Hello I am new also....

iron pig

I am glad I found this sight since I am getting ready to make a LC purchase here in the next month or so. I am leaning towards the FJ55 simply because it is so ugly it is beautiful. I am also picking up at least two Toyota trucks for support vehicles to hold the wall tents and the coking equipment and supplies.

Do any of you have any tips as to what I should look for in buying a FJ55? Are there any major things I should look?

By the way I have been browsing the site tonight and I really enjoy what I see so far.

Thanks in advance of any advice.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I would look for and expect rust. I've only seen a few old FJ55's that didn't have rust somewhere.

What sort of use are you going to put this vehicle up to?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
FJ55s are very cool. As Bryan said its going to be hard to find one without any rust. Good luck in your search!!

iron pig

I am planning a desert excursion business where I lead clients into the desert on specific trails and show them some interesting sites and provide a encampment complete with large luxury tents and gourmet meals. I wanted to use the FJ55 because of it's nostalgic look and safari type feel.

I really do not want to invest $50k into a Defender 110.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
iron pig said:
I am planning a desert excursion business where I lead clients into the desert on specific trails and show them some interesting sites and provide a encampment complete with large luxury tents and gourmet meals. I wanted to use the FJ55 because of it's nostalgic look and safari type feel.

I really do not want to invest $50k into a Defender 110.

Very nostalgic for sure. Painfully slow and uncomfortable, but certainly nostalgic.

I know all about nostalgic. I did most of my camping and wheeling in a 1957 Willy's Wagon. It barely did 60 mph on the fwy.

I assisted with an FJ55 - 350 Chevy conversion several years ago (before digital cameras and the internet) and the results were a very nice and functional vehicle.

The absolute coolest FJ55 ever is a Toyota V8 conversion using the running gear out of a new Land Cruiser. Perhaps someone will point us towards that build-up? Can't remember where it is...

You may look at FJ60/62's also. I've seen some nice ones around the last few years that are still very mechanically sound.

cruiser guy

Explorer
'55's are cool! We have a '76 FJ55 that we have put a turbo-diesel into. It needs a little more work before it is completely finished after the restoration. definitely cool and retro though especially with the two tone white/color paint scheme (ours is the OEM green and white)!

As others have said, rust is a real issue with these trucks and parts are getting hard to find. Some parts are obsolete and some are being made as replicas and some are simply NOT available!

Production ended in '79.

iron pig

So based on what I have seen posted would you all recommend a FJ60/62 more than the FJ55? If so which one has the round headlights? I have seen the body styles with both round and rectangular headlights but would prefer the round ones.

Also could I get an opinion on my expedition idea? I want to know what you all think.

cruiser guy

Explorer
The '60 is the older model with the round headlight and manual tranny. The '62 is an auto tranny with the square lights and more creature comforts (it was an early version "mall 'Cruiser").

For what you are doing I would look at the newer trucks, '80 or even the '100 series. They don't have that rugged look but they will be more comfortable and easier to repair (getting parts for the older trucks will be your problems not the difficulty to work on them). Remember, the newest '60/62 is nearly 20 years old and the newest '55 is nearly 30 years old!

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Welcome.

Go with the 60 series IMHO. They still have that classic look and better highway manners (in addition to A/C and power steering). Just expect slow highway speeds.

iron pig

No I haven't talked to Mike Slade, I do like that link though. I am just in the planning stage and was looking for a good lead vehicle as well as a couple of support vehicles ( to carry the tents, kitchen, and other niceties). After looking around I decided that Toyotas would would work as well as give a classy look considering my clients will be following me in Lexus', Mercedes', and other luxury SUV's.

I will look into the FJ60's, thanks for the advice. I am not to concerned about highway speeds, I will have clients following me anyways.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I believe the 60 series vehicles are my favorite. I was actually shopping for a 60 series but my wife wanted something newer.

This is one of my favorites. It was for sale on ebay a few years ago and I wanted to buy it very badly. This one had Old Man Emu suspension, 33" tires, and ARB bumper, sliders, roof rack, etc. Very functional.

They are "classy" looking and you can still have one in very good condition if you are willing to search hard.

Definitely check out the 60 series forum at Ih8mud.com for tons of information.

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Welcome Iron Pig. I owned a 1978 FJ55. It needed a little TLC when I got her but I brought her back running strong. Anway, looks are VERY cool, but in my opinion (and I would be shot if this were posted elsewhere) the FJ60 is simply a better truck from usability, ease of work, parts, etc. I would argue that the FJ60 has the equivalent look for what you're after (yes those are the one's with the round headlights).

One thing I didn't like about the Pig was that the driver's seat by default isn't centered against the steering wheel. When you drive you actually don't look down the steering shaft, you are offset to it. Neither here nor there, just really odd.

Where are you located?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl