer. I just needs a big Husker logo on it somewhere.

Really looks good all together, hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Can you post some pics of the ecotemp water connections? Planning on using one on my TD want to see if i can do some quick disconnects off the side of the camper.

VanIsle_Greg

Can you post some pics of the ecotemp water connections? Planning on using one on my TD want to see if i can do some quick disconnects off the side of the camper.

Hey Man, they are not very exciting, but I can snap a pic for you later. Basically the water-in fitting from the tank is a standard garden hose fitting. I made my own hose using brass garden hose fittings. You could easily use self closing quick couplers like the Gardenia stuff for instance (probably getting some myself). The water out is a smaller diameter hose, and I am currently using the supplied wand and hose from Eccotemp. The LPG in is a smaller sized fitting, but works with their supplied regulator and hose setup. I am sure with an adapter you could easily modify the fitting size.

I will pop a pic later tonight.

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
Greg,

Your trailer is awesome. Congratulations on such an awesome job and glad to see you enjoying it!

PS: I saw you on CVT's facebook! haha! Nice!

VanIsle_Greg

Greg,

Your trailer is awesome. Congratulations on such an awesome job and glad to see you enjoying it!

PS: I saw you on CVT's facebook! haha! Nice!

Heh... yeah I posted a pre-trip pic when it was all clean. I sent Bobby and CVT a link to some pics of our trip last year, he copied some from somewhere and they are stretched thumbnails and are all pixelated?

It was really nice to get out in the woods with the trailer. It worked awesome and the trailer with the exception of a few tweaks required is perfect. Love this setup, and love the fact that I can haul ***** down the FSR or take it through the twisty narrow tracks and it just happily follows along. Works fantastic!

VanIsle_Greg

quick Q....under the table in the picture here is a "storage unit" - any idea if this is the Camp Chef 4 bin unit? I am thinking of getting one - and wondering what it is like?

Hey man. No it was not the Camp Chef unit, can't remember the name...will ask Dan what it was? I don't think he is on here, or on here much at least??

BoarderMX

Observer
It may be a re-branded model but I just got the camp chef "sherpa" unit and it looks identical to that one down to the colors. I haven't gotten to use it yet but it seems well made and the bins of decent size. I fit a GSI large cooking set in one with a GSI kitchen kit and another took the GSI infinity tableware set along with a few other miscellaneous things. This left two bins for dry goods that don't need to go in the truck fridge. Would prolly be too large if I just had the Jeep, but the trailer adds additional capacity.

VanIsle_Greg

Yeah that looks like it. I never did see the inside, so I cannot comment on the bins...but it looked a lot like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues