GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Not much new on the Offroad trailer front here. Sadly too as I am only a few weeks away from a long road trip with it and I have lots of little things to do still. We did however sell our Coachman Clipper tent trailer and picked up an Outdoors RV Black Rock 17B 23' Travel Trailer.

Still have yet to get it out. Man, life gets so busy it is hard to find time to do much these days. lol

VanIsle_Greg

You bet. 23 feet is a decent size and it is light too. The 5.7L Hemi V8 in the Jeep WK seems to haul it well, and the Prodigy P3 brake controller is awesome.

So looking forward to using this.

VanIsle_Greg

Started a few small projects in preparation for the NWOR trip this month.

Picked up some kitchen stuff. I used to just use all the stuff from our old travel trailer when we still had it stored here at home. Now that the new one is at a storage lot, I have had to make up a kit for the CDN M101. Picked up a nice set of MSI stacking pots and pans, cooking utensils, a used kettle and cutlery (Ikea stuff) and of course a can opener.

I am also making dividers for the Plano storage bins I have in the trailer for all my stuff. Ok, I made up the template and Mike (Wavebreaker) is making the dividers. This will help a lot with storage management!

I am also going to go and do some additional wiring on the trailer today. Adding a few exterior lights and a charge line so I am charging when I am towing. I meant to do this last year, but never got around to it.

I am also doing some work on the XJ to get it ready. It is my second vehicle and it sits more than it gets used these days. In the last year I have only put 2500 KM on it...wow. Did the front brakes last Friday (my birthday gift to myself and onmy BDay day off). I gave everything a good bath with Simple Green and scrubbed it all down before putting the nice new rotors and pads on.

Old pads were low, but the rotors are still well within spec and in good shape. Might give them to someone as a "pay it forward" thing.

Next up, replace mechanical fan as the clutch seems to be not working so hot (pun intended). Got a freebie from Mike off a jeep he parted out, might go install that today?

More soon.

VanIsle_Greg

Added some LED under-trailer lights yesterday, they are awesome and only $4.99 each too (love Princess Auto). I then sorted out some cheesy wiring I had done in the tent for the light, and got that working. I then set out to add a charge lead from the Jeep (tow vehicle charging while underway) and ran into an issue. The junction box on the trailer literally fell apart on me?

New one is going in tonight.

Next up, trailer running lights, or side marker lights and then I am 100% done the lights. I am also going to get my solar panel rigged up with the temporary charge controller. I "forgot" to order the MPPT controller, so I will not have it in time. Oh well, no biggee...Coleman one will do for now.

Axle lube job this week, as well as a tweak to the tongue wheel bracket (too long by 1/2 inch) and then I am done.

Ha ha ha.... done. Right.

:coffeedrink:

VanIsle_Greg

i am following this thread

Stalker...lol.

:coffeedrink:

I have done a ton of work to this in the past few weeks. I have been cleaning up some tasks and small wiring projects as well as getting it ready to go for Northwest Overland Rally (getting close).

So far I have wired up a charge circuit so I can charge the battery while driving, wired up a set of LED running and marker lights, wired in a license plate light and cleaned up some miscellaneous looms etc.

Also had to wire in a new 7 pin junction box as my first one cracked when I tried to remove it. Ugh, PITA job.

I also wired up a set of 4 single LED under-trailer lights. These use very little power and can be left on all evening at camp.

I have also picked up a new potable water only hose and tested out the bug room for my CVT awning for the Jeep. On the Jeep side, I replaced the steering box today, it was a sloppy leaky mess and needed to be done about a year and a half ago. lol I only drive this periodically now so it was not that bog of a deal. Just needs an alignment and a couple of TRE's and I am GTG!

Good times!

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

Trailer was awesome this past weekend at NWOR in Plain WA. I had a great trip with my dad, and the trailer and tent worked superb.

Only issue was the lid was sticky to open and close (maybe the heat?) and I lost the washer for my on demand HW wand, so I had to borrow one. DOH!

Good HOT times indeed.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Trailer was awesome this past weekend at NWOR in Plain WA. I had a great trip with my dad, and the trailer and tent worked superb.

About as handsome a rig as was in attendance. The setup looked fantastic. You just get it back from the detailer? ;)

VanIsle_Greg

About as handsome a rig as was in attendance. The setup looked fantastic. You just get it back from the detailer? ;)

Heh. It is pretty shiny isn't it. I did wax it this summer, so about a month ago. Other than that it gets washed every 2 or 3 months and that is about it.

How long is the trailer from the ball

Good question? I will measure it and get back to you on that one. XJ and trailer together was 26'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues