Haggis' Multi-Use Tundra Build

Morgaine and Vanye (Cherryh)....maybe we need to start a book thread?
CJ Cherryh (and the contributors to Thieves' World) always wrote the best heroines..."reckless women with razor blades and dice in their eyes" kind of girls :D. If you wanna start that thread over by the campfire I'm sure the three of us can keep it running :elkgrin:!
"...they were by nature, except for their companionship, loners; and as such were almost always adventuring, tramping, exploring, or escaping from the deadly consequences of past misdeeds and misjudgements."
Signature line material :cool:

So what other plans for the truck? I noticed the link in your first post just goes to a thread about somebody selling a roof rack :(.

I don't suppose you have a Leiber quote appropriate for Engels or rooftop tents...
:hehe:

-Sean

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
So what other plans for the truck? I noticed the link in your first post just goes to a thread about somebody selling a roof rack :(.

I don't suppose you have a Leiber quote appropriate for Engels or rooftop tents...

-Sean

After the lift, tires, liner and cap major items will be on hold. Stuff that will be done soon include CB install, water tank, and sleeping platform. After the dust settles and the funds get set aside, a set of rock rails will get mounted and I really want a Flippac for travelling. My wife loves her Fleetwood Evolution pop-up, but I feel tethered when it's on the truck.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner

-Sean

How's this: "Indoors and warm and comforted, a man is blind. Out here we see the stars, we hear the rustle and tramp of life, we crouch like hunters in a stony blind straining with our sense..." from "The Cloud of Hate". Not exactly on target but close.

dyogim

Explorer
For the rear suspension, I'd suggest going with a set of Deaver springs made to your specs. The stock springs, even with an AAL, will sag when some weight is put in the back. The other option is for air bags in the rear.

Great truck choice!!!! :D

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Fafhrd gets topped off

Picked up the cap yesterday. For those just tuning in, I picked this cap up used from the dealership for $200 bucks and it was orginally grey in color. I had a buddy of mine that has a hot rod shop shoot some color on it. Traded him two cases of log home caulk that's been sitting on my inventory shelves for the work. I love the barter system. Once home I installed new raingutter mounts and got my Yakima racks on. Also "installed' the all important ExPo swag so people step back in respect and awe. Good to go! Now it's time to go earn a living.

102_3102a.jpg

Next should be more "exciting" mods, such as lift and tires. Can't wait to have the time to actually get this truck somewhere other than Mundania (that's a Xanth reference for those following along with the old fantasy book sub-thread here :)).

Last edited:

RoundOut

Explorer
For the rear suspension, I'd suggest going with a set of Deaver springs made to your specs. The stock springs, even with an AAL, will sag when some weight is put in the back. The other option is for air bags in the rear.

Great truck choice!!!! :D

X2. I love my Deavers. While your at it, get the baja bushings for it. The urethane ones squeak horribly. The Baja Bushings have a small gap between the eye of the leaf spring and the mounting flange that allow you to spray some lubricant/grease in the uniballs to eliminate squeaks. I am pleased. This works way better than all the other efforts I have tried so far.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Not a whole lot to report but thought an update was due. I have a couple of boxes sitting in the garage with good stuff to put on the truck. Waiting for the new rims to get here, but the tires are waiting for them down at my tire guy's shop. I'm putting on a set of Dean Mud Terrian SXTs 285/75/16s. I'd prefer the ******** Cepek FC IIs that I ran on the Ram, but the Deans are a much better deal and have preformed very well on the Jeep. The Jeep and the Tun will have the same size tires. Once everything is here the mods will start again. I've got a small log repair job down in Virginia to do and will be staying at Jims place. He's gonna help me throw the lift on. It will be like old times. James and I use to wrench, pull motors and trannies, rag on each others junk and bench race all the time. Then Jim and my sister moved to a more civilized place and we don't get to wrench that much anymore.

Oh, I got my water tank built. It was real hard. I walked into Tractor Supply and they had a 25 gallon sprayer unit complete with 12v pump, pressure switch, hose, 5" fill and hose and nozzle for less than the tank I was pricing. It has mounting bosses molded into it, it's approved for potable water and works real nice. It'll be nice done on the Cape come September. Waiting for the Cb Antenna mount to get here before I install the CB. I'm stealing Jim's idea of using a T-100 hood mount for the firestick.

Impressions so far:
*Drives like a dream. That 4.7 is one sweet mill. Gas mileage is still hovering around 17 mpg. I haven't taken it backroad exploring yet. The tires on it now are just about shot and with our springtime mud they're just not up to the task.
*I really surprised by the number of guys who dig the truck. Most are old school solid axle guys that just aren't happy with the new domestic trucks.
*The backseat setup really bugs me. The set-up in the Ram was way better with the underseat storage and tilt back seat. Also I miss my old console on the Ram. It was nice to be able to slide Gazetteers under the console and not down around the sides of the seats.
*Michelle likes driving it and sometimes I find it gone from the garage when I head out in the morning. Guess I have to slum it and drive the Jeep. Woe is me.:sombrero:

jim65wagon

Can't wait to see it. I'm curious to park the two together to see the actual size difference. I've got the garage cleaned up so we have access to all the tools easily. Did you find the T100 CB mount, then? Can't wait to tear apart a vehicle that's not mine again!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Can't wait to see it. I'm curious to park the two together to see the actual size difference. I've got the garage cleaned up so we have access to all the tools easily. Did you find the T100 CB mount, then? Can't wait to tear apart a vehicle that's not mine again!

CB mount should be here tomorrow or there abouts. Rims came in today and they're sitting down at Frans waiting to get the Deans mounted. I'll snap a photo of 'em when I get them back.

Just remember James, that if you help tear it apart you've got to help put it back together again.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Impressions so far:
*Drives like a dream. That 4.7 is one sweet mill. Gas mileage is still hovering around 17 mpg.

The 2UZFE V8 is the best Toyota motor I ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of Toyotas. I had the same motor in my Land Cruiser.

I even drove a 2wd Tundra for about 6 months and I loved it then too.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
x3

I've never owned any Toyotas before this one but I LOVE my little 4.7, what a sweet power-plant. I'm a turbo diesel guy but the 4.7 is a hot rod and only lacks in fuel economy compared to my bigger diesel trucks.

With "Rocket 88" 4.88 gears and that low first gear ratio in the A/T the thing really launches if I put my foot in it from a stop (rare).

The 2UZFE V8 is the best Toyota motor I ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of Toyotas. I had the same motor in my Land Cruiser.

I even drove a 2wd Tundra for about 6 months and I loved it then too.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That is true for me, a full-size diesel pickup guy until very recently. I have told a few friends if I was in the market for a new full-size pickup I would likely buy a Tundra (it was tempting a few months ago when there was 0% for 60-months).

snip.......

*I really surprised by the number of guys who dig the truck. Most are old school solid axle guys that just aren't happy with the new domestic trucks.

snip

RoundOut

Explorer
x3

I've never owned any Toyotas before this one but I LOVE my little 4.7, what a sweet power-plant. I'm a turbo diesel guy but the 4.7 is a hot rod and only lacks in fuel economy compared to my bigger diesel trucks.

With "Rocket 88" 4.88 gears and that low first gear ratio in the A/T the thing really launches if I put my foot in it from a stop (rare).

X3 again! = 4.7L Sequoia, 4.7L Tundra, 4.7L 4Runner. I am quite fond of the 2UZFE platform, too. We have three 2003's in our livery. I was impressed with the performance I got out of mine and my wife's until I bought the 4Runner for my daughter. That 4.7 in the 4Runner 4WD is a rocket ship! On the light 4Runner 4WD, it accelerates like a sportscar. I bet there are not many production domestic vehicles, save the Mustangs and Corvettes, etc., that can beat that little white 4Runner off the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues