Hello Miss FJ62. Flaco's dream.

Throttle body has been clean for a week now. I got the plenum off and tried cleaning it, but it is really gummed up. I sacrificed my camelback bladder brush, but did not have much/any luck.

I'd like to soak it in some sort of solvent, but the EGR valve and a sensor are still connected to the plenum. And I dont really want to take those off.

bomar

Adventurer
Throttle body has been clean for a week now. I got the plenum off and tried cleaning it, but it is really gummed up. I sacrificed my camelback bladder brush, but did not have much/any luck.

I'd like to soak it in some sort of solvent, but the EGR valve and a sensor are still connected to the plenum. And I dont really want to take those off.

Just get it as clean as you can then run the seafoam deep creep and seafoam a couple of times when you get it all back together.

Have you gotten the hose yet?

I bet the ERG valve is bad anyway.

Just get it as clean as you can then run the seafoam deep creep and seafoam a couple of times when you get it all back together.

Have you gotten the hose yet?

I bet the ERG valve is bad anyway.

Not yet. I sure hope the EGR valve isnt bad, thats $130 bucks I dont have. But I do have a few quarters and a couple pieces of scrap metal....

I really wish I could desmog the truck..................................
68197_583190470081_62002887_32876302_6790292_n.jpg

I've got like nine months till it needs inspection again... I wonder if I can just mask it with a dual battery setup, second alternator (to replace smogpump) etc.

Last edited:

njtaco

Explorer
Do you have a California spec truck? If you do, blocking the egr will throw a CEL. If not, no EGR sensor on a 49 state truck and no problem.

The fix? Source a 49 state computer. It should plug right in. Mine did...I think I paid about 60 bucks for it on EBay.

Do you have a California spec truck? If you do, blocking the egr will throw a CEL. If not, no EGR sensor on a 49 state truck and no problem.

The fix? Source a 49 state computer. It should plug right in. Mine did...I think I paid about 60 bucks for it on EBay.

Not sure?

Bought from nephew of original owner who bought the truck in Texas. But, Texas has emissions testing... Whenever I get the intake plenum back on, I'm going to attempt blocking it off and see how things go.

njtaco

Explorer
Look for the sensor on the EGR valve...I'll try to taker a pic tonight and post up. Looking at the wiring diagram in the FSM, the only difference in the harness is this sensor. The computer is a different p/n too. Maybe look under the dash and post up your computer's p/n and someone will be able to say if it is Cali or 49 state. I think there is a list on 'mud with part numbers too.

njtaco

Explorer
Look for the sensor on the EGR valve...I'll try to take a pic tonight and post up. Looking at the wiring diagram in the FSM, the only difference in the harness is this sensor. The computer is a different p/n too. Maybe look under the dash and post up your computer's p/n and someone will be able to say if it is Cali or 49 state. I think there is a list on 'mud with part numbers too.

Last edited:

njtaco

Explorer
There isnt a sensor ON the EGR only vacuum lines and such.

Oops, the sensor must be on the housing the EGR valve mounts to. It senses whether or not the EGR valve is working my taking its temperature. Well, the temperature of the gasses flowing through the housing.

Post 13 HERE shows where it is, sort of...

ETA: I don't remember where exactly it is...I'll post a pic tonight of my 3FE, which has the sensor.

Last edited:

bomar

Adventurer
No cel with EGR removal.

Yes you can just remove the EGR. Then cap the smog pump port on air filter and air line.

attachment.php

I just picked up a couple freeze plugs that are supposed to work 3/4 and one thats about 21mm to remove the EGR.

Now, Bomar, which ones are you talking about capping?
The two with the arrows?

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 10
If I haven't said so lately, I appreciate all the help guys!

It has actually been fun tearing the truck apart. I need to get it back together though so I can get it back on the road to see if it will run any better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad