Haggis' Multi-Use Tundra Build

BigAl

Expedition Leader
My only hang up is the height of the platform. It's nice in that it swallows all the gear but the sleeping stuff but with a standard cap we only have 25" of space to move about in. Choices are to keep it the way it is, buy a smaller height water tank and lower the height of the platform, or purchase a slightly higher contractor styled cap to raise up the interior height. No decision yet, so the platform stays like it is until I make my mind. I'll leave the project unfinished until that time.

Very cool project, I really like the design, especially for a pickup. I'm stuggling withthe height of the platform for my van too. I'd like to slide action packers under it, but do not want to give up that much headroom. I really want a real mattress...

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Very cool project, I really like the design, especially for a pickup. I'm struggling with the height of the platform for my van too. I'd like to slide action packers under it, but do not want to give up that much headroom. I really want a real mattress...

With the sleep platform in the Mouser (my Jeep LJ for those just tuning in) I believe all it took was 12.5" of height under the deck to clear the action packers. I'd think you'd have plenty of head room in the van even with a thick mattress. You know if you built a similar bench style platform you could have seating room in the Al-Tro Van. Just make three mattress pads, one for each bench and another for the center section, like the extra sleeping platform in our pop-up utilizing the table and bench seats. Heck pick up one of those tables and you'd have a place to eat in the rain.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Haggis' big time winter Mod for the Tundra!

The ultimate winter Mod just for Tundras....

today177.jpg

What? Temps have been sub-zero to teens everyday for the last two months...I ain't working on nothing that absolutely doesn't need to be done.

Thanks to my buddy Matt (12husky) for the Tundra swag, 'cause there sure ain't much out there for our Tundrabirds.

Last edited:

12husky

Adventurer

What? Temps have been sub-zero to teens everyday for the last two months...I ain't working on nothing that absolutely doesn't need to be done.

Thanks to my buddy Matt (slowmatt) for the Tundra swag, 'cause there sure ain't much out there for our Tundrabirds.

I have been called a lot of things, but never slowmatt! :smiley_drive:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I have been called a lot of things, but never slowmatt! :smiley_drive:

Good Gravy! I think I'm getting senile (or even more so than normal). I was just digging around in an older thread and slowmatt's tag must of got stuck in my head. I'm so sorry Matt. Feel free to give me one (but only one) kick in the ******** whence next we meet. :drool: Carry on good sir! :elkgrin:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
today177.jpg

That's very nice but I don't understand how a pair of gloves secured to the grille will help the Tundra run better or enhace the appearance.

You Tundrabirds are a very ecclectic lot... ;)

I'm beginning to question Smarmish leadership. :coffeedrink:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That's very nice but I don't understand how a pair of gloves secured to the grille will help the Tundra run better or enhace the appearance.

You Tundrabirds are a very ecclectic lot... ;)

I'm beginning to question Smarmish leadership. :coffeedrink:

Ummm...where else would you put gloves on a Tundra but in front of the grill and radiator. It helps the heat build on faster on frigid days. Duhhh. What? I suppose you'd wear them on your hands. :sombrero:

12husky

Adventurer
Good Gravy! I think I'm getting senile (or even more so than normal). I was just digging around in an older thread and slowmatt's tag must of got stuck in my head. I'm so sorry Matt. Feel free to give me one (but only one) kick in the ******** whence next we meet. :drool: Carry on good sir! :elkgrin:

No worries, a nice meal of liver and onions after a long day of kayaking would make up for it:sombrero:

jim65wagon

I bet they'd fit nicely and look as cool on my grill too.....if we ever got the sub-zero conditions to require them!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
We got a heavy, wet snow Friday morning. One of those snows that are so laden with water that when you make a snowball it weighs a pound. My wife usually takes the LJ on those mornings but I told her to take the truck as I was going to change oil in the Jeep. My wife leaves for work early and PennDot hadn't bothered to plow the eight or so inches of sloppy, icy mess off our backwoods roads. Temps were right at freezing so between the slush and the temps road conditions couldn't hardly have been worse for driving other than a full out ice storm. So when the tail of the truck kicked out she got it straightened back out only to have it kick out again a couple of hundred yards down the road. Wham, into a sign post. Just cosmetic damage and Michelle was fine other than being ticked off at events. I think she was mostly worried how I would take it, but as she's probably a better winter driver than 80% of the Portal members, I knew it was just one of those things that happen. When you've been driving in a area that has snow for 5 months out of the year for as long as she has, winter was bound to get her sooner or later. Nothing some paint and some parts can't fix, though the inconvenience of having my truck down for a couple of days as my work season is just ramping up will be annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach