Haggis' Multi-Use Tundra Build

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Teardrops...

Another advantage to the td is the stealth ability. I would love to be able to pull over and slide into bed.

My trailer is the opposite of stealth. Just saying....

About cooking inside, I agree it's not a every night deal, but when it's pouring and you have driven all day to get somewhere, it would be nice!

motochain

Wanderer
RTT for me.

Currently running a Camping Lab RTT on the '00 Tundra AC with a Thule rack. I recently picked up an '05 DC Tundra and I'll be using the same setup. Interested to see which route you go with the DC! Nice looking truck!

I love the RTT, and the Thule rack it's sitting on is height adjustable. Drop it down to travel (less wind drag), raise it up for the views. LOL

ry%3D400

With the right rack I was still able to haul our 14' kayaks and the RTT.

ry%3D400

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
RTT in bed

Motochain,

Nice rig... love the blacked out grill and the stance!

We have done multiday trips and played all day away from camp... it would get tiresome breaking down and setting up the RTT each day from a base camp. One couple from VA joined us with a RTT in the bed and it looked like a pain to run down to the creek for the morning, etc.

That is my biggest complaint with my trailer, on days we are setting up at a new camp each day, it's a pain (set up is fast) to break down each morning....

In fact my last two trips this summer, I just slept in the topper like the old days. Once as a solo trip and once with my daughter.

motochain

Wanderer
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I guess it just depends what your camping style is like. For my lady and myself (and two dogs), the RTT seems to work out great. We like to keep everything simple so take down and setup isn't a big deal. The setup of the actual tent takes less than 5 minutes, the fold up process maybe 10 minutes.

My main reasons for going RTT where:

1.) I didn't want to pull a camp trailer everywhere (a camp trailer is more maintenance and wouldn't like to go where I go)
2.) I wanted easier access to the bed of my truck from the sides and I often carry items taller than a camper shell would allow (motorcycles, etc.)
3.) Cost of other options
4.) I like to pretend I'm in a tree fort. LOL.

There are definitely times I would like to stop for the night and just crawl straight into bed, but I've gotten used to my setup and it's quick and easy.

If money weren't an option, I may have gone a different route.:drool:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That's a great lookin' Tundybird Motochain.

We are considering an RTT. Our thoughts on one is that we could use it mounted on the lower rack of the truck for boondocking trips deep in the woods or on trips where we are travelling to a new location each day. Than on trips where we are base camping we could mount the RTT on an off road trailer for a more permament footprint. Yeah, it would mean moving the RTT around but the thing couldn't live on the truck anyway. Might as well store it on a trailer than hanging it in the garage. This would allow us some flexibility with having both options and I wouldn't have to tow unless I wanted too.

But for now I think I'm going to rework my sleeping platform, buy a shorter watertank and just use my existing topper just for now until Michelle gets out of school. We won't be out much over the next year so we've got plenty of time to figure our new set-up out.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

Our thoughts on one is that we could use it mounted on the lower rack of the truck for boondocking trips deep in the woods or on trips where we are travelling to a new location each day. Than on trips where we are base camping we could mount the RTT on an off road trailer for a more permament footprint.

Now that sounds like a good option! With the same or similar mounting on the both the trailer and the truck it would be almost breezy to switch it over. Store it on the trailer and it will always be ready for those weeklong basecamping trips.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Now that sounds like a good option! With the same or similar mounting on the both the trailer and the truck it would be almost breezy to switch it over. Store it on the trailer and it will always be ready for those weeklong basecamping trips.

Yep, that's our thinkin'.

motochain

Wanderer
Yes! Mounting to a nice lightweight expo style trailer would be an ideal setup! A friend of mine just picked up an amazing military style trailer for about $350 from a site called govliquidators.com. However his trailer was running 37" tires stock, and I'm not sure it was the lightest option. LOL. I may have to look closer into a trailer though.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Things I have been pondering...

I found myself pondering my truck today. Visualizing what I wanted it to be, what I wanted it to be capable of, and what I realistically was ever going to do with it. The second and last ponderings were the easiest to contemplate as I know that this truck fulfills all the realistic tasks I ask of it just as it sits now in a totally capable manner. I really don't need to do anything more to it other than some fiddling...maybe some better skidplates, or some sliders...but even without those Fafhrd fulfills all it's duties with flying colors. It hauls all my work gear with ease and returns good mileage, it tows like a heavy duty, I can drive it anywhere worry free from a quick jaunt into town or clear across the country without a moments hesitation, I don't need to add power as it's got ponies to spare, nor does it need any more clearance for the terrain I run it across here in the East the suspension set up is just fine. Anything I do to it now would be just laying to much icing on a cake and that can get messy.

But the first pondering still has me thinking that I'm missing something. There's something I want from travelling in this truck that's lacking but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's not necessarily from the truck but the way I'm approaching and/or using it for backwoods wandering. I think I lack versatility and organization. I think I need a set-up that is modular and organized and not just random bits thrown in the bed of the truck. Some way of getting out there in a more streamlined fashion. But than again the solution can't monopolize the truck as it's "overlanding" duties are just a small fraction of its purpose. For awhile our E-1 trailer was the solution but it became increasingly less so over the past year. So it's gone now and I don't think any of us really even miss it.

But I've come up with an idea...maybe a little hair-brained...maybe with a little too much ridgerunner flavor...maybe not too well conceptualized...but I do my best work thinking on the fly. So over the next few weeks I'm gonna let my imagination fly, use my innate talent for making chicken soup out of chicken poop, throw some sawdust and sparks around and see what transmogrifies from the chaos. If it all comes together I share it here, if not..well...we'll just forget that I even posted anything in this dialogue box. It will be our little secret. But it will all start with a trip down south to Virginny next week...

jim65wagon

Being slightly in the know and in Virginny, I am sworn to secrecy. I keep my swears true to heart, but I am really curious to see how this all turns out in the end! Till next week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater