Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
All Better!

100_2535-1.jpg

100_2536.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Secondary Rack...Version 2.0

Well if you recall I fabbed up a secondary rack for Fafhrd utilizing stuff laying around my garage including some old Yakima towers and bars. It ended up looking like this...

4572633927_ea435607c6_o.jpg

I mounted up a used ATV ramp I bought cheap and had a pretty good rack for just a few twenty dollar bills. It's worked great but with the large span the round Yakima bars would flex some under loads when combined with rough driving conditions. While the flex was minimal and was never a problem I kept thinking of how to improve the set-up.

Then I got this rack for my Jeep from RockyRidge products and really loved the slotted, extruded rails that make the spreader bars of the rack. They are light but really strong and the slotted rails make mounting stuff easy. I determined they'd work great as cross rails for my low-rise rack. Here's the Jeep's rack....

5103109795_0636e0195e.jpg

I hope Fafhrd doesn't mind the Mouser horning in here.

I gave David over at RockyRidge a call and he set me up with a pair of rails to play around with....So here's the new and improved Secondary Rack...

100_2565.jpg

Then I aligned the ATV ramp where I wanted it, drilled a few holes and using some capture nuts and stainless round button headed Allen bolts mounted that sucker to the rails. No Clamps, no dangling thread ends, just a solid mounted storage surface...

100_2568.jpg

100_2569.jpg

This is a way stronger set-up. With me and my wife standing on the rack there was no flex at all. I need to make up some 1/4" spacers, but for now I'm just stacking washers between the Yakima risers and the RockyRidge rails as the Yakima bolt is too long to not use spacers and is not really removable. I'll pick up some aluminum stock when I get a chance and fab a couple up. It would be a great rack for an RTT if one was interested in going that way...Now I need to make a headboard to protect the rear window. I'm thinking a nice piece of larch with some decorative cuts and routing and a couple of good coats of Spar Guard.

D

Deleted member 9101

Love the rack man, I have been thinking of doing the exact same thing to mine... the only problem is I woudl have to go out and buy more crap to justify building it...lol

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Here's the racks all loaded up for last weekends float trip. Worked awesome!

100_2574.jpg

100_2573.jpg

Boats on top: Paddling gear on lower rack; camping gear in the bed, fridge in the back seat storage shelf.

Last edited:

Doncolberto530

This thread is killing me. I had a 2000 Tundra with a little bit of a lift and aggressive tires for a while and loved everything about it except the silly doors in the back. I have been wanting to get another truck for a while now and have flopped back and forth between anything from a full size diesel to a Tacoma. For now I have a 88 4Runner but am going to need a truck soon for work. This thread has me right back looking at the Tundras. This time I am going four door.... Anyways, I thought you might get a kick out of my Tundra Camping Set up. I just love the styling of these trucks.

l.jpg

The other truck in the pic is my Grandfathers old 1983 Ford F150 with a Four Wheel pop up camper that is now shared between my dad, brother and I.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I dream of this truck set up, the jeep and the tundra, pure happiness.

Yep, both the rigs make me happy, though there are times I wish I could splice the two together and make one do-it-all rig. Having only one rig to outfit and then register and insure would be easier on the wallet. Oh, and then theres this sitting in the garage...

Topbmp.jpg

...thus completing the money draining trifecta. :smiley_drive:

hikingff77

Adventurer
That's nice but it doesn't do much for me, looks nice though. I'm a Jeep guy through and through, I dream of top and doors of driving through the PA wilds.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Update? Well not so much.

In response to a question as to what's new with Fafhrd...not much. It's been work, work and more work, for both me and the truck. Fafhrd isn't getting to spend to much time in it's expedition costume. I did change out all the fluids, did some preventive maintenance, and finally got around to giving the old boy a good coat of wax. It was way overdue.

100_2685.jpg

The only trip we have done so far was a couple day trip to the Gettysburg's battlefield. It was awesome! We wandered the battlefield with a field journal of the flow of the battle and another explaining the history of the monuments. They gave us a great sense of how the fighting progressed and what the men from both sides faced. It's amazing the lack of people once you get off the Auto Trail and do some exploring on foot. We spent a couple hours on top of of Big Round Top and never saw a soul, and this was on a Sunday in July. Here's a few pics....

The family at the Visitor Center

100_2697.jpg

Cam and Abe checking out the honeys while chillin' out

100_2696.jpg

Fafhrd comes under the gun

100_2719.jpg

Looking over General Meade's shoulder from the ridge of Little Round Top

100_2801.jpg

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
New Treads

After 49,000 miles of exploring, working and doing those daily living things the Dean Mud Terrian SXTs have been set aside for spare tire duty. What replaced them is a set of Cooper ST Maxxs still in 285/75/16 size....

100_3027.jpg

These are some heavy tires, around 60 lbs unmounted, but they are also some luggy ATs with alot of tread meat available. I like the full depth siping, the stonekickers, the stepped lugs and the agressive sidebiters. In a few weeks we'll see how they handle the snow. Hopefully they're better than the Deans which were good in the white stuff, but fell short of the preformance of the ******** cepek FC IIs I use to run. Why these tires? It all came down to price on return. I know I can get great tread life from Copper brand tires where other brands struggle to get past the 35,000 mile mark. These were $210 mounted, balance, on the truck and out the lot per tire, which is fairly good in todays tire market. How many of you a short few years ago would think that $200 bucks a pop per tire was a decent deal? Anyway here they mounted up on Fafhrd...

100_3028.jpg

100_3029.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater