Hauling wood in ??

86cj

Explorer
Whole damned topic's a pathetic mess. When did mankind become so neutered? Camping without a campfire? BLM ticketing for nails?? Doing a bunch of finicky work, using a $100 bin to transport wood scrap, or using 'processed log products' for firewood?
Everything's been deconstructed. Even camping.

The problem is people let Tom-Tom take them where they are now the food, and 7-11 teaches them how to make their first fire, without a cell signal no Siri, then nothing to fall back on. We here are all very aware of those issues and use our brains to make sure we survive another day, without Tom-Tom Siri or 7-11.

The rest actually do need common sense spelled out with a test at the end, but don't keep score.

Camping instructions.jpg

Last edited:
Let me suggest woks for use as firepans. They are inexpensive in Chinatown, come in many sizes, are stable on three stones or a depression in the ground, moveable if the wind shifts, and leave no trace.

I have a compost bucket in my rig. The morning after a fire, I dump the ashes into the compost; it helps with odor control. Alternatively, you could scatter the ashes. That's what we do on backcountry trail crew campsite maintenance (after sifting out the unburnables).

dlh62c

Explorer
I don't transport firewood like I used to. When I did, I didn't stack it on the ground, I pulled it from the pickup bed as it was needed.

On one occasion, I purchased some bundled firewood from a gas station not far from a park. Even upon producing a paid receipt, a ranger seemed to frown on it.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Hi Kevin, I took no personal offense, I could care less that someone thinks defining something as "unessential" somehow makes them superior. Me, I just came back from three days in the wilderness, where my unessential campfire provided light, warmth and heat to grill my steaks.

That is a great proverb though. I love old Native American sayings. Here is one of my favorites:

'Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket.'

Oh, and I typically bury my firepit when I'm done with it. Tread Lightly, my friends.

rgallant

Adventurer
Well a fire may not essential, but I like having one. I like the smell and scent of a fire, and I enjoy cooking over an open fire. And I always bring my own wood, about a dozen pieces for a 7 day trip, that way I always have at least some dry wood, add some local gather and I am fine. But I have no more fire than I need for a frying pan.

I have seen the huge stupid fires, and had put out fires that were not put right, reported idiots who felt the fire ban did not apply to them. You can not stop stupid no matter how hard you try, all you can do is not be part of the stupid.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Racist fire statement?

Really? :rolleyes:

Leave it to Ex-Po to pull the race card, and challenge political correctness over a commonly used name for a camp fire.

Seriously, get over it.

As a society we have become so concerned about political correctness that nothing is correct enough, and somebody always seems upset enough to complain.

Everybody wants things sugar coated and spoon fed.

I've always called it a white man fire, and I always will, because that's the common term that has described it for decades.

And yes, I'm white. Oops, I mean caucasian ;)

Boy that's all horse**** and Marxist dialectic class division bull**** too. The label asserts wastefulness. That's what it means, whether you know it or not. It's even funnier that you defend it while (rightfully) complaining about political correctness. The whole 'social justice' thing has poisoned nearly every aspect of our lives.

/

I want to go back and mock the very open of this topic, where the idea of using a PELICAN CASE to transport FIREWOOD was brought up. Just uproariously stupid-funny. A $300 case when a $10 tote would do. Is this what ExPo is? Finding the most expensive and cumbersome way to do everything? It's ludicrous. Our entire society has become self-satirizing.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
This guy gets it.

It's an old joke/proverb: The red man builds a small fire and sits close. A white man builds a big fire and sits far away.

Don't be so sensitive. It's funny. Both sides of my lineage are laughing.

95b4c78d99baed82097a0ee1d17d3056.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I have seen the huge stupid fires, and had put out fires that were not put right, reported idiots who felt the fire ban did not apply to them. You can not stop stupid no matter how hard you try, all you can do is not be part of the stupid.

Pretty good way to put it.

I normally stick with "You can't fix stupid" :sombrero:

Unfortunately (and fortunately in some regards) the folks that generally build such fires do not post in forums like these.

So the crew here, and especially the ones that came up in arms with my little comment are not the ones that need scrutinizing of their campfires.

Is what it is...

GregSplett

Adventurer
Dimensional lumber burns to quick for me to haul it out in the woods.Used to in my younger years as I framed houses and it was plentiful and it stacks well.My advice,after burning kiln dried dimensional lumber,wood be to stick with chord wood.Way more bang for the weight and space taken.

These days I load the Titanium wine glasses and the Costco hot dogs and back up to the wood pile and fill up the gaps.I can usually get a third of a chord with the chainsaw and the splitting maul included.Then I go out in the woods to my favorite spot and set up the thousand dollar tent and the solar powered lantern and I light a fire.Then I go and chop down a standing dead tree and buck it up and burn that too,and absolutely none of it is necessary,just a damn good time.

On a couple of the popular river bars,Pallet fires have definitely caused some serious grief.I do believe that it is legal to burn dimensional lumber in my state.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Firewood is dirty to haul and has bugs in it. This year I stocked up with drift wood from the lake shore. It's clean enough to lick. Anybody can buy wood or bring scrap building materials but any thing you can do to make a camping experiance special is worth it. In December a buddy snagged a few pieces of the drift wood for artistic reasons. He was not the first to fall in love with a piece enough to keep it but last weekend I saw it mounted to his trailer door. He named it the Dune Devil. I didn't think to take a pic but here is the boat loaded with the clean wood. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...r-Arizona-Storm/page2?highlight=Lake+pleasant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz