Haggis' Multi-Use Tundra Build

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Aluminum Ramps for loading 4-wheelers or motorcycles into a P/U bed? Sand ladders? Plastic extruded decking/matting used in farm applications?

pyrate

Rollin' along
Just found this thread. The name says it all "Multi-Use". I think that is always the biggest challenge, to be able to set things up for the fun stuff but still be able to use it to pay the bills. Love the new Autohome. I've been looking at that setup for awhile...just struggling w/ cost.

Well done!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Just found this thread. The name says it all "Multi-Use". I think that is always the biggest challenge, to be able to set things up for the fun stuff but still be able to use it to pay the bills.

There's always the temptation to travel down to Farkle Town, but then my frugality kicks in and keeps the truck additions realistic. Snorkels and thirty seven inch tires aren't needed in the environs around here unless you travel to a pay-to-play offroad park and that just ain't my thing. Luckily many mods done for "overlanding" work hand in hand with setting up the truck for work. The best example would be in the suspension where not only do I get some extra ground clearance but also benefit from a higher payload limit. I'd much rather keep a vehicle as a comfortable runner than a show piece any day.

Well done!

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Fafhrd gets some "Porches"

Here's the finished “porches” version 2.0…
DSCN0013.jpg

These turned out much better than my first prototype. Their made from consumer grade aluminum scaffolding planks made by Werner mounted to thick walled 2” aluminum angle. Than attached to the rails using stainless fasteners with capture nuts that slide in the rails slot. Their pretty stout and don't flex at all under my weight. Slots cut into each outboard side of the porches allow the access ladder to mount up to either side or to have a ladder on both sides at the same time. They are painted with Dupli-Color bedliner to give the porches some extra grip on the surface.

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0011.jpg

DSCN0014.jpg

DSCN0015.jpg
DSCN0016.jpg

WASURF63

Adventurer
Nice job Mark!
The modified Werner mini scaffold step is a brilliant idea. Looks very stout,
and will also be much nicer on the feet than your prototypes.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. But a buddy of mine stopped by the house and asked when I was going to mount the last plank on the top rack to complete my truck mounted picnic table.

...and will also be much nicer on the feet than your prototypes.

Michelle actually likes the feel of the prototype better as there's a little give under one's feet but the planks are much stouter for sure and sure look a lot better.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Just a couple pics from this weekend...

102_3858.jpg

102_3870.jpg

Awesome March weather made for a happy family.

102_3866.jpg

102_3864.jpg

102_3859.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Fafhrd gets a girlfriend...

After a night of sneaking out of the clanhold to go honky tonkin', that redneck truck of mine turned up with this little tart…

100_3162.jpg

She's bad news I tell you but I can see what attracted poor innocent Fafhrd…

100_3164.jpg

...poor boy didn't stand a chance.

Apparently my wife took a liking to her and as it seems to be hanging around the house for a while she might as well haul the family to those everyday places…

100_3161.jpg

100_3165.jpg

I just hope we don't end up with a litter of yappy Tacomas one of these days. :elkgrin:

And no she's not colored ExPo White but rather Great Deal Vanilla.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

Vanilla is always a good flavor, especially when topped with a slice of V8! Nice looking ride......MAACO can fix any color issues it has!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Put in a new passenger side front CV axle yesterday. The boot was torn and with the axle being the original piece with 89,000 miles on it might as well just swap it out for a new one. So for the record that's 89,000 miles on the truck (68,000 with a 2.5" lift and no differential drop) and I've swapped a speared inner boot on the drivers side with a new boot at around 40,000 miles (what a PITA that was), replaced the drivers side front CV axle with a new unit at 75,000 miles and now the passengers side is R&R'd at 89,000 miles. Not to bad as with my old Dodge I had to replace the front hub bearing units on the solid front axle every year. Man, those 1st generation Rams ate HBUs like M&Ms not to mention doing the same with front brake pads.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Here's some shots of Fafhrd on our latest trip. We went south and then east to run the mountains and cruise the beach.

100_3200.jpg

DSCN0093.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

DSCN0096-001.jpg

100_3185.jpg

WASURF63

Adventurer
Congrats on 20 yrs!
Looks like you guys had a great kidless getaway together.
Your Magg RTT seems to be working out pretty well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach