Haggis' Multi-Use Tundra Build

thecriscokid

Explorer
Sounds like a solid set up! I have some +500lb 8pack Alcan's right now and want to put in some Timbrens before my next trip. The ride that I get loaded is really nice until I get a little too throttle happy and bottom out the rear (happened a few times when I got the IVD coilover installed:sombrero:) I only got about 1" lift, but it stays right there when loaded. I feel like I could go a bit stouter(like your 11 pack) but then again I'm already sitting right around GVW.
What are your thoughts on beefing up the frame back there?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
What are your thoughts on beefing up the frame back there?

I don't think it will be necessary as when there is a heavy load on it it is only over the road and there's not much flexing going on with the frame. But we'll "Run it and Watch it" and see what happens.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
While I was driving home from the work site one day I passed through a bunch of community yard sales and lo and behold I spotted a tri-fold aluminum ATV ramp leaning up against a tree at one sale. Sweet! A few minutes later and $40 less in my pocket I had the base for my secondary rack. A few clamps and a couple of braces for the Hi-Lift and we gave it a go last weekend over in Bald Eagle Forest.

Unloaded…

4730183540_b529d54bbc_b.jpg

Loaded up…

4730183546_0febb91944_b.jpg

This set-up worked great. It’s light weight and easy to load up. Bouncing along the driveable trails of Bald Eagle it was stable and quiet. I’ll pick up some Quickfist clamps for the shovel and axe, and get a mount set up for a flat 5 gal gas container (probably a rotopak unit).

12husky

Adventurer
Looks great Mark! I really like the idea of the ATV rack. I may have to steal that for the base of my roof rack.

I am hoping to make it up to Bald Eagle at some point this summer. I had a blast up at ANF with you guys; are you still planning on going to Carlisle?

~Matt

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Looks great Mark! I really like the idea of the ATV rack. I may have to steal that for the base of my roof rack.

I am hoping to make it up to Bald Eagle at some point this summer. I had a blast up at ANF with you guys; are you still planning on going to Carlisle?

~Matt

Thanks Matt! I'm a frugal feller for sure and I just can't justify spending a couple hundred of bucks for a fancy pants rack that will just hang on the wall of the garage the majority of the time. I'd rather spend the money on a winch or for travelling expensives on our next trip. Plus I like things that have multiple uses and I can load up the ATV into the truck or trailer with it when the rack is not being used as a rack.

I'm not sure about Carlisle yet, to many things up in the air right now. I'll know better in couple of weeks. That being said I do want to meet up with you and yours sometime while the weathers good. I'm hoping someone in the ExPo East or PA Ridgerunner families takes the lead and sets up an ExPo event this summer. I'm not sure if I can spare the time to take the lead on one this year.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Some shots of Fafhrd's travels this summer...

4724310064_f50da0beaa_b.jpg
4738428562_f927fb4378_b.jpg

4738428566_1bbbf73697_b.jpg

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Anybody want to buy some used Tundra springs?

Finally got the time to swap the factory springs with AALs for the new Deaver 11 spring pack units. Last time James and I messed with this truck's suspension it was practically new (22,000 miles) and adding the AALs was easy-peasey. Throw in even one PA salt encrusted winter, numerous mud slogged excursions and 30,000 more miles and it becomes a little more work. Thank the gearhead gods for PB Blaster and air tools cause those nuts were abit stubborn. Once everything was broke lose the swap was pretty easy. Here's a shot of the springs installed along with the new Timbren units…

4813208643_a4e88090d3_b.jpg

With wheels mounted back up and the truck back on the ground the difference was very noticeable. Before the Deavers I measured the height from the garage floor to the bottom of the center part of the rear flare at 37 7/8”. After the swap the measurement was now at 40 3/8”, so a gain of 2.5”. Here's a couple of comparison pics.

Before…

4813208647_a083e375f1_b.jpg

After…

4813208651_66b8a634f3_b.jpg

There is a definite difference ... No more stink bug and now a nice gentle rake in its place.

Impression so far…The ride is of course a little stiffer though the truth be told is way preferable. The Tundra now feels more like a truck and less like a suburban commuter. The ride is still great and it handles the twisting goat paths that pass as roads around here with more vigor and aplomb than before. Michelle stated she like the way the truck handles now much better than the stock setup. I hooked up my equipment trailer as it was sitting fully loaded (I just finished up a log home job) to see how Fafhrd handled it and there was a night and day difference from last Saturday when I hauled the trailer home and yesterday with the Deavers installed. The last time the poor Tundra was dragging it's rear and now it was hardly settling . I'm very happy with this set up as the weak factory springs were my biggest complaint with this truck. Now it's a Tundra Heavy Duty model, something Toyota should have offered from the factory.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

That looks better! Now you've got me thinking.......darn you! Stop modifying your truck with cool stuff! You're a bad influence!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That looks better! Now you've got me thinking.......darn you! Stop modifying your truck with cool stuff! You're a bad influence!
You're one to talk, it's your truck that got me going down this path and now I'm not sure which to tackle next..winch, skid plates or sliders. :drool:
I bet they ride well! I'd love to do the Pepsi challange between my Alcans and your Deavers(sans blindfold of coarse)
My wife would kick my butt if I splashed good pop all over the interior of the truck. I'm really thought the Deavers would have a harsher ride than they do. I'm really curious as to how they're going to react with the trailer and truck fully kitted out. I'll find that out next Monday as we are heading out to West Virginia.

Very nice Mark!
Thanks Jay. Hope you'll get to see it in person before the years up. We just can't seem to get our schedules synced up this year at all.

exploreFL

Observer
Your truck is definitely an inspiration for the look I am going to be going for with my truck! I do have a quick question as to what bed cover you are using? It looks like a Bbak cover, but not sure. Thanks.

Anthony

jim65wagon

..winch, skid plates or sliders. :drool:.

skid plates....things go bump under the truck all the time....sensitive items might get bruised....mine have already come in handy cruising down a two track; found a nicely hidden rock in the grass....BANG! Horrible sound, scratched my shiny new trans skid, nothing worse for all the noise....yep, I'd do skid plates if I were you....:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk