GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

Greg, in another post you said that you use the manual parking brake a lot. If you swap to an electric unit will you still have a manual brake? I'm interested to see what you come up with.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Greg, in another post you said that you use the manual parking brake a lot. If you swap to an electric unit will you still have a manual brake? I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Hey there. Yeah I do use it a lot. Basically whenever it is not actively being towed behind the Jeep, it is applied. I use it when camped as well, but I also use the rear and front legs to lift is so the tires are barely touching the ground and it is solid as a rock for sleeping.

There are a number of manufacturers that make the backing plates with the parking brake option included. A lot of enclosed utility trailers have parking brakes, so they are pretty common and only marginally more expensive than the standard backing plates. I measured the bolt spacing on my current axle and backing plates and it is standard (for the life of me I cant remember the measurement right now)...so it is easy to retrofit. When I got the trailer I swapped the drums for a set with the same 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern as my XJ. One spare to rule them all!!

Once I finally order the backing plate kits I will post up the part numbers and install process. I might have to fiddle with the adjustments for the parking brake, but that is pretty easy.
Greg

VanIsle_Greg

Great work! Like someone said, you can't have too much red.

Thanks man! Much appreciated. I do indeed have a lot of red, but I like it. I had never wanted a red vehicle, and now I would totally own another one. I have a lot of little projects to do this winter/next spring... hopefully I get the time to get them done and get a bunch of trips in next year. Trying to plan a trip to Overland Expo, but the logistics are a challenge with 2 young kids and a wife that works as well.

Cheers'

VanIsle_Greg

what a great build ,love it ..only one thing i would have done different would be flip the axle for more ground clearance

Thanks man. I thought about a spring over conversion, but to be honest, I haven't needed it yet, and it is already a little top heavy with 150# of RTT up there. I air down the tires to about 15-18 PSI which helps and the shocks are new so it seems to control the sway pretty well. I am waiting for the last few pieces of kit to show up to re-lift my sagged out XJ, and will be sitting at around 5" of lift. I may need to do a spring over at some point!

VanIsle_Greg

Wow... it has been a while since I added anything to this thread. Probably because I have basically done sweet piss all to it since pretty much winterizing it in October. lol I did pick up a new to me Camping Labs 8' awning that will get mounted to the trailer to go over the kitchen. That should be happening in the next few weeks once I pick it up from the guy in Vancouver. I will also be doing a little more electrical work by adding a couple more lights and a couple of USB chargers in the tent. Got to keep the Phone/Tablet/GPS stuff charged up!

Oh and I also grabbed a 40 Watt solar panel up as well...this should help keep things powered up when out in the woods. I will probably grab a second one when they are on sale again...

I finished the lift on the Cherokee too, MAN it looks good now. Sitting around 6" of lift now, more than expected, but it rides great. Still getting used to the lighter spring rate on the RE coils, and need to work on my shackle angle as they are sitting near to vertical still. lol I see shackle relocation boxes in my near future.

Worst pics ever... guy at the shop sent them to me. I haven't taken pics of it out yet, hard to when you are driving it!! lol

Looking for a new to me RTT for the Jeep too. 2 kids and the wife and I will NOT fit in the Mt Hood. So yeah... man I need another job!!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Cherokee looks awesome! Did you have to do anything to the hitch to keep the trailer level?
Ps: Love the RED!

silvrzuki77

explorer
Looks good! My old cherokee had the long arm kit and dana 44 front and rear. Great truck except for the constant AC leaks from who knows where.

ZeMax

Observer
Hi Greg I'm debating getting a Dee Zee box for my build as all the nice metal ones weights 50 pounds.

I read there is a lot of issues with water getting in while being used in bad weather. Did you modify yours ?

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
That sucker is looking good man. Any way you could get some more red on it?

I had wondered what happened on the trailer, but forgot you live in the land of snow snakes.

Anxious to see the development and the awning in action.

Septu

Explorer
Wow... it has been a while since I added anything to this thread. Probably because I have basically done sweet piss all to it since pretty much winterizing it in October. lol I did pick up a new to me Camping Labs 8' awning that will get mounted to the trailer to go over the kitchen. That should be happening in the next few weeks once I pick it up from the guy in Vancouver.

How do you plan on mounting the awning? At 8' I'm assuming off the side... but isn't your kitchen off the back of the trailer?

I'm copying what my buddy Sam (Rubicon Fan) did with his - hopefully as early as next month.

8dac64a5.jpg

ad4af24f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater